• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft Questions(Pershing)

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I won an ebay auction for a Pershing 60gram -S Flex shaft for a driver.. I bid on it, but accidentally won it. I tossed in a cheap bid for the hell of it, and some how won it. It's brand new.

I'm thinking about putting it in the tour burner tp, or possibly the R9 to see how it feels. All I can find on it, is it's a pretty lively shaft, easy to load, has high torque, and stable.

They say it's a mid launch shaft, and low spinning. I like the YS-6 shafts, a good bit, and they say the Pershing is lower spin. I need to drop the spin down, as well as lower my launch, because I'm getting WAY up there on the tee box, and they are simply just falling out of the sky, with little to no roll out. The Motore on the R9 is a nice shaft, I just haven't gotten used to it enough. The Whiteboard is a great shaft for me, but I don't want to fork out the dough for another one. I'm thinking my launch angle might be my swing at the moment, so I'm trying to stick with low spin, and medium launch.

Will this Pershing be the wrong shaft? Should I just sell it off?

That said... If I keep it.. What tip prepping should I do? I've only installed 1 shaft in a hybrid and just cut the butt and installed it after scraping the tip section.

It's also a .335 tip. If I decide to try it in the R9, I have another .350 tip. I could shim it, but what other aspects am I missing, or problems would I cause? Would it play different being shimmed?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
For me the Pershing is a little soft.

I tip trimmed about 3/4 of an inch on an S flex and its still just a touch soft. Go a full inch and you'll be golden!!!

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Lefty, what is your SS?

I'm around 103-105 when I give it the normal pop. I was actually thinking about getting something a *tad* on the softer side.. Just wasn't sure how much to tip it before I shim it, and glue it in the tip. Didn't know if the shim would make any difference with tipping it or how it would play..

I don't want it so soft, AND with all that torque, and to start sending rocket ships into orbit AND to the right.

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Lefty, what is your SS?

I'm around 103-105 when I give it the normal pop. I was actually thinking about getting something a *tad* on the softer side.. Just wasn't sure how much to tip it before I shim it, and glue it in the tip. Didn't know if the shim would make any difference with tipping it or how it would play..

I don't want it so soft, AND with all that torque, and to start sending rocket ships into orbit AND to the right.

I'm pretty much the same as you, can take it up to 108ish at ABSOLUTE MAX but the majority fall into 102-105. As far as I know, shimming does bugger all to anything except make it fit, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong.

As in my sig, I have it in my Hibore XL and its mid-low launch for me. My advice if your looking for something softer would be to still tip 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. My mate had a non-tipped Pershing in a 907 D2 9.5* that I launched pretty damn high.

When all is said and done though I love a stiffer shaft, Creation in Stiff is my favourite (at the moment!) and it is one stout mother! So take that into consideraton when you decide how much to tip yours...

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Thanks.. I might just go ahead and cut off 1" from the tip, fit it up, and then see what I want to do with butt trimming.. Thinking around 44.5 or 44.25 final length.

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Thanks.. I might just go ahead and cut off 1" from the tip, fit it up, and then see what I want to do with butt trimming.. Thinking around 44.5 or 44.25 final length.

Smells like a bloody good plan to me mate. 44.5'', I reckon is the go!

Do it, you wont regret it!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online