• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft and Driver Question

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Alright, I am getting ready to get new clubs, and have decided that I want to get a Titleist 905R driver. I tried out my buddy's (9.5* w/ Grafalloy Blue stiff shaft) and couldn't keep the ball down. Every drive ballooned and then dropped like a rock. I shouldn't be surprised since I currently play with a 7.5*, but I was amazed at how much a little loft could change my distance (every drive was 20-30 yards shorter, even the pured ones).

Then I read that the Grafalloy Blue is made to help people get the ball airborne, so obviously the shaft played a part in the trajectory issue. Now my question is this: which shafts produce the lower, more penetrating trajectory I am used to? I know that the 905R doesn't come in a lower loft than 8.5*, so I am going to have to get a shaft that lowers the trajectory. I understand that kick point and tip firmness play a large part, but I'm not sure what the numbers mean of how the tips affect ball flight.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has demo'd/played with/currently is playing with the Titleist 905R, both positive and negative.

I understand that the easiest way to figure this whole mess out is to use a launch monitor, but the one at the only shop in town is currently kaput!

Thanks.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Mors,

The Graf Blue is a mid launch shaft, unlike that of the Prolaunch which is high launch.

My thoughts are that you are probably coming down vertically into the ball creating spin. Your 7.5* lofted driver is combating that, but in my experiences with myself and other that used the Blue, they could hardly get the ball off the ground because it's so tip stiff.

If you wanted to find a low launching combo, even at 8.5* in the 905, I suggest you try the ProLite from Grafalloy. It's high bend/low launch and Tour trajectory - a beast to say the least. That way, you'll have the best of both worlds, low loft and low launch.

That being said, have you ever hit a few different shafts on a monitor to see what your spin rates are? I would be surprised if you were less than 3500 with the Blue, which would cause the airball.

Just my thoughts.

R35

PS>...I'm gonna move this to the Equipment forum. Ta.

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
My thoughts are that you are probably coming down vertically into the ball creating spin. Your 7.5* lofted driver is combating that, but in my experiences with myself and other that used the Blue, they could hardly get the ball off the ground because it's so tip stiff.

I actually was thinking that it was the exact opposite, that I was hitting up on the ball (like a top hand in tennis) which was why my trajectory is lower and I get a lot of roll. I open the clubface a lot at address and take the club very inside. I figured this would keep me from coming over the top. I guess I need to get on a monitor.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Top put top spin on a drive, you'd need to either hit the ball on the upswing on the top half of the ball, or attack it from below.

That, in itself, would be a swing flaw, and not a problem of the driver.

The attack from below would be a cool to see tho. :D

R35

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Top put top spin on a drive, you'd need to either hit the ball on the upswing on the top half of the ball, or attack it from below.

That, in itself, would be a swing flaw, and not a problem of the driver.

The attack from below would be a cool to see tho. :D

R35

I had my video posted on here a while ago. You might want to find it if you want a good laugh. It's on YouTUbe, but then again, what isn't?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I saw that when you posted it and commented on your swing. It's solid, but unbalanced.

You guys need some water too. ;)

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
As an aside, I find it miraculous that I can remember a swing vid some dude from the Internet took of him swinging away on some goat pasture, yet I can't remember my sister's birthday, or where I put my PDA at work today.

LOL...

R35

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Holy Crap!!!!!!!

I went and looked at my clips out of morbid curiosity, and even though the quality sucks, I think that it shows the I AM hitting down on it. I would try to change it, but why? I hit it pretty far and I'm in the fairway over half the time (which I know isn't great, but have you seen our nonexistent rough?).

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This is what I meant by covering a swing flaw with equipment. It's pretty common.

You should first start catching the ball on the upswing instead of the other way around. Prepare for enourmous slices to start. But as you find a comfort zone, you'll swing with less authority and with more solidity instead. You don't have to swing fast to make the ball go along way if you catch it solid.

R35

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
This is what I meant by covering a swing flaw with equipment. It's pretty common. ... You don't have to swing fast to make the ball go along way if you catch it solid.

R35

I don't swing very fast, do I? I figured I was about 90-95 MPH, which I thought was average.

Reason number 1088 why I need to get on a monitor, huh?

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I went and looked at my clips out of morbid curiosity, and even though the quality sucks, I think that it shows the I AM hitting down on it. I would try to change it, but why? I hit it pretty far and I'm in the fairway over half the time (which I know isn't great, but have you seen our nonexistent rough?).

I used to hit down with my driver and get balloon shots. Some lessons fixed that problem. I still produce a high ball flight with the driver but it goes up and out now instead of just up and up.

What you really need is a 9.5* 905R with a stiff Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec... oh hey, look at this, I have an extra one of those right here! :laugh:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Are you sure you aren't confusing the graf blue with the graf prolaunch? They are the same color blue on the top 1/2, except the prolaunch is gray the bottom half of the shaft

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Are you sure you aren't confusing the graf blue with the graf prolaunch? They are the same color blue on the top 1/2, except the prolaunch is gray the bottom half of the shaft

No, it was the Blue. It had the white oval with the word "Blue" on it.

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
I used to hit down with my driver and get balloon shots. Some lessons fixed that problem. I still produce a high ball flight with the driver but it goes up and out now instead of just up and up.

What you really need is a 9.5* 905R with a stiff Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec... oh hey, look at this, I have an extra one of those right here! :laugh:

My 7.5* R7 doesn't balloon at all, even into the wind. That's the ball flight "im looking for, and it's the only reason why I almost don't want to change drivers, but I want to get a 460cc driver and almost feel like one the venerable club ho's here.

I am still waiting for the monitor to get fixed/replaced so I can find out which combination works best, but I have a feeling it will be a 8.5* with a stiff tipped shaft (not sure if stiff flex is even right for me; may need more/less flex). Maybe a VS Pro or an NV, but those are the only 2 shafts that I know of that provide low ball flights.

Any ideas?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.