• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft/driver advice required from u experts

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
..... please.

Firstly thanks to Manchester Golfer I now know my swing speed and all the other gubbins that goes with it as he advised me of where to go to find out.

Secondly a quick moan about the little git that tried to sell me a Cobra F-speed without even seeing my swing, they must be struggling to shift 'em.

Anyway the crux of the thread is thus, I am looking for a driver that has a stock shaft to suit the info' below. I'm not as shaft happy as you lot seem to be, I just want to buy one in a good driver and not have to muck about chopping and changing things.

I used my Cobra SS370 with the stock Aldila HM Tour regular shaft with mid kick point (60g) on the launch monitor and discovered the following after 15 swipes:

Swing speed ranged from 91-103 mph but 12 of them were between 93 and 97mph.

Ball speed was in the region of 142mph avg

Distance (v' scheptical about this particular measurement) was about 270 yards.

3 shots had a square club face at impact, all the rest were open by up to 6 degrees! This fits in with what has been happening on the course lately.

So I've laid down the challenge to you my learned Shot Talk fellows. My favourite for aesthetics is the Cobra X-speed but I know this won't suit me and you can forget the Ping G5.

Please help!!!!

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Go hit a Taylor made R7 460. If your face angle is open more often than not, set it up with the heavier weight in the heel (draw setting) and you will be amazed by how much it straightens out any fade/slice swings. Also if you like the Aldila HM shaft the new REAX shaft on the R7 is very simlar, same kick point and weight.

Alternativly try an FT-3 Tour draw setting with regular Aldila NVS shaft. Again same kick point, weight is 65g and you have the draw setting to help correct that open face at impact. Also the FT-3 Tour sits with a square face where as the R7 is slightly closed, but the noise from the FT-3 at impact will take some getting used to after a using a Cobra ss.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Thanks again MG. The open face thing has only become an issue in that last 6 months or so as I have increased my swing speed slightly, before that I used to hit really nice and dependable draw. To be honest I am a little put off tinkering with Taylor Mades as I know I can draw the ball again quite nicely if i just take a bit out of my swing, therefore I would like a shaft/club that is able to cope with both swing speeds so I can step it up into top gear when necessary off the tee.

Have you nothing from your vast stock that might fit the bill?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
FYI - several companies now offer "exotic" shaft choices in their drivers as a standard. I'd hit as much as I could and then scour ebay.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
EnglishGolfer said:
Thanks again MG. The open face thing has only become an issue in that last 6 months or so as I have increased my swing speed slightly, before that I used to hit really nice and dependable draw. To be honest I am a little put off tinkering with Taylor Mades as I know I can draw the ball again quite nicely if i just take a bit out of my swing, therefore I would like a shaft/club that is able to cope with both swing speeds so I can step it up into top gear when necessary off the tee.

Have you nothing from your vast stock that might fit the bill?

Hi English,

If you fancy a round this week after work just give me a shout. My home course is North Manchester junction 19 off the M60 about 5 miles from Bury same junction as Nervada Bobs. I have an R7 460, Ft-3 Tour, X speed & SZ 460 I will bring them all so you can have a go and get a feel for each club if you like. I am a golf nut and like to keep on top of all the major brands launch's and although I only play off 9 drivers are my passion and I like to think I know what I'm talking about. PM me and we'll sort a game out.

cheers MG.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.