• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft Myth???

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Fujikura HL55. A piece of spaghetti cooked wayyyy past al dente. It came with my TEE, and I thought I'd bought a defective driver. Re-shafted with a Comp NT and got happy.

The S300 is not a crappy shaft. It's just sold to the wrong players.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I think we're mainly talking OEM shafts right? The aftermarket (Evolution) shafts are much better and more to correct flex IMHO. :)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I should really look into playing r400s im thinking, i swing sooo slow.

You know that the only difference between an R300 and an R400 is 3g of added weight right? Its just an out of spec R300, nothing even remotely fancy about it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Fujikura HL55. A piece of spaghetti cooked wayyyy past al dente. It came with my TEE, and I thought I'd bought a defective driver. Re-shafted with a Comp NT and got happy.

The S300 is not a crappy shaft. It's just sold to the wrong players.

I could not agree more with the above statements, however, I find the TEE NV's to be spot on with the aftermarket versions of the NV. The Fuji just borders on being controllable. Amazingly enough, the Fuji HL in the JMAX line appears to be a better shaft, at least the copies I have in my Carbon Fairways seem to play more consistant than the one I tried in an Exotics. I am still going to reshaft those as they are not as consistant as I would like them to be (probably more of an archer problem than a bow problem :D) wtih SE brand PL Blues.

Totally agree on the S300 statement. Not a bad shaft at all, just sold/bought by a lot of foks who should not be playing them.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
You know that the only difference between an R300 and an R400 is 3g of added weight right? Its just an out of spec R300, nothing even remotely fancy about it.

If I recall correctly, thats what the difference between Dynamic Golds and the regular Dynamic line is. DG's are weight sorted into sub flexes where the standard Dynamics can vary in weight. Does that sound about right?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006

Yea, didnt know the exact specs, but thought it was a little heavier.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I could not agree more with the above statements, however, I find the TEE NV's to be spot on with the aftermarket versions of the NV. The Fuji just borders on being controllable. Amazingly enough, the Fuji HL in the JMAX line appears to be a better shaft, at least the copies I have in my Carbon Fairways seem to play more consistant than the one I tried in an Exotics. I am still going to reshaft those as they are not as consistant as I would like them to be (probably more of an archer problem than a bow problem :D) wtih SE brand PL Blues.

Totally agree on the S300 statement. Not a bad shaft at all, just sold/bought by a lot of foks who should not be playing them.
Maybe the smaller fairway head creates less torque, thus the "limp noodle known as the HL55" only twists a couple of degrees at impact, versus the 20º or so that it did with that big TEE driver head.
icon12.gif

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
I believe the stock shaft in the PING G10 irons is the AWT shaft. I do know that Callaway was one of the first big manufacturers to weaken shaft flexes. Their firm flex shafts are very soft

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
sorry, the first poster meant G10 driver. Ping stock shafts aren't very good IMO. It's one of teh few knocks I have on PING (IMO the best golf manufacturer by far)

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
Lyle, out of all the posters on Golf review (where I am also a member), I respect you the most (by far) to give an honest, unbiased answer. What is the difference bewteen the DG s400 and the X100? I know the weight is a little different but what about flex? Is there much of a difference? I hit both shafts and settled on the s400. My 5 iron swing speed is 98 mph

🔥 Latest posts