• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

serious question

It's what I know and where my family is. I moved to Myrtle Beach for a year but just felt like a fish out of water. I prefer to be closer to family. Plus summer sucks down south. You can brag about it now but come August you'll be going from AC in the car to AC in the house and certainly not playing any golf.

Actually, there's advantages to both, north and south. It's what you want.

Most of the higher paying jobs are up north. That's what I found working for a large company for almost six years in North Carolina. I transferred from the same company up north and the difference in wages was unbelieveable. Of course, so was the cost of living which probably made things even out.

North: I used to race snowmobiles (at 100 mph straightaways and 80 around corners on 1/2 mile ice oval tracks. That was a rush. I also ice fished in luxurious "shanties" with wood stoves and lot's of beer. Cross country skied also. Never tried downhill. Didn't golf seriously so didn't mind the winters. But I was young also. Lakes in the summer where you can go swimming in clean, fresh water. Tornados.

South: Climate is absolutely fantastic and in NC we did have four seasons but the fall and winter were very short. TICKS everywhere. Lived in the city of Hendersonville and you'd walk down the sidewalk, get home, and pick ticks off you. I've never seen anything like that. Golf was great and mountains were beautiful. Lakes were ugly and full of moccasins. Brown water? Deer were the size of dogs so never went hunting there. Hurricanes.

NOW: I'm old and hate the winter. I don't race snowmobiles or ride them anymore (back) and hate the cold so don't ski or ice fish. I do love deer hunting up here where the deer are huge. I'd like to retire in the south but Florida has hurricanes and too many old people clogging up the highways. I know because many had summer homes in NC and would clog up the highways there in the summer. Envy the year around golf but can get in a car and drive south to play during the winter. Just bought a house here (on beautiful Lake Michigan city of Racine - away from the drive by shootings). Anyway, family is up here and that means we can get together once in awhile. (I do have a cousin in Naples, Florida, Rev. Dr. John Lindell, retired Episcopal priest). Guess I'm stuck here forever.... :D

We bring grills, chairs and plenty of booze. :)

Nice snot rocket. Try Walleye, it tastes good. :laugh:

My Cohort in the office pulled a 13lb walleye outta the ice two days before X-mas. Great looking fish, and a solid yank through a hole. 15 minutes after the cut and he was hooked. Not a bad way to start the day off.

I live here because the summers are outstanding and there are no natural distasters whatsoever. No hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tropical storms. The winters can be harsh, but you just bunker down and adapt. Shit, it's -14 and I don't wear a hat or gloves and never zipper my jacket anymore.

R35

I live in central Mississippi. Mild winters, played 27 holes on Christmas Eve. We are on the trailing edge of a earthquake fault line but haven't had one since the Mississippi River flowed backwards in 1912 if my history lessons aren't letting me down. I have a ski/wakeboard boat that we take out to the lakes when it gets too hot to golf. Yes, it isn't much fun playing golf in 100 plus degree weather with 90 plus % humidity, ughhhhh. It's like WBL said, there are advantages to both, and this is home for me. The deer here are nice sized, we don't have walleye, but hey, a nice large-mouth bass puts up one helluva a fight!:laugh:

My summer relief

Here is my boat for when it is too hot for golf.
River trip 012.jpg

I love the hot summers!. we play golf during the summers, tee off at 8 and get done playing before it gets hot. Then I go to the lake!:laugh:......It does get cold around here, maybe a day or two when the lows are in the teens...but in just a few days it will be 60+ again........like I said before, I lived in Illinois before,.....you can have it, to each their own!

i grew up here and have spent some summers in the south. i just dont like the damn heat down there.if i win the lottery then i would maybe live in the south in the winter and up here in the summer.

Its quite simple....The cold weather keeps the RIFF RAFF out.:):):):)

Ive never lived up North but never liked the cold, Not much to complain about down here in souther California except fricken cost of living is out of control and my income isnt keeping up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520