• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft experts, Ladies Shafts?

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
My 12 year old daughter has been playing with a set of Walter Hagen junior clubs. A starter set I believe is part of the Golf Galaxy/Dick's line. She's really starting to progress as a player and I'm thinking about buying her a set of better clubs. She's 5'3" and has a pretty powerful swing. The irons are heavy and have steel shafts.

There's a couple sets of ladies TM R7 Draw irons on line I'm looking at. One is priced at just $329 on Rock Bottom. They are shafted with the Re*ax 45 ladies flex shaft. I've noticed that the non-draw are shafted with Re*ax 55 ladies flex and are priced as high as $599 for new.

I know nothing about what a woman/girl should swing as far as weight in a shaft. Will the lighter shafts be more flexible? We have her swinging pretty hard and I don't want to put her into a shaft that is too soft or light, while I also don't want to put her in a shaft that's too much for her. I'm thinking I only need a couple/three seasons out of these clubs.

Also, why is this set on Rock Bottom so cheap compared to other sites? I've seen the same set of irons for as much as $499.00. I saw a used set of the non-draw R7's with the 55 gram shafts for I believe $464 on a different site.

How much difference does the draw bias make, and would that be something in general that is good for a woman/girl golfer really getting into the game?

I understand that can vary by swing. I don't know if getting her fit makes sense, because she's growing fast. Also, I have a love-hate relationship with the Golf Galaxy drones near my house, and I don't trust their supposed expertise. The chubby fellow there, who seems to be in charge, and I have clashed on occasion.

Thanks,

Kevin

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I don't really know much about ladies golf gear... but I know the people at the local golf galaxy here don't know jack squat about equipment... so I wouldn't trust much of what they say.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Does Golf Galaxy have the draw set available for her to hit? You don't have to talk to the employees, and it would probably be better if you didn't. Even better would be an outdoor range, I'm sure there's one in the area that carries Taylormade demo clubs? If she hits them well, get the set online. I think you are correct in that a young golfer will just outgrow any fitting. I learned on a senior set, cut down; it might be best to just fit for length and extend as she grows, and then go for a lie angle fitting when she's in her teens.

I really don't know which weight or flex would be best for her. And the draw bias could be good for her, but I have no way of knowing that; it's up to you and her to decide as we don't know her swing. The best thing I can suggest is find a demo set of the irons you are looking for.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
She was striping the 7i into the simulator at Golf Galaxy a week or two ago. I'm going to take her down there again tonight, I think, but I'm still hoping to get some insight into the weight and flex of the shafts and what that implies.

Kevin

buykrux

May 15, 2009
i know alot of girls that play mens irons with stiff or regular steel
if she has the power to use steel than let her if she wants
i know that those reax shafts are brutal though, they spin in a circle on the frequency matching machine

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
When I build my wife some clubs I'm putting NV Pinks in em... just cause they're pink tho :thumbs up: :D

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I'm no expert on (golf) shafts, but as the token female here, I feel obliged to say something. I play women's flex, graphite shafts. They're in the neighborhood of 44.5 grams, and the swingweight on my set ranges from C2 to C7. So yes, very lightweight clubs. And whippy.

On the PING color-by-number club do-hickey at the driving range, there's something about determining your flex by how far your 6i goes. At 110 yards, it says to be playing senior flex. I know I could handle senior flex, and sounds like your daughter could as well.

My sense on buying irons designed for a draw is not to do it unless you know it's right for her swing. Otherwise, you're setting her up for some very funky compensations in.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Everyone SHOULD be fitted....

But if you chose not to, heres some thoughts....

1) The only things differentiating a mens set of irons from a female is length, grip diameter, weight and flex.

Unfortunately, many mfg's ignore one or more of those rules and you can "misfit" your daughter.

2) If you want to do a low cost alternative, you can simply use the existing iron heads and reshaft them with female/softer shafts and grips.

3) One thing not mentioned is I have yet to see a womans set of clubs that had the proper driver loft.....almost all provide a 12* head. When in reality, almost NO female amature should be hitting less than a 16*.

I believe you mentioned that your daughter is a softball player.....this would make her a LOT easier to fit.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for the response, Rory. I said my daughter played softball, not that she was a softball player. LOL. She was terrible and swung at the ball with a golf swing.

Kevin

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Everyone SHOULD be fitted....

But if you chose not to, heres some thoughts....

1) The only things differentiating a mens set of irons from a female is length, grip diameter, weight and flex.

Unfortunately, many mfg's ignore one or more of those rules and you can "misfit" your daughter.

2) If you want to do a low cost alternative, you can simply use the existing iron heads and reshaft them with female/softer shafts and grips.

3) One thing not mentioned is I have yet to see a womans set of clubs that had the proper driver loft.....almost all provide a 12* head. When in reality, almost NO female amature should be hitting less than a 16*.

I believe you mentioned that your daughter is a softball player.....this would make her a LOT easier to fit.

Thank you for making me feel better about my driver!

One additional thought--a 12 year old isn't going to have much upper body strength, which tilts in favor or graphite shafts.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Be very careful, there's a tendancy for fitters and retailers to see/hear "woman" and start grabbing pink crap with 2 bit shafts for them. A and L flex stuff that has low torque and appropriate flex characteristics are hard to find.

When I was trying to fit my daughter who is 5'11" and was a competitive swimmer with considerable upper body strength everyone assumed she was weak and slow. Fitter wanted to build her a driver and woods with L flex Aldila VL shafts. I was new to the game and didn't know any better.

I've got a buddy whose girlfriend/roommate played basketball in college. She was very recently sold one of those pink boxed ladies sets that is too short, small and weak for her, but since she's just a woman....

DO NOT assume she needs a 16 degree driver!

🔥 Latest posts