• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft Lenth

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Hello Guys!

I have a question for you. I've heard here a lot about being better to cut down your shaft 1in or something shorter than you are used to, etc.

Well, I'm going to reshaft a head for the first time in my life (Well, I'm not doing the reshafting, the pro shop is, I just have two new shafts, two new grips and two heads I want to reshaft.).

How long should I cut my shafts for a Hibore XL 10.5º head and a TEE CB! 15º head? I really don't even know how long my clubs are playing, and I would like to have them cut the right way for the new shafts.

I'm 5'9-5'10 (just in the middle) with a wrist to floor of 32in. (on bare feet)

My initial idea was to cut down the driver to 43.5in and the 3w to 41.5.

Any thoughts?

Thanks mates!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nothing wrong with shorter clubs, for the most part. I bet you gain tons of accuracy and as a result, better distance with the confidence.

IMO, most guys play at least an inch too long these days, if not more.

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
My height and WTF are similar. I usually play 44 and 42-42.5, respectively.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Nothing wrong with shorter clubs, for the most part. I bet you gain tons of accuracy and as a result, better distance with the confidence.

IMO, most guys play at least an inch too long these days, if not more.

R35

SO yo think I should go for 43.5 and 41.5?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I play 44.25" on my driver usually, or 44.5".. And then 42.5 in the 3-wood.

I've gained way more accuracy, and with the center sweet spot hits, I've gained distance as well, and allows me to really go after one.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
I just don't buy the "way more accuracy" thing with shorter shafts in drivers. I've tried and accuracy was comparable between 44" - 46" shafts, I did however loose noticeable distance. I also played My 3w & 5w 1" shorter, this summer than I normally do ie: 41" & 42" vs. 42" & 43" and noticed a considerable loss of distance and just didn't feel right. That's just My experience.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
That's definitely the minority opinion, LBlack, but it's good to hear.

Cam, those numbers are great. Go for it. You don't need a long shaft in that TEE. And 43.5 used to be the standard driver length.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I just don't buy the "way more accuracy" thing with shorter shafts in drivers. I've tried and accuracy was comparable between 44" - 46" shafts, I did however loose noticeable distance. I also played My 3w & 5w 1" shorter, this summer than I normally do ie: 41" & 42" vs. 42" & 43" and noticed a considerable loss of distance and just didn't feel right. That's just My experience.

Hmm, this post reminds of someone elases all knowing style of posting & refusing to accept others findings & opinions for what they are.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

I'm in the same boat. I play my driver at 46" and my 3W at 43.5". Not conventional, but shorter just feels wrong to me. However, I have shortened drivers for friends and seen first hand what it can do for their tee game - straighter, more confidence = longer off the tee.

The logic is sound, it's just not for everyone. No big deal.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
SO yo think I should go for 43.5 and 41.5?

Try it. Worst case scenario, you extend them an inch. Very simple procedure and it only costs you the grips. Pennies for what could be a simple fix to your tee and 3W game, no?

R35

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
When I say way more.. I figure I"m hitting around 2-3 more fairways a round.. To me that helps.

I'm able to work and control the ball slightly more, but I think ultimately, the way I set up, swing and everything else, the shorter length enables me to make CENTER contact more often. I get more flush shots, and with that, I'm getting the most from the club.

I've never found myself shorter, because of it. Always longer in most cases, or the same length but better control.

Same thing with my irons. Once I got them 1/4 shorter, and bent right.. I'm knockin' the hell out of them, and enjoy hitting my longer irons more.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Hmm, this post reminds of someone elases all knowing style of posting & refusing to accept others findings & opinions for what they are.

Note the last 4 words of My post. I sure didn't mean to come off sounding "all knowing".

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007

Same here. I've tried it, just doesn't make any difference for me. The one in my bag right now and one of my others is 44.5", but that's just because the shaft and head weights would've caused them to feel like sledgehammers if I assembled them any longer. I don't hit them any more accurately than my others up to 46". Maybe it has something to do with how steep or shallow a person's swingplane is, or how readily they change that plane based on the length of the club or something. Heck if I know.

🔥 Latest posts