• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft suggestions for Ft-i

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Okay, I'm about ready to sip the Kool-Aide after todays round. Maybe a square headed driver will give me a bit more stability and consistency? I love the Matrix Ozik Code 6 in my XL, and I love the combination too much to pull the shaft out of the XL, so what shafts that are available, either in the Ft-i, or the Ft-i mix that will play similar?

http://www.matrixshafts.com/images/charts/code_table.jpg

From what little I know, it looks like the GD YS-Q 65 stiff is about the closest. Has anyone tried this shaft?

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
LH is Spot on just get the LCG and Matrix Xcon 6 is the stock shaft, I'd go down a degree in loft though.... here you go a 8.5 degree Draw bias for $129.99 http://callawaygolfpreowned.com/drivers/drivers-ft-i-tour-lcg.aspx

No risk as well buying from here. :callaway:

The Ft-i is that much higher launching? I hate going with the draw biased, even though I fight a fade that occasionally turns into a slice, I hate buying a club designed to mask a swing flaw. Who knows, maybe I'll sort out my swing, then what? Would the draw biased driver turn into a hook machine?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
The Ft-i is that much higher launching? I hate going with the draw biased, even though I fight a fade that occasionally turns into a slice, I hate buying a club designed to mask a swing flaw. Who knows, maybe I'll sort out my swing, then what? Would the draw biased driver turn into a hook machine?

Grab the neutral in better condition for $3 more. The square head will help to straighten your ball flight a little so you may hit straighter and then fight a ball that only turns into a fade. And if it don't work out I am 100% certain that you would get your money back. And then some.

Hell, you could pull the thing apart and sell both the shaft and head individually for over $100 each.

I'm pretty peeved that a lefty costs about $12 more per condition than the righty's. Think I might send an e-mail to Cally Pre-Owned about my disgruntlement, see if I can't get a discount....

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Yup exactly what everybody else said, get the LCG FTi cheap! For me it kind of launches the same just flattens out and doesn't balloon like the regular Fti and carries forever. I also fight a fade semi slice sometimes and I play a neutral head and hit it well, I wouldn't get the draw version, last time i played around with a draw version I was actually drawing it semi hooking it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wow. I never realized how similar the Code series was to the 757. I might have to give one a go at some point.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The LCG/Matrix combo is exactly what I just picked up. Went with a neutral, "very good" conditioned one.

Callaway pre-owned is really making it a no brainer right now. Besides some great pricing, they are also offering a 30 day test drive with a full refund; ordinarily it is a 90% refund in store credit.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
How stiff does the Code 6 play?

I have no experience but Matrix actually tests every shaft and puts a CPM on the shaft label. That is really cool I think. If you know your stuff you can get a shaft flex dialed into a very exact spec. No "regular or stiff?" We're talking "251, 254 or 258 cpm.?". This is another reason the high price is semi-justifiable.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007

I have a XL Tour as well with a VS Proto 65 S, to me they play very similar. The Code 6 is just smoother feeling. You can really feel the kick to when the shaft releases.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

The Code 6 has a built in Boron hinge in it, so it plays unlike any other Matrix shaft. It's really cool, but not for everyone.

The Code 7 is more of the traditional shaft feel, with a great kick and reponse. A bit heavier, but more what the average joe would expect.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
The Code 6 has a built in Boron hinge in it, so it plays unlike any other Matrix shaft. It's really cool, but not for everyone.

The Code 7 is more of the traditional shaft feel, with a great kick and reponse. A bit heavier, but more what the average joe would expect.

R35
Ok Rock, now talk to me like I'm a golf idiot...should be easy as I am and you usually do! ;) 'splain this "Boron hinge" stuff.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Here ya go MC.
Matrix OZIK Code-6, Code-7, and Code-8 combine the new ideas of OZIK with past Matrix technologies like Tip Torsional Resistence. The combination of the two ideologies yields extremely solid, tip-stable designs that retain the smooth OZIK feel. Code-7 and Code-8 mirror each other in design, with only minor differences in launch angle and spin rate (Code-7 being higher in each). Code-6 is unique among the group. In Code-6, designer Daniel You incorporated a 20-inch Boron “hinge” near the upper-mid section of the shaft. The purpose of “the hinge” is to soften the mid section for momentum and allow for a slight “weighting” of the tip section. The resulting Code-6 is a rare light weight shaft that still has head feel

🔥 Latest posts