• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shaft flex....cpm

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
My dad bought a TM Burner at the beginning of the summer and it was an absolute hook machine. Just messing around it seemed like the "S" flex was really soft. It has been just sitting around since nobody could hit it....so I decided to put the RT Techologies shaft I have sitting around in it. Before we did anything we decided to test the shafts....obviously the same setup for each and see what they came to. We used a 5" clamp and all have heads and grips on them. I just wonder what this one number means in the grand scheme of things.
TM Reax.....230
SK Fiber in my Nak....240
Harrison BoronGold in Callaway.....262
RT Tech shaft.....245
Obviously this the butt frequency....what can be gained with this number if anything at all?? Should I assume that since the RT and SK Fiber shafts cpm close to the same they will flex similar?? How do you test the tip?? If it is tip stiff or soft??

Thanks for any explanation of this stuff
Jason

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
My dad bought a TM Burner at the beginning of the summer and it was an absolute hook machine. Just messing around it seemed like the "S" flex was really soft. It has been just sitting around since nobody could hit it....so I decided to put the RT Techologies shaft I have sitting around in it. Before we did anything we decided to test the shafts....obviously the same setup for each and see what they came to. We used a 5" clamp and all have heads and grips on them. I just wonder what this one number means in the grand scheme of things.
TM Reax.....230
SK Fiber in my Nak....240
Harrison BoronGold in Callaway.....262
RT Tech shaft.....245
Obviously this the butt frequency....what can be gained with this number if anything at all?? Should I assume that since the RT and SK Fiber shafts cpm close to the same they will flex similar?? How do you test the tip?? If it is tip stiff or soft??

Thanks for any explanation of this stuff
Jason

Unfortunately Jason, not much can be gathered from the info....

As you know, butt flex tells you nothing aboutr how a shaft will profile out unless you've actually profiled the shafts and know the physical attributes of each....

Flex changes from model to model.

SK fiber makes about ten completely different models....The Harrison Boron seemed to me had been a stiffer topped shaft and RT tech made about 5 different types of shafts in their day.

Theres other variables...like the length of the clubs, weight of the heads, orientation of the spines...

Sorry!

OP
SCGolfer

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Thanks.......That is what I kinda figured....it was pretty interesting though to see how much different some them were.

Jason

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Those numbers mean nothing to me, so I'm no help.. I just know the higher, generally the stiffer.. The only shaft I know the number for, is my Fubuki is CPM'd at 266.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Rory is right, you have measured butt stiffness. This tells you that, and that only. How the shafts relate to each other in real world playability would require far more info.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Unfortunately of those shafts the only one that I may have 'whole' profile numbers for is the SK fiber.

Which type of SK fiber is it? If its the Pure Energy in stiff the numbers will be something like this:
Torque: Butt: 41'': 36: 31: 26: 21: 16: 11:
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 419pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=556 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2486" width=68><COL style="WIDTH: 46pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2230" span=8 width=61><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 51pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=68 height=19 x:num>5.5</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>241</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>180</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>201</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>231</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>272</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>333</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>446</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>698</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 51pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=68 height=19 x:num>5.5</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>241</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>181</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>202</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>232</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>273</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>338</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>452</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=right width=61 x:num>710</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

These are numbers form the 65G and 77g weights respectively. I'll be happy to throw a few more numbers up from other shafts so you can gauge if you like (so long as I have the shaft numbers)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.