• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft question

robereno

Oct 25, 2006
Ive noticed numerous threads about the shafts you guys spend money on no matter what the club is just to get the shaft. Give me your opinions on which shafts we should keep and eye out for and even consider just listing the shaft w/o the heads.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
ive seen tons of diamana blueboards you have in taylormade heads (like my 425 i bought from you :)) those alone retail for 200-300 new. i got my driver from you for under 200 bucks canadian shipped, in good condition (actually excellent). that shaft was the main reason i chose that driver.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Mid range stuff.

Stuff like NV's, Blues, NVS, PL can be had for pennies if you know where to look.

The money shafts are things like Speeders, Diamanas, Creations, Epic, VS Protos, or anything in those price ranges. And, if you can offer them at a discount, all the better.

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Stuff like NV's, Blues, NVS, PL can be had for pennies if you know where to look.

Yup, just wait for Rock to pull one from his latest Ho.:laugh:

I would agree with Rock's shaft list, the shafts he mentioned would probably have me consider buying the club so I could pull the shaft if the price is right.

If it was the club I was interested in, I would more apt to buy it if it was shafted with one from Rock's list or a quality shaft I know I can play (like an NV or YS-6+) rather than a stock shaft.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
#1 Mitsubishi-Rayon Diamana and Bassara
#2 Fujukura Speeder, Rombax, Fit-on and Zcom
#3 VS Proto (the blue colored Aldila)
#4 The Graffalloy, UST, Aldila stuff.

Also any Taylormade TP logo graphite shafts.

They'd all go around 1/2 of new retail as a one time, good conditon, untipped and playable length pull. I like to see 43" on a driver pull, 42 on a 3W or 5W and 40" for a hybrid shaft.

It will be important to have accurate lengths and pics of both ends, tip and butt without grip, to get top dollar and avoid problems.

My previous employment offers still stand. lol.

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
Definitely Speeder's (757 in particular)
Graphite Designs (The PM-702)
Too many Grafalloys to mention
Aldila's are always flippable.
Diamana's

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Mid range stuff.

The money shafts are things like Speeders, Diamanas, Creations, Epic, VS Protos, or anything in those price ranges. And, if you can offer them at a discount, all the better.

R35

Agreed, I have been know to buy clubs as much for the shaft as the actual clubhead. My next project is an R7 TP fw with Diamana red board ( at a decent price). If you can stock some of the more exotic shafts as Rock has mentioned that would be...well AWESOME!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If anyone is buying a club for the shaft alone in the near future, can I have the head? Preferably something in the 8.5-9.5* range.

Need to try out that EPIC. :D

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm with Vt. I'm loving my YS-6+ in my 905R and my YS-7+ in my 3-wood. :D

VS Proto is great also and so is NVS

:D

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
All the usual suspects here, and great idea to look at the opportunity for GG.

Need some way of accessing the condition of shafts (new, used, cut down etc.) Graphite is so fragile, it could start opening up cans of worms.

But overall great idea.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
A few things to remember….

Brand names do not guarantee quality…nor does price.

The Aldila VS proto has got an extremely strong spine…and aligned incorrectly can turn out to be a $200 buck disaster….whereas a $12 Graman or I-drive can be aligned pretty much in any direction and provide you greater stability and consistency.

Of course, you’ll be compromising in other areas… 

Much of what you pay for shafts, is marketing and advertising costs embedded in the cost to give the illusion of quality.

Some manufacturers simply tell their dealers to jack up the price to further perpetuate the misconception.

Great example is Mercury had a line of shafts that were always within .001cpm of stated butt flex…ALWAYS…they had a line of shafts that were directly competitive to another specific shaft in the industry…

Their Triax profiled very very closely to the 757….but where the Fuji retailed at $270….the Merc came in at $22.

Mercury even had a standing challenge that any shaft company that could prove their shaft was better, would receive a $10k award.

No one ever beat the Mercs.

Sadly, what killed Mercury was the population was fed the belief tha: “inexpensive = inferior”.

Had they raised their retail prices b 4x’s, they’d still be in business.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
So, why aren't OEM's jumping on board with these shaft companies? I'm not questioning your response, Rory. More asking a question out loud.

I play Merc Kevlar Pros in my fairway woods for a long time. Solid shafts. I think I paid $18 for each of them.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online