• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft lengths for drivers

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
United States United States
My temp for back swing is probably a medium, during a lesson the guy said it was fine per some standard. No clue on swing speed, I've been told its really fast though from the guys I've gamed with. I know its to fast for the stock shaft in my rbz. Here is the list of shafts I can upgrade to on that site, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know anything about the differences with the individual models and types.
View attachment 15422
It is really hard to tell without an accurate swing speed reading. Swing speed is a crucial component for fitting shaft flex, along with backswing length and tempo. Can I email a portion of the DSFI so you can read up on it more? Then go have your swing speed and tempo officially evaluated. Of the shafts available for upgrade, you will probably be best suited to the Aldila NVS 65, which is a good, fairly economical choice. You may need a stiff shaft based on what you've told me, but a R flex will play stiffer at 44-1/2" than it will at 46" as a general rule (based on the same swingweight). If you aren't swinging it over 95+ MPH, I would go with an R in the shorter length driver.

DSFI rating for Aldila NVS 65 S flex:
@45" DSFI speed rating: 92 MPH
3/4 backswing: 90 MPH
Fast Tempo: 95 MPH
Medium Tempo: 100 MPH
Slow Tempo: 106 MPH

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My temp for back swing is probably a medium, during a lesson the guy said it was fine per some standard. No clue on swing speed, I've been told its really fast though from the guys I've gamed with. I know its to fast for the stock shaft in my rbz. Here is the list of shafts I can upgrade to on that site, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know anything about the differences with the individual models and types.
View attachment 15422
What are you hitting now for a shaft? And where do you tend to miss? IE slice, push, pull or hook?

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
What are you hitting now for a shaft? And where do you tend to miss? IE slice, push, pull or hook?

Its the Matrix XCON 5, at least that's what Google says. Never can remember off the top of my head. When it does miss it will be out hard right field. When it is on it will balloon like crazy and drain distance. If I slow my swing speed down quite a bit it usually goes straight but still balloons badly. And I know its not that I swing worse when I speed up because I've hit a couple of my buddies drivers and its more or less the results I'm looking for. My 3 wood has a stiff shaft in it and off the tee (cause I suck off the deck with it) its a low straight penetrating flight just what I want.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
It is really hard to tell without an accurate swing speed reading. Swing speed is a crucial component for fitting shaft flex, along with backswing length and tempo. Can I email a portion of the DSFI so you can read up on it more? Then go have your swing speed and tempo officially evaluated. Of the shafts available for upgrade, you will probably be best suited to the Aldila NVS 65, which is a good, fairly economical choice. You may need a stiff shaft based on what you've told me, but a R flex will play stiffer at 44-1/2" than it will at 46" as a general rule (based on the same swingweight). If you aren't swinging it over 95+ MPH, I would go with an R in the shorter length driver.

DSFI rating for Aldila NVS 65 S flex:
@45" DSFI speed rating: 92 MPH
3/4 backswing: 90 MPH
Fast Tempo: 95 MPH
Medium Tempo: 100 MPH
Slow Tempo: 106 MPH

That's some great info, you answered something I was wondering about too. If a R shaft would play stiffer when cut down, I had assumed it would but again, I have nothing to base that off of. I am going to try to get my swing speed checked to be sure. The guy I got some lessons from made the comment though that as fast as my swing looked he thinks I needed the S shaft. And yea feel free to email me [email protected]

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
I hope you got the email with all the pdf files attached! Don't get too bogged down on the technical stuff. It's harder to understand than Chinese Trigonometry.;)

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I hope you got the email with all the pdf files attached! Don't get too bogged down on the technical stuff. It's harder to understand than Chinese Trigonometry.;)

I just checked my inbox, got it. When I get a chance to I'll check it out. I appreciate the info, and I already despise math so I'm betting it'll be a pain haha.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
In Wishon's book "the Search for the Perfect Golf Club" (or something like that) he states that the driver length has been increased from the norm of 43" and has caused problems. So the suggestion on shortening the shaft would give you more control and maybe just as much or more distance because you are making more consistent contact on the sweet spot.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I'll gladly take a little reduction in distance if it means it will increase my accuracy, my ball doesn't like fairways. My distance is already hurting anyways because of the crazy ballooning the ball does unless I swing uber slow. Either way it doesn't go much further than the balloon balls.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I'll gladly take a little reduction in distance if it means it will increase my accuracy, my ball doesn't like fairways. My distance is already hurting anyways because of the crazy ballooning the ball does unless I swing uber slow. Either way it doesn't go much further than the balloon balls.
Everybody says that till they play a round getting outdriven by everyone, then it's back to how they can get more distance. Truth is that however bad one sucks in general will just be exaggerated by any driver. Why do you think the neverending search for the perfect driver exists for soooo many golfers. You can alter trajectory in a couple ways and maybe get a bit straighter if you're lucky. Shaft characteristics combined with some characteristics of some heads will = lower or higher trajectories. I will say that there is some truth to a shorter shaft aiding in accuracy due to having more center face strikes.

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
In Wishon's book "the Search for the Perfect Golf Club" (or something like that) he states that the driver length has been increased from the norm of 43" and has caused problems. So the suggestion on shortening the shaft would give you more control and maybe just as much or more distance because you are making more consistent contact on the sweet spot.
That 43" driver standard is still the standard...for persimmon heads and steel shafted drivers. The lighter weight of graphite shafts (getting lighter all the time), along with the large titanium clubheads has necessitated adding either extra weight to the heads/shaft tip (not the best method) or extra length to the shafts in order to maintain a playable swingweight. If the shaft is shortened too much it will play too stiff and will feel like you are swinging a whiffle bat. I do agree that unless you are a pro or long drive contestant, that 46"+ is way too long a driver length for the average golfer. 44 to 45" is as far as I would recommend, unless wrist-to-floor measurement dictates it or other unusual fitting parameter is necessary.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
That 43" driver standard is still the standard...for persimmon heads and steel shafted drivers. The lighter weight of graphite shafts (getting lighter all the time), along with the large titanium clubheads has necessitated adding either extra weight to the heads/shaft tip (not the best method) or extra length to the shafts in order to maintain a playable swingweight. If the shaft is shortened too much it will play too stiff and will feel like you are swinging a whiffle bat. I do agree that unless you are a pro or long drive contestant, that 46"+ is way too long a driver length for the average golfer. 44 to 45" is as far as I would recommend, unless wrist-to-floor measurement dictates it or other unusual fitting parameter is necessary.

I believe within the next week or so I'm going to order a new driver with the 44 or 44 1/2 shaft with mid size grips. Debating a regular or stiff since shortening will cause it to be stiffer

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.