• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft length question

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Okay, I'm piecing together a golf set for a family member whose mother died in the summer. His grandmother is taking care of him now, but she is disabled and can't work. So I'm trying to throw a set together for him so he will have something at Christmas. He is 14 and 5'6" so I imagine I will need to cut the shafts down some won't I? Or is he tall enough to play standard length clubs? Any advice would be appreciated.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Lol, ok, in case ya'll just glanced at it and didn't read it closely, I'm not asking for clubs. Just advice. Do I need to trim any off the butts of the woods? I figure the irons will be ok, even at 5'6". Is that right?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Lol, ok, in case ya'll just glanced at it and didn't read it closely, I'm not asking for clubs. Just advice. Do I need to trim any off the butts of the woods? I figure the irons will be ok, even at 5'6". Is that right?

Is this a surprise for him?

Ideally, you'd wanna get him on a lie board or similar gauge...at MINIMUM, measure wrist fold to floor distance for a static fit.

If you want, give me a call tomorrow (319.480.5663) and I can walk you thru a few ideas....

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Is this a surprise for him?

Ideally, you'd wanna get him on a lie board or similar gauge...at MINIMUM, measure wrist fold to floor distance for a static fit.

If you want, give me a call tomorrow (319.480.5663) and I can walk you thru a few ideas....

Yeah Rory, it's a total surprise. Him and his grandmother, my wife's sister, are coming to our house for Christmas dinner. I know his grandmother is struggling money wise, so I want to fix him up a set of clubs and a few accessories. I can't stand the idea of the kid not getting anything for Christmas.

Thanks, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

gcinbc

Always up for Round
Oct 15, 2007
Great Gesture

Yeah Rory, it's a total surprise. Him and his grandmother, my wife's sister, are coming to our house for Christmas dinner. I know his grandmother is struggling money wise, so I want to fix him up a set of clubs and a few accessories. I can't stand the idea of the kid not getting anything for Christmas.

Thanks, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

That is a great thing to do and I hope your holidays are as happy and joyous as his will be, due to your generosity. Great stuff and good to hear :thumbs up:

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Hireko has a junior length chart at the bottom of their trimming guide, found here.

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/graphics/orderportal/temp/2008_HIREKO_TRIMMINGLENGTH.pdf

Height (inches) Driver 3-wood 5-iron 7-iron 9-iron wedges putter
5'-0" 60" 40" 39" 35" 34" 33" 32" 31.5"
5'-2" 62" 41" 40" 36" 35" 34" 33" 32.5"
5'-4" 64" 42" 41" 37" 36" 35" 34" 33.5"

He's just off the top, it only goes to 5'4", but you could work from there.

EDIT: If it were me, I'd leave them standard-length and encourage the boy to choke up a little like Anthony Kim. He's 14, and probably growing like a weed, and will be big enough for standard clubs in a year or two.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Obviously you wanna take indacup up on the offer, but just wanted to mention that for others that later read this, you can do a static fit on PING Golf : Home Page com with a few measurements like wrist to floor, hand size, and a couple distance measurements.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Can't believe i'm saying this, but "standard length" clubs might be just fine for this kid. At 14, he's probably still growing, and if he's athletic, he can probably adjust to the legnth. He's not going to play the best golf he's capable of with clubs that aren't fit to him, but if he's just starting out, standard length is probably just fine (for now)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Can't believe i'm saying this, but "standard length" clubs might be just fine for this kid. At 14, he's probably still growing, and if he's athletic, he can probably adjust to the legnth. He's not going to play the best golf he's capable of with clubs that aren't fit to him, but if he's just starting out, standard length is probably just fine (for now)
Kinda thinking the same thing myself but didn't say it. But was more thinking about standard lie. Although I would maybe think my first priority would be to get clubs where the lie could be easily adjusted. You figure at a later time, if they fit properly now, the shafts can easily be lengthened when they are regripped, so assume the lie can be easily adjusted he should be able to use them for a while.

This reminds me of when I was growing up and an avid soccer player. I wanted nice cleats, and while my parents bought my cleats for me, I had to pay any extra over a reasonable price. I now have size 13 feet, so you can only imagine that I would buy them a little big and wear extra socks in the beginning (sometimes 3-5 pairs) if I planned to get more than a year out of them.

I would buy possibly a forged club that can be easily adjusted, he can buy shaft extenders fairly cheap. Although because the price of regripping the club may be a little expensive, it may pay to possibly get normal length and deal with the lie. Sometimes having a set that will work for you for a long time may be more important than having a set that will fit you properly for the current time. This may be just one of those cases. Probably better to get used to a longer club now, than have to live with a shorter club later. He will likely be as happy as a Pig in >>>> just to have a set of clubs. I know I wouldn't have even thought about the length or lie of a club at that age.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks guys, I decided to leave them alone. He plays basketball so he is pretty athletic. And still growing like ya'll said. :thumbs up:

🔥 Latest posts