• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft Question

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
Which is a better Shaft?

Aldila VS Proto "by you" 65

Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65

Graphite Design YS-6+

Taylor Made RE*AX 65

I honestly know nothing about shafts except regular, stiff, x stiff.

I am looking to buy a R7 460 and wnat to know about the shafts before I buy. I got tested and my swing speed is 104-107 so I know I need stiff. the guy also told me I need a shaft with mid to upper kick.

thanks in advance

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
There is no "best shaft". What works for me will be crap for you.

All those shafts come stock in many OEM clubs. I suggest going and testing them all out, see what feels best TO YOU.

Plus, you'll get to hit a bunch of sweet golf clubs, so it's seriously win-win. :D

R35

OP
Clemson

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
Well I hit the reax this past Friday when I was getting fitted and it was a nice shaft. I didn't know that these where stock shafts in that case I will just order the best deal I can get on Global.

thanks

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Which is a better Shaft?

Aldila VS Proto "by you" 65

Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65

Graphite Design YS-6+

Taylor Made RE*AX 65

I honestly know nothing about shafts except regular, stiff, x stiff.

I am looking to buy a R7 460 and wnat to know about the shafts before I buy. I got tested and my swing speed is 104-107 so I know I need stiff. the guy also told me I need a shaft with mid to upper kick.

thanks in advance

The proLaunch is low kick, so if the guy had any clue and is correct that you need a mid to upper kickpoint, the proLaunch probably won't work for you

I've generally read terrible things about stock TM shafts and would probably lean towards the VS Proto or the YS-6
Lastly, i think the YS-6 plays a little soft to flex especially in a non-bore through hosel (titleist/callaway= bore thru)

Rock is right though, try each on a launch monitor and decide which you like the best

What loft did the guy recommend?

OP
Clemson

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
the guy recommended nothing higher than a 9.5°. He seemed to know his stuff when it came to reading the launch results and know how to correct the problems.

OP
Clemson

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
it is not offered in the VS proto. I am looking to buy a used one in good shape off of the global golf site and I am wanting something decent to start with. the shafts that I listed above are the ones I have to choose from in the used section. If that shaft doesn't work out then I will start buying different shafts for that club. I just need something to start with. I would like to be able to start hitting something consistently straighter than I am know with a regular shaft 12.5° Cobra. Oh, the guy about fell down when I told him what I was hitting at home half way through the session.

OP
Clemson

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
Sorry WBL, I thought you said the VS proforce. The VS proto is offered. but I think it is only a two star with some minor scratches on or around the crown.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Honestly, Clemson. My R5 Dual TP was rated at 2 stars, with the same saying. It's honestly not even close. I only notice one scratch when I look really close, and it's not like it'd effect play at all.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The VS proto is money if you have the swing for it. I believe if i remember correctly rock said it played quite stout, but with a 104-107 SS you shouldnt have much problem with it i dont think.

Most stock shafts are crap, tmade shafts are probly best stock, but are still crap, the prolaunch as said is a high launch shaft, so wouldnt be too good for you, out of the above listed and from what youve said the VS proto sounds like the best bet, and plus GG is absolutely money with their ratings, from pics and wat is said around here, theyre 2 star is like ebays 8.5-9.

OP
Clemson

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
sounds good I will go ahead and get the vs proto and try it from there. I might hate it but I don't see how. this will be my first time form me to swing a club that actually fits my swing.

Thanks Guys!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I bought the R5 Dual TP rated at 2 stars and I was happy as could be when I saw it was much better then that. GG rates them lower then most. :D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Good luck with it and good choice. I play the VS Proto in my driver and have similar profile to yours. I've hit a lot of expensive shafts and I like this one best.

🔥 Latest posts