• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shaft insertion depth question

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Make fun of me for the title if you must, but this is a serious question. I have a set of mp-14 that are all over the board as far as insertion depth goes. For example, the 4 iron will only accept .75" while the 7 iron will accept 1.25". Is this going to make a large difference in stiffness? Is there supposed to be progressive insertion depths?

I was going to build my 4 iron so I could go to the range tomorrow and get the weights figured out, still waiting for lengths from Mr. LyleG though. I may just say f*ck it and build to what I think it's supposed to be. I'm doing a little different progression than TLT would have me do anyway.

Does anybody have an answer as to the insertion depth?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Make fun of me for the title if you must, but this is a serious question. I have a set of mp-14 that are all over the board as far as insertion depth goes. For example, the 4 iron will only accept .75" while the 7 iron will accept 1.25". Is this going to make a large difference in stiffness? Is there supposed to be progressive insertion depths?

I was going to build my 4 iron so I could go to the range tomorrow and get the weights figured out, still waiting for lengths from Mr. LyleG though. I may just say f*ck it and build to what I think it's supposed to be. I'm doing a little different progression than TLT would have me do anyway.

Does anybody have an answer as to the insertion depth?

I have never done anything with Mizuno irons but can only assume they are similar to other irons. The only time I have seen THAT much difference in insertion depth is when I did not get ALL the epoxy out of the hosel. I think its normal to have some difference in insertion depth, say 1.25 on one and 1.3 or 1.35 on another-mainly due to manufacturing tolerances. I would check to make sure you got all the epoxy out. If you did than it may be the way that Mizuno's irons are made...other than that I am at a loss. I don't know what advantage/disadvantage having differences in insertion depth would make...

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I just realized, the irons that have shorter depths have these in the hosels. I didn't even notice that before. A weight that didn't get pulled out, I assume? How am I supposed to get that out?
CRW_7786 hosel st.jpg

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I just realized, the irons that have shorter depths have these in the hosels. I didn't even notice that before. A weight that didn't get pulled out, I assume? How am I supposed to get that out?

Heat up the head's hosel where the tip weight is with a torch/heat gun and tap them out on a work bench. Or, drill them out (time consuming).

This is exactly what I thought they were when you first posted this.

No big deal.

R35

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Heat up the head's hosel where the tip weight is with a torch/heat gun and tap them out on a work bench. Or, drill them out (time consuming).

This is exactly what I thought they were when you first posted this.

No big deal.

R35

I had the same thouht, it happened to me on a couple of Hogan wedges I reshafted. I eneded up having to drill them out, no matter how much I heated the head they just wouldnt pop out...PITA

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I've already tried heating and tapping on the bench, even moveing them around with a drill bit but they won't come out. I wish I had one of those bits that grap into stripped screws.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Get a narrow flathead in there and pry that bastard out. They'll come, I assure you. Or try a smaller drill bit first instead of a huge one.

R35

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Maybe this is a bit in ignorance too, but won't that screw up the swingweight to remove the weights? Or are you planning on replacing them?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
As soon as I got half way thru your first paragraph I knew you have heads with weight plugs in them.

As mentioned above...heat them up.....and tap thm on the work bench...they should drop out easilly.

If you've already spent time dicking with them...you might have made it a bit worse...if so....

Get a very tiny flat head screwdriver...and run it arounf the circumference of the plug.....in order to "straighten" it out....then re-heat and tap the hoel again to have it drop out.

Under no circumstance should you ever reshaft an iron with .75" bore depth.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Maybe this is a bit in ignorance too, but won't that screw up the swingweight to remove the weights? Or are you planning on replacing them?

That swingweight would be for that specific shaft. Changing them makes the weights useless unless the shafts have the same weighting.

R35

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006

MOI matching them. I can't install the shaft with the weight in there, it has to go.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
If those weights are stock items, does that mean the original shafts were only installed .75" deep?

🔥 Latest posts