• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SGI Irons for beginner?

PocketGroove

Jul 12, 2009
Hey Everyone, Great to have found this site.

I'm just now picking up the game again after an 11 year break and I'm checking out all the new tech. in the latest iron sets, and (HOLY CRAP!) it's got me confused. With all the game improving and super game improving and hybrid irons out there, I'm wondering where I should start (note: I have about 600-800 that I can drop on a set). So, I'm wondering if starting with some SGI irons will cause me to develop a sloppier swing from the get-go, or if those products are a good place to start.
I have the option to buy a lightly used set of TM Burner Plus combo irons on the cheap, and since they won a gold from gold digest I'm considering them. Can anyone tell me if they are a good place to start, or if they are designed for golfers who already understand their swing tendencies/deficiencies and need the club to fix the issue.

Any comments/opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Welcome back to the game :)
I cant make much in the way of reccomendations but someone should soon :)

And I am in North Texas too, so an extra Howdy to ya :)
Let me know when you are ready to play!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
looked at those on the TM website, says they have large offset.
Personally I am not a fan of large offset Irons. My Irons have little offset and I had no problem learning them. OTOH, My Driver is a an offset Driver (Adams) and it does seem to help.

Did you find these TM's on Craigslist, or through a freind ?

Here is a great deal, and hmmmmm, wouldn't you know, it's what I hit....
Used Callaway Golf Mens Right Hand Ben Hogan 2001 Apex Edge Forged 3-PW Iron Set (Average): Callaway Golf Preowned

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Contrary to what the manufactorers will tell you, iron technology hasn't really evolved that much. For $600-800 bucks you can put together a helluva bag, if you go used/preowned. What did you shoot before the lay off and has your body or physical abilities changed that much since then?

I wouldn't suggest SGI if you were a decent player before, or if you are planning on playing that much now. But if you are just going to go out with some buddies 2-3 times a year and hardly ever practice, then they may be just what you need.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
There are a lot of 2009 Irons that really, are no different than my 2001 irons :)
I have hit Callaway X20 tour, Ping G5, and Callway Big Bertha. the feel of the ball and the weight? of the Hogans seem much better.
Berthas fely like swing a cow. the G5 Offset was a mental mind barrier, and the X20 went "clunk". lol. all in my 36hc opinion of course :)

OP
P

PocketGroove

Jul 12, 2009
Thanks everyone for the comments and things to consider.

lDid you find these TM's on Craigslist, or through a friend?
A friend of mine from back east actually won the set earlier of some internet giveaway but since he's not playing them he's looking to sell.

What did you shoot before the lay off and has your body or physical abilities changed that much since then?

I wouldn't suggest SGI if you were a decent player before, or if you are planning on playing that much now.

Back when I played in high school, I admit I never really got over the beginner phase. I took weekly lessons for about 2 months and I was a fast learner, but I think I let my ego get bruised when I then went out for my school team and the coach effectively kicked me off the tryouts on the first day. He opted for a freshman girl, instead, who I remember had like 7 different woods in her bag and was chipping up with an 13 wood. lol

After 3 years active duty Army, my physical abilities have changed for the better and I'm planning on practicing, getting lessons, and putting in a moderate amount of work at the range.

And I am in North Texas too, so an extra Howdy to ya :)
Let me know when you are ready to play!

Will do! I just need to get some semblance of a swing back, find a driver and learn how to hit it (I never had one in HS), score a few lessons, and then try out the Texas Woman's University course. It's only 10 bucks for students to walk. :)

Matt

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I would suggest that if you are looking to improve quickly, as in take it serious with lessons and range time, to skip the SGI irons and move to a more normal game improvement type iron that will suit you for a while. Regular R7's, Cleveland CG Golds, and the like. For your budget, you came get a very, very nice slightly used set and bag, woods, irons and all.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
After 3 years active duty Army, my physical abilities have changed for the better and I'm planning on practicing, getting lessons, and putting in a moderate amount of work at the range.

Matt

Then I'd definitely stay away from SGI. I took a rather long lay off from golf myself. When I took it back up I let a salesman at a Big Box store talk me into a set of Cleveland HiBore hybrid irons and I hated them with a passion. They never looked right to me, didn't feel right and therefor I never really hit them that well. Plus they were $699.99 new. I dumped them for the Srixon i-506's I carry now, a players cavity back that resemble the old blades I learned to play with and the difference was night and day. Plus I picked up the Srixons off eBay for less than $200.00. :thumbs up:

You say you didn't use a driver before when you played. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to skip it again, for a while at least. The driver is the hardest club in the bag to hit, I shoot in the mid-high 80's and still have days I can't get it to cooperate. To avoid excessive frustration as you re-learn the game, teeing off with a 3 wood or a hybrid won't be a bad idea.

Speaking of hybrids, look into replacing the 3 and 4 irons of your set with a couple of hybrids. They are much easier to hit than the long irons.

turkey

Mar 24, 2009
Love my sgi irons and I'm pretty decent why make the game harder I think a lot of people that play blades let their ego get the best of them

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.