• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

* Separations for Wedges...thoughts

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
So, I think I'm posting this just to get someone to tell me that what I think is right, in other words, to talk me out of doing something that would be stupid.

Right now, I play Wilson Harmonized wedges (52, 55, 60 - no idea on bounce), and they're alright, but lack some of the feel I'd like sometimes and just generally aren't as nice as anything else in my bag. I know this is stupid, but everything else in there is so nice, why am I playing ass wedges? Anyhow..

Being that I'm playing a set of MX23s....the PW is only 46*. A dude on ebay is selling a set of 53-8*, 56-10*, and 60-05* Mizuno MP-T Black Nickel wedges, which I like. However, I think the separation between the 46 and 53 might be too large to make it worth it for me. I'm pretty sure if I were to get those wedges, I should probably go with a 51/56/60 combination instead of 53.

I know the answer. I just need someone else to tell me. Hoing is so easy otherwise.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If it's worth anything, I just got a wedge from NSherman, an MP forged Mizuno and it's the cat's ass. Seriously, i would almost venture to say that it's better than a Cleveland. So much so, it forced me to sell my Cleveland 51* on the spot.

I play (now) with a 53*(Miz), 56*(Cally Vintage) and a 60* (Cleveland Gunmetal 588 forged) lob. I find that perfect. My wedge is 48* (MP-33), which provides great seperation. My 53 is good for about 120, the 56 to about 95 and the lob to about 75 yards. That's with a 3/4 swing.

I'm not saying you have ass wedges, but you should definitely go for the MIzuno's. If you hate them, i'll buy them from you. They're phenomenal.

Are you sure your PW is 46*? That seems harsh.

R35

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Yeah, shovels are always lower lofts to increase distance - or at least that's my understanding of it.

PW 46° 63.0° 35.25" 6° .15" - right from the Miz site.

It's kinda weird, I don't hit my wedges as far as a lot of people. I get good air out of them, but not much distance. I use a 3/4 or 1/2 swing as well and my 52 goes about 100 if I crank on it but I prefer it for 80-90, 55 is 60-85, and 60 is 50 - 70. As far as I know, I don't scoop them, I think it's just something in my swing though.

My 46 PW is in the vicinity of 90 - 130 (if I crank it). It's money for me between 100 - 110.

I think I need a 51 or 52 for appropriate separation from my 46, I think 53 is pushing it, given my distances with wedges.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
The PW is 46 degree. I would say the 51 would give you a better gap. Of course you coud buy those if they are a good deal and have the 53 bent to a 51.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
i play a 46 degree PW with a 53 degree gap wedge. not the best distance gap, but it works fine for me. Maybe i'll bend the 53 up a few degrees, who knows? But the real question is: have you tried Nike wedges?

beats the mizunos IMO, thats why rock has one now

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
nsherman2006 said:
But the real question is: have you tried Nike wedges?

beats the mizunos IMO, thats why rock has one now

You silly, silly man. :p

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Why sweat it? Get the wedges, you know you'll like 2 of the 3. You can decide on the 53 after you have it. If you don't like it, stay with your 52 and look around for a 51. Buy the 51 when you find it, and sell everything else you don't need/want to recoup some funds.

Or, as obagain suggests, have the 53 bent.

FWIW, the bounciest wedges are usually the 55/56, which are pretty standard lofts for "sand wedges." Your current PW has 6* by your numbers, and the gap should have about the same. The lob should have that or less.
A ho is born. ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You'd be surprised how far you can hit a golf ball with a cat's ass.

Try it out for yourself. Be sure the range is good and full, because people will be staring....

R35

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Nope, I've decided not to ho...yet.

I'll wait until I have a job for the summer. My student line of credit will only go so far and there's two years of school left! Food before wedges :)

for now

davevandyk

Mar 9, 2005
I have a great setup with 4 wedges now. I have taken the 3 iron out of the bag, because honestly how many do you hit?? I use a 5 wood off tight holes so i might use the 3 iron once or twice every couple rounds. I have a 48* PW, 51*GW bent to 52*, 55*SW, and 59*LW.

Works for me

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
my pw is listed as 45 degrees, then i have the tom watson set of a 52 degree GW, 56 SW, 60 LW, i have a big gap but i like to feel confident in my ability to lay off a pitching wedge in order to fill that gap, either wait for something that suits you better, or as several people have said to get some bent

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Since we have the same irons I'll throw in my .$.02. I have a 51 and 56 and that seems to work ok for me. At this point I don't think I have the game for a 60 but someday......

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
46, 52 (bent from 54), 56, 60. All hogans. The feel around the greens is awesome. I bet thos mizunos would be sweet though.

I'd really test our your bounce though. I had some clevelands with too much bounce and all I did was blade them. I personally like a little less bounce because of my steepness of my swing.

🔥 Latest posts