• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shaft advice

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I'm startin to think I need a new shaft in my driver...I have an R7 Superquad 9.5 with a Ust profcorce stiff shaft and have the head wieghted down....I find the shaft feels pretty floppy and I tend to launch the ball higher then i would like for it to... My swingspeed is 100- 105 with a 5 iron, not sure if that means i swing my driver faster or slower then that....Just curious of any shafts that any of you like, that have similar swing speeds ... I know for sure i need a stiff tip/ high kickpoint.... Oh and i usually hit my driver about 260 and up....so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You swing your irons at what? Time to enter the long drive competitions because you'd be in the 120+ range. X-flex shafts. :wow:

OP
M

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
Well my irons are custom made and have xx-stiff true temper shafts in em....but i cant swing my driver as hard as I want to cause it feels like i never know where the head is going to be...Its a pain mainly because i hit my 3 wood like 235- 250...and my driver only goes by it a little bit from time to time...alot of fear ingrained into my driver swing..

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Thats probably your driver swing, and you have it mixed up..

You'd need atleast a S Flex shaft, depending on which shaft/brand.. Some are stiffer or softer than others depending on the kick point, and tipping/butts... ect.

I don't understand most of it. However I do know that I have a 100mph driver swing, and I use a S flex Whiteboard that gives me great launch angle and little spin. I only get around 245-260 driver average.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
If you're afraid of your driver, and you're swinging your irons that fast, and you want stiff tip, I think your best option would be to go with Dynamic Gold X flex (steel shafts) - the length probably wouldn't be out much 43 or 43.5", so it should be controllable, but it might get you over your driver fears.

they're also like $10/ea which is kinda nice
good luck

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I would suggest trying a few different shafts and finding what suits your swing best. The IMIX system from Callaway will give you instant feedback using the same head. You can get checked on a monitor and it will immediately eliminate a wide spectrum of shafts for you and allow you to concentrate on specifics parameters, rather that just searching for a needle in the haystack.

Now, searching for that needle is fun, trust me. But, it's expensive. Trust me.:D

Go down to your local shop, tell them you're dilemma. They'll help you all they can.

R35

OP
M

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
Thats probably your driver swing, and you have it mixed up..

You'd need atleast a S Flex shaft, depending on which shaft/brand.. Some are stiffer or softer than others depending on the kick point, and tipping/butts... ect.

I don't understand most of it. However I do know that I have a 100mph driver swing, and I use a S flex Whiteboard that gives me great launch angle and little spin. I only get around 245-260 driver average.
No man, only thing i have ever been on a launch monitor with is a 5 iron..

OP
M

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I would suggest trying a few different shafts and finding what suits your swing best. The IMIX system from Callaway will give you instant feedback using the same head. You can get checked on a monitor and it will immediately eliminate a wide spectrum of shafts for you and allow you to concentrate on specifics parameters, rather that just searching for a needle in the haystack.

Now, searching for that needle is fun, trust me. But, it's expensive. Trust me.:D

Go down to your local shop, tell them you're dilemma. They'll help you all they can.

R35
Yeah I wish I had the time to do that to be honest....Just thought somone might be similar to me and have a good suggestion or baseline to start from.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yeah I wish I had the time to do that to be honest....Just thought somone might be similar to me and have a good suggestion or baseline to start from.

Way too hard to detemine based on description alone.

Here's a trial and error starter: Try something that isn't your current shaft configuration. That's pretty much all one can offer based on the limited knowledge.

Try something like a Grafalloy Blue or VS Proto 70 in S flex. Both are pretty boardy and won't feel whippy-like, like your current shaft. That might be a start.

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Listen to Rockford. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to golf shafts.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
No man, only thing i have ever been on a launch monitor with is a 5 iron..
If you are afraid of your driver, and swing 105 with an iron, sell the driver and pick up a 2 iron. It should go about 270-280 with that SS, so who needs a driver?

millrivermem said:
Just thought
somone might be similar to me and have a good suggestion or baseline
to start from.

That's pretty unlikely, given that you have a 99+th percentile swing speed. Not many people in that very small group are afraid of their driver.

🔥 Latest posts