• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shaft flex

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I know the answer to my question is get on a monitor and find out.....well I am working on that.

My question is about how accurate something I read could be....basically it asked what club you hit on a normal basis from 150 out. If that was a 5 or 6 iron you should hit a regular shaft driver...7 iron you should hit a stiff shaft driver and beyond that you should be playing an X shaft.

Based on what the launch monitor tells you about your swing and stuff how accurate could these assumptions be??

Jason

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
as a guideline might be close on the first part but I doubt the 7i 150. I play my 8i to 160 and cant hit the x flex 3w I have for the life of me.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
IMHO that is strictly a rule of thumb type thing. I hit 7 iron from 150, but stiff flex drivers give me problems so I play regular flex...I play regular across the board, matter of fact, except for wedges.

Too many other variables in finding the right driver shaft to go strictly on the 150 yd. club.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have 105 ss with the driver and play stiff. I have much slower ss with irons so hit regular. I don't think you can group the two swings IMHO. Then you have the issue that the flex rating between shaft makers is not to any standard. One's stiff could be another's regular flex. :)

OP
SCGolfer

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
MC, I am with you....I hit 7i 150-160. But have never been able to hit a stiff shaft driver.....I have seen some weird explanations but never anything that generic.

Jason

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have 105 ss with the driver and play stiff. I have much slower ss with irons so hit regular. I don't think you can group the two swings IMHO. Then you have the issue that the flex rating between shaft makers is not to any standard. One's stiff could be another's regular flex. :)

Absolutely. Lyle and TMag can attest that it's frequency that matters. Too bad the shaft manufacturers won't let that precious little bit of info out. Taylor Made doesn't want everybody knowing that their "stiff" MAS2 shaft are equivalent to ProLaunch senior flex.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Absolutely. Lyle and TMag can attest that it's frequency that matters. Too bad the shaft manufacturers won't let that precious little bit of info out. Taylor Made doesn't want everybody knowing that their "stiff" MAS2 shaft are equivalent to ProLaunch senior flex.

Not only can shaft labels differ from company to company, but from shaft to shaft. Even premium shafts like Diamana and Speeder have a variance from one to another. I had a student who was rather advanced in age, and was swinging an R Flex driver that he hit very well when we measured it on a frequency analyzer, it came out to be a bit between a ladies' and senior flex. My driver shaft comes in at 278 cpm, which is a fairly stiff measurement for an S flex.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Too bad the shaft manufacturers won't let that precious little bit of info out. Taylor Made doesn't want everybody knowing that their "stiff" MAS2 shaft are equivalent to ProLaunch senior flex.

Nah, it's not that... they just wouldn't want people to see that their stock shafts vary ± 50 cps for a given flex! :shocked:

I've been involved in manufacturing for about 25 years (electronics and some mechanical assemblies) and the hardest thing about quality is consistency. To have anything manufactured to tight tolerances always gets a lot more expensive the tighter your tolerances get.

All things considered, the golf equipment manufacturers all put out some pretty high quality stuff for the $$$ these days. Of course some is a lot better than others... ;)

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
Not only can shaft labels differ from company to company, but from shaft to shaft. Even premium shafts like Diamana and Speeder have a variance from one to another. I had a student who was rather advanced in age, and was swinging an R Flex driver that he hit very well when we measured it on a frequency analyzer, it came out to be a bit between a ladies' and senior flex. My driver shaft comes in at 288 cpm, which is a fairly stiff measurement for an S flex.

Your driver plays at 288:wow: Thats high even for an X flex. Although CPM #s mostly just measure butt stiffness I cant think of any shafts other than Long drive competitors shafts with that high a #.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Your driver plays at 288:wow: Thats high even for an X flex. Although CPM #s mostly just measure butt stiffness I cant think of any shafts other than Long drive competitors shafts with that high a #.

Whoops, 278, thanks for catching that, damn keys are too close together on the keyboard.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
you sure it's not cause you've got fingers like a wookie??:laugh: ;)

Well, it's just like how that putt was going in until it hit the spike mark. You have to do whatever you can to keep your confidence up.:laugh:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Using a frequency machine to measure stiffness is a bit misleading in itself as unless you profile the whole shaft you really know nothing about how the shaft will play.

You can have 3 diamana shafts, one red board, one blue and one white. Sort them till you find 3 that frequency at 260 cpms. Do you really think that all three will play the same? The white will have a mid section that will be 50-70 cpms stiffer than the red, the blue will fall in the middle.

Measuring butt frequency is only useful when comparing the same make of shaft or shafts that are very, very similar in profile. The latter still being iffy at best.

I use my frequency machine a lot. Its main use is building iron sets to a certain slope. The other thing I use to for is to profile shafts. Taking 5-6 measurements along set intervals of a shaft. This gives you a far more useful tool than simply measuring butt frequency.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

BS. I had the MAS 2 in my old R7. The stiff is most definitely stiffer than the Epic, V2 and NV in a stiff. I'd say it's about as stiff as a Speeder 757. No way a "senior". Anyone who says it was total crap most likely couldn't load it. Sorry but I hear a lot of TM bashing going on lately, they don't throw whippy crap in their player geared line.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
My Rombax in the 425 TP with a stiff tip is beast.If thats a senior flex then I'm Al Pacino

🔥 Latest posts

Members online