• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sergio Garcia's Swing

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
The last 2 monthes I have been doing a lot of research on Sergio's swing. I just bought his book yesterday in an effort to transform my swing into his which is quite possibly the most efficient ball striker of this era.

From what I gather so far here are the points of his swing, there are some I am looking for drills to help me transform my swin.

1.) Narrow stance that allows him to get a full shoulder turn.

2.) Has a flying right elbow which is probably the most natural feeling way to swing a club.

3.) Is at a layed off position, his club points left of the target.

4.) Drops the club so he gets into a position similar to Ben Hogan half way down. (Having trouble making this drop)

5.) does not use his arms or hands from then on out, just turns and allows the arms to whip around his body squaring the clubface naturally.

6.) Follows through down the line and in perfect balance.

What is a good way to practice this drop. I have been using a heavy club but even still it seems unnatural. Does anyone else have any tips?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I don't think you should consciously "drop the club". Rather, the right elbow leads the way. Look at this sequence. His right elbow does fly up a bit on the backswing, but look at the two downswing frames I've highlighted. His hips are turning, and his right elbow is practically glued to the right hip, leading the club into a position where centripetal force brings the clubhead down to impact. Garcia's right elbow, even though it "flys" on the backswing, is in a perfect position on the downswing, and the club has naturally dropped into position. Harvey Penick suggest doing a slow-motion drill in which you slowly take the club to the top, then VERY SLOWLY bring the right elbow down to the right hip, keeping the left arm as straight as possible. Repeat 20 times a night.
Garcia swing sequence.jpg

BladerHater

Feb 22, 2008
I would have to say practice the cradle drill by "Moe Norman". You will notice that all the great ballstrikers have straight arms in the swing only for a millisecond. So pretend at the top that you are cradling a baby, now drop it into the slot and start turning over that clubface. Impact should still be in the cradle, then arms go past the body. Right palm to the target and look for the ball in the hole. I agree that he is a great example of a solid ballstriker. He gets 250 out of his 3iron just because he has flexed arms and quick release. I hit my 3 iron like 220 because of my new swing.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
The last 2 months I have been doing a lot of research on Sergio's swing. I just bought his book yesterday in an effort to transform my swing into his
May i ask why as you are already-1.7?
which is quite possibly the most efficient ball striker of this era.

From what I gather so far here are the points of his swing, there are some I am looking for drills to help me transform my swing.

1.) Narrow stance that allows him to get a full shoulder turn.

2.) Has a flying right elbow which is probably the most natural feeling way to swing a club.
Does not have a flying right elbow, he delays the engagement of the wrists in his backswing, but if you get a down the line look at this swing his right elbow is in a great position fully supporting the club and not flying.

3.) Is at a layed off position, his club points left of the target.
It is laid off, but this again is a forerunner to his delay in engagement of the wrists

4.) Drops the club so he gets into a position similar to Ben Hogan half way down. (Having trouble making this drop).
This drop is made by a slight loss in height in the knees and his hips turning back toward the target creating the downlag similar to Hogan.

5.) does not use his arms or hands from then on out, just turns and allows the arms to whip around his body squaring the clubface naturally.
He does use his hands and arms slightly to stop the face rotating and starts his shots on a good line with little movement which requires precise timing, Sergio's big problem is when he shallows too much and struggles to release resulting in misses both left and right

6.) Follows through down the line and in perfect balance.

What is a good way to practice this drop. I have been using a heavy club but even still it seems unnatural. Does anyone else have any tips?

The shallowing of Sergio's swing is a mix of what he does on the backswing (Wrist cock delay) and what he does on the downswing (knee height drop and turning of the hips towards the target whilst stopping his shoulders from spinning out too quick), Sergio's swing is very athletic and some may argue very unique and hard to copy.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I know you know what you're talking about, but in the sequence I posted, I don't see any evidence of "knee-drop". It seems clear to me that his lag is created by the right elbow coming down and forward. This is not a unique move - all good players do it - but it is how he gets the club into position for his release.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I know you know what you're talking about, but in the sequence I posted, I don't see any evidence of "knee-drop". It seems clear to me that his lag is created by the right elbow coming down and forward. This is not a unique move - all good players do it - but it is how he gets the club into position for his release.
That sequence is six of years old and since then Sergio's swing has shortened slightly and in the latest Golf International UK magazine there is a noticeable knee sag, the chain reaction of his moves made by his body make his right arm drop into the right positions i.e the hips allow the drop into the gap created

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
That sequence is six of years old and since then Sergio's swing has shortened slightly and in the latest Golf International UK magazine there is a noticeable knee sag, the chain reaction of his moves made by his body make his right arm drop into the right positions i.e the hips allow the drop into the gap created
Thanks for clearing that up.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
You don't need a narrow stance for a full shoulder turn, not at all.

His right elbow returns to his right side as he uncoils, it doesn't drop. His first move is a lateral move of the hips THEN the right arm returns in.

He has an early wrist set and holds onto it, hence the lag, this is why you will struggle to replicate it if you have a late set. Tom Watson has a very early release, Nicklaus somewhere in the middle and Hogan late, as Garcia, there is no right or wrong way with this, you may be trying to replicate something you don't need to.

Nemo

Just trying to suck less
Oct 27, 2007
I just read Bobby Clampett's book and Clampett has total wood over Sergio's swing. Clampett believes Sergio has the best (which in Clampett's mind means most) lag in golf. I don't claim to know anything about a golf swing but Clampett's book made a lot of sense to me. To him a proper swing is all about increasing lag and achieving a swing bottom 4" in front of the ball.

So if it's the lag you're looking for the Clampett book is a good place to get some drills & concepts. There is also specific talk about your points 5 & 6 above,

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Er, its all about getting the ball in the hole, lag is meaningless in that regard, Nicklaus and Watson, Trevino, these guys had nowhere near the lag Garcia has. Clampett was/is a robot, although I still think he swings the club beautifully, but the point is there is more than one way to swing a cat. Big muscle body swingers will lag, otther such as Azinger won't.

I prefer Olazabals swing to Garcia's tbh.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
He has an early wrist set and holds onto it,I have to disagree on this point due to the positions captured in Golf International April 08 issue, due to the length of his arm swing and the laid off position of his club, his lag is created in the downswing with a marked increase in angle.
<!-- google_ad_section_end --><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-/><o:p> </o:p>
I just read Bobby Clampett's book and Clampett has total wood over Sergio's swing. Clampett believes Sergio has the best (which in Clampett's mind means most) lag in golf. I don't claim to know anything about a golf swing but Clampett's book made a lot of sense to me. To him a proper swing is all about increasing lag and achieving a swing bottom 4" in front of the ball.

I have also read Clampetts book and whilst there are some valid points in there i think that he holds onto a lot of the golf machine theory regarding impact fix and flat left wrist bent right wrist dynamics at impact. Thats not to say it wont help the average golfer's impact dynamics by moving their impact forward.

I think Ollie was a great iron player but always struggled with his driver due to his angle of attack and maybe early ruminations of a semi stack and tilt technique.

I also agree that lag isnt everything and it isnt something you can just create, your positions beforehand must dictate the lead up to creating more lag.

YouTube - Sergio Garcia Swing Vision Interesting narrative from Kostis where he does comment about a narrow stance facilitating a large turn, it also may cause some unsteadiness in a less nimble golfer than Sergio

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Ok 'early'subjective term, I certainly think he sets them earlier than Greg Norman:D

🔥 Latest posts