• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft lengths for drivers

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
United States United States
Hey all, I'm debating ordering a driver from diamond tour. I've come to hate the rbz 10.5 that I have for a few reasons. One of which is the shaft length, there in is my question. Its 46 inches, I've never really swung anything shorter then that. Except the driver from my first generic off the shelf golf set, which is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter. Any recommendations for a better shaft length other than getting fitted ? I'm a little over 5'10 and my wrist are about 32 1/2 inches from the floor.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Whatever shaft length is in that Cleveland i'm selling is what you should get:)

I've been debating yours actually, only issue is my neighbor has the same head on a stiff shaft (don't know which kind) that is like kryptonite to fairways. It went every direction but where I wanted it

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Cut it down to 44.5" and I bet you hit it farther and more consistent.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I know part of why I hate my driver is I have a regular flex shaft on mine right now feels like a whip since my swing speed had picked up a lot. I'm having to close the head a little at address to compensate for the head opening up on the downswing. And when compared to a shorter driver I swung at the store the other day I could tell my speed was a little faster with the shorter shaft and just felt smoother.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I've been wondering why all these companies are throwing out longer and longer shafts with lighter heads... I've always felt that was counter intuitive to swing speed and a consistent swing. I'd rather have a head that was slightly heavier and a shaft about 44.5".

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've been wondering why all these companies are throwing out longer and longer shafts with lighter heads... I've always felt that was counter intuitive to swing speed and a consistent swing. I'd rather have a head that was slightly heavier and a shaft about 44.5".
Longer shafts will generate more speed and distance. The problem is that most amateurs can't even come close to controlling a 46" shaft and instead lose distance and accuracy.

Cut your driver to 44.5 and your 3w to 42.5 and you will be much more consistent.

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
Hey all, I'm debating ordering a driver from diamond tour. I've come to hate the rbz 10.5 that I have for a few reasons. One of which is the shaft length, there in is my question. Its 46 inches, I've never really swung anything shorter then that. Except the driver from my first generic off the shelf golf set, which is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter. Any recommendations for a better shaft length other than getting fitted ? I'm a little over 5'10 and my wrist are about 32 1/2 inches from the floor.
The correct shaft length for a graphite shafted Titanium driver for somebody 5'10" and 32-1/2" wrist-to-floor measurement is -1/2 from the standard of 45", or 44-1/2". Go with that on your new driver, and your swing speed should increase dramatically, and your ball will find the short grass much more often.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I've been debating yours actually, only issue is my neighbor has the same head on a stiff shaft (don't know which kind) that is like kryptonite to fairways. It went every direction but where I wanted it
The reason I looked for a new driver was that believe it or not I want to exchange some roll for carry. I don't hit it too bad directionally, it's just that there are a few holes on my home course where i'll run through the fairway where there is a slight bend. So you see the line it takes and you're like "hell yeah" and you get up to the ball and it ends up a little too far on that line and through the fairway just into the rough because it's a piercing trajectory with roll. For me the shaft actually minimizes curve in the ballflight, so what used to be a slice now just has a small tail. That's a good thing in a sense... if I block one 1.5* though it may take the first bounce in the fairway, but end in the rough because of the roll and the fact that it doesn't deviate from it's line much at all. I would actually like to just hit a repeatable fade.

Does your neighbor have the tour or the regular DST w/the redboard?

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
The reason I looked for a new driver was that believe it or not I want to exchange some roll for carry. I don't hit it too bad directionally, it's just that there are a few holes on my home course where i'll run through the fairway where there is a slight bend. So you see the line it takes and you're like "hell yeah" and you get up to the ball and it ends up a little too far on that line and through the fairway just into the rough because it's a piercing trajectory with roll. For me the shaft actually minimizes curve in the ballflight, so what used to be a slice now just has a small tail. That's a good thing in a sense... if I block one 1.5* though it may take the first bounce in the fairway, but end in the rough because of the roll and the fact that it doesn't deviate from it's line much at all. I would actually like to just hit a repeatable fade.

Does your neighbor have the tour or the regular DST w/the redboard?

I'm going to take a guess and say the tour because its not a 460 head

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
The correct shaft length for a graphite shafted Titanium driver for somebody 5'10" and 32-1/2" wrist-to-floor measurement is -1/2 from the standard of 45", or 44-1/2". Go with that on your new driver, and your swing speed should increase dramatically, and your ball will find the short grass much more often.

That's perfect, thank you SDS

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
That's perfect, thank you SDS
You're welcome. Let me know what your swing speed is, what your tempo is like, and what brand/model of shaft you are thinking about for your driver, and I will give you a recommendation for flex based on the Dynacraft Shaft Fitting Index (DSFI) for that model.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
You're welcome. Let me know what your swing speed is, what your tempo is like, and what brand/model of shaft you are thinking about for your driver, and I will give you a recommendation for flex based on the Dynacraft Shaft Fitting Index (DSFI) for that model.

My temp for back swing is probably a medium, during a lesson the guy said it was fine per some standard. No clue on swing speed, I've been told its really fast though from the guys I've gamed with. I know its to fast for the stock shaft in my rbz. Here is the list of shafts I can upgrade to on that site, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know anything about the differences with the individual models and types.
1363579630796.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.