• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft flex in irons VS. driver

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Hey another shaft related thread. Just what we needed. (getting this out of the way early in the thread)

Ok, heres the deal.

I swing my driver hard, I am talking nearly crap my pants hard. I play a stiff flex speeder in a Titty 905R. I am bombing it very nicely for me, about 270 average.
I swing my irons in much more controlled fashion. I am a very smooth iron player, and really dont go after the ball unless I am in bad arse rough.

So I was thinking of getting my irons in a regular flex shaft. I feel this will help give me distance, height and improve accuracy with the slower speed of my swing with the iron in hand.

Does anyone else do this?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Sounds as though we play very similarly - except I only drive about 250. I was still fitted for stiff flex shafts on my Ping G2s and the difference was remarkable.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I pretty well go after everything but if you ever get a chance to try the Nippons go for it. I'm playing the NS1050's in a Stiff. They are a world of difference from the S300's that every company throws in. They are much lighter than DG's or Rifles yet seem more accurate to me.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, I don't swing hard, I worked my swing up for distance and consistancy. Bigger shoulder turn, more lower body, a strong core, etc.

Now, back on topic, I just say pick up a used iron that has the same type of shaft as the ones you like, and get it in the other flex. Try and find out, this game is just so much in trial and error.

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
i just got new irons in a forged head set. i specifically had regular steel shafts installed. i like steel to begin, and i chose the regular flex because, being new clubs to me, and a new style of club, i.e., forged, i want to learn the club slowyly, by swinging slow, deliberate and smooth.

i went with the regular flex for this reason and its working out well. i still smack the driver like a stepchild, but went softer on the irons for reasons stated.

my plan is to play'em 6 months or so, and if i notice a natural but controlled increase in swing speed, then i'll upgrade to a stiffer shaft.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I recently reshafted my irons from DG S300 to Dynalite Gold R300. Higher ball flight, and gained about 15 yards. Very controllable shafts with none of the "where the heck did that come from?" that I've had with other "regular" flex shafts. These shafts are intended to help the ball up in the air, and I do get a fairly high ballflight. No ballooning at all. Just a nice solid trajectory. Very good feel. My swing speed with a driver is 90-95mph and I usually hit around 250 yards.

I settled on these shafts by reshafting my 6-iron with four different shafts (Dynalite SL S300, Rifle 5.0, Dynamic Gold R300, and the Dynalite Gold R300), playing three to four rounds with each shaft. The clubs originally had Dynamic Gold S300's. Good shaft, but I lost 15 yards from my last set. That's why I went shaft hunting. It took a while, but when I had the Dynalite Gold R300 in the club, there was no question it was the shaft for me.

So toss a few different shafts in your 6-iron. Take your time and play a few rounds with the new shaft.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
See i don't believe that shaft flex in irons makes as much difference in woods. I had playe with a set of Hogans with the APex 3 shaft (roughly a rifle 4.5) and loved them, the feel was good, flight was high but consistent and could go low if needed. I recently reshafted with Rifle 6.0's and have seen little change in flight and consistency. The one thing that did change was that when i really go after one, I NEVER lose it left.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Well I think I am going to go with the Dynamic gold R300. They are fairly heavy which I want, high kick which I also want. I plan on swinging smooth with my irons anyhow, so the softer flex might just be a perfect fit. If not, I can swap them over the winter.

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
BigJim13 said:
See i don't believe that shaft flex in irons makes as much difference in woods. I had playe with a set of Hogans with the APex 3 shaft (roughly a rifle 4.5) and loved them, the feel was good, flight was high but consistent and could go low if needed. I recently reshafted with Rifle 6.0's and have seen little change in flight and consistency. The one thing that did change was that when i really go after one, I NEVER lose it left.

despite the fact that i chose regular flex for my forged cb's, i do agree with bigjim that the flex difference is less noticeable in irons than in the long bubbleheads.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
LyleG said:
Well I think I am going to go with the Dynamic gold R300. They are fairly heavy which I want, high kick which I also want. I plan on swinging smooth with my irons anyhow, so the softer flex might just be a perfect fit. If not, I can swap them over the winter.

Im thinking of doing the same thing, the Rifle 6.0's are nice but i feel like I lost a little bit of feel of the clubhead....we shall see though.

🔥 Latest posts