• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft question?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I recently put a Grafalloy..Prolite..3.5s in my g2 11.5* it came with the soft regular ping shaft I believe the tlc shaft..

I have a g5 7 wood that has a Grafalloy Blue..75R shaft which I can hit very well. I see in a different thread someone has a Prolaunch 65

whats the difference?

Also throw in my g2 9 wood with a JZ steel stiff that I also hit very well..

I still cant hit the driver. I'm always slicing. The new shaft seems too stiff.

Should I have the same shaft in all of them. My SS is around 95mph

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
No, you should tailor your shafts for each club.

That ProLite is for crushers. It's extremelt stiff and low launching. With an 11.5* driver, you're sorta defeating the purpose.

Your fairway woods should be a bit heavier, but not too heavy as to slow your swing down. You want control and the feel of steel in these clubs, which is what an 75-85g shaft will offer.

Your 7 wood has a lighter (probably 64g) Blue in it, in regular flex. Stiff tip allows for better control and tighter dispersion overall. That's probably why you hit it well.

The 9 wood has a steel shaft, which is heavy and slows your swing for control.

Try getting a ProLaunch or and NVS in your driver. It'll make a world of difference.

The ProLaunch is high launching, not quite as stiff in the tip section as the low to mid launching Blue. The Blue also plays half a flex stiffer (relatively speaking), the PL plays a bit more true to flex.

Good luck Mont. My suggestion is to get out and hit some 10.5* drivers with PL's installed in them. There are all kinds out there, it's a pretty standard shaft these days.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Agreeing with Rock on the Prolite. I picked up a 975J with it in there. It's light allright but stiffer and lower launching than the X flex NT. Best drive I hit with the 975J went about 12feet off the ground but ran out to 275.

OP
mont86

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the replies guys. That should get me heading in the right direction..

One more question. As far as loft on drivers..I'm a highhandicap. slower swing speed is the 10.5* a good place too start. The only reason I got an
11.5 is because I was reading an article by Jim Furyk and thats what he suggested for the average person. And I haven't heard much from the guys here about it.. the 11.5 anyway...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nothing wrong with an 11.5. That shaft is bringing the flight way down though. I have it in an 8.5. I only bought it because it was super cheap (like $18) and I registerd a 119swing speed on the radar with it. I had to see what it would do for real. I guess in my opinion, when you are losing distance because of balooning a high lofted driver, then drop down.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ez has it. I have an 8.5* that I hit so high, I expect it to bring rain sometimes. And, that's even matched with a Graf Blue.

It's all about launch. Most guys, especially high handicappers, have trouble getting it up.....well, golf balls at least. :D That's why game improvement irons have large soles and low CG's, so that the ball launches higher maximizing distance in the process.

Now, a more skilled golfer understands how to get the ball high or low, almost at will. Their need for a lower CG and higher launching iron is much less.

In the driver sense, your goal should be to get the higher launch you can without ballooning. An 11.5 might be your personal loft.

It's funny, but actual loft vs impact loft (the loft written on the head/measured loft vs loft imparted on the ball at impact)can be entirely different between two players playing that same shaft/head combo that what might work for one 16hcp may be the shits for another 16hcp'er. It's all so personal.

Get into a launch monitor and hit a few different head and shaft combo's. It's friggin' amazing to see that a 10.5* 905 matched with a ProLaunch might be your worst combo ever, yet a 10.5* FT-3 with a ProLaunch might be your holy grail. It can make that much of a difference.

I used to praise that heads were all asthetics. Well, that's BS from what i've learned over the last little while. Different heads DO make a difference, in terms of weight, CG and how your particular swing impacts the striking of the ball.

Get out there and hit some shafts. I bet you're blown away at what works for you.

R35

OP
mont86

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I'll start looking into different drivers. The proshop where I bought this shaft is setting up a launch monitor this fall. so I be excited too see what I do on that.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, the degree of the club also counts so much on what shaft. If you've got a say...Graffaloy Blue Tour X, you will probably hit it low regardless.

Things to be concerned with are the tip(softer=higher), shaft strength, and as said, degree of the clubface. Find a combo you like, this is where a launch monitor comes in handy.

OP
mont86

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
What will the launch monitor tell me and how do I use the info.?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A monitor will tell you what your swing parameters are for a certain club. You'll get ballspeed, swingspeed, spin, carry distance, launch angle and total distance (estimated). Some good monitors also have smash factor and hang time.

Check out this monitor dashboard that Sonic Boom golf has setup. Use the buttons at the top to estimate ballspeed from your current swingspeed and turn the dials to maximize your best launch conditions. It pretty much outlines everything:

http://www.sonicboomgolf.com/distanceoptimizationdashboard.swf

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I put a Prolite 35s in my Launcher and it worked wonders,the old Cleveland gold was a turkey in comparison

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I love the Prolite, though I would love a heavier model instead of the 64g one. I had a Steelhead Plus with that fitted and I nailed that thing !!! Mate has it now, though his Dad chipped the back edge of the head..:(

🔥 Latest posts