• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft/Swing Speed/Ball Flight Question

Patlawman

Apr 7, 2005
Here's my question:

The Driver: a Ping G2- 10 degrees.
Assuming my grip, alignment and swing fundamentals are all sound, with a swing speed of 100mph, what will the difference in ball flight be between an Aldila NV 65 Regular Flex shaft and the same in a Stiff Flex shaft??? And, all things as set forth above, would one get more distance from a regular or stiff flex shaft?

Thanks!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Stiff flex with the NV.

I hit my drive with about the same swingspeed, and I'm easily a stiff. The regular isn't up to snuff for me, anyways.

In terms of distance, you can hit them both the same distance, but you'd be pushing more shots out to the right because of the lagging head coming through the zone. The stiffer shaft gets it through there quicker, catching up with your hands and arms.

If you have the opportunity, try both. But honestly, i'd say go Stiff.

R35

OP
P

Patlawman

Apr 7, 2005
Thats interesting Rock. Of the more than 10 people I asked, you are the only one to say "stiff". My reason for asking was that I feel I have the regular flex but my tee shots seem to be going a bit too high and thus I feel I am sacrificing distance. At my fitting, the Pro said "Regular" and so thats I what I went with.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The fact that your shots are going high could be that you have a low kick point shaft, which gets the ball higher. If you want a lower ball flight, you need to go to a mid or high kickpoint. That way, you'll get maximum distance with carry.

Carrying a stiff shaft in your driver is usually a macho thing. There are so many guys out there that carry them and shouldn't be. But, when you're swinging in the triple digits, you should carry a stiff driver shaft and bring it. The fact that you're swinging at about 100 makes me beleive that you're not so afraid of losing a few balls in searching for the almighty grail of distance. I mean, if you weren't, you'd tone it down and swing 3/4 with a regular shaft.

I'm not gonna argue with your fitter, as he knows best. And it also depends on whether or not you are a smooth swinger or a loader. Guys that load up on a shaft usually need that's stiffer than a guy that takes it through the zone smoother than most.

I liked the G2 when I hit it in the cage. The stock stiff shaft was a little soft for me, but it got the job done. I bet with an NV, it would be a great set up.

R35

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
I have the NV Regular and its easily the best golf decision I have ever made, I've never hit my Driver further or straighter in my life...but hey thats just me and anyone here will tell you, you have to do what works for you.

OP
P

Patlawman

Apr 7, 2005
Rock and Rosmo I greatly appreciate your comments!

Rock: can you elaborate on "kick point"???

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I was fitted for Launcher comp a while ago and the best setup for me was a 10.5 reg. I carried it 270 yards, easy. For poops and chuckles I when I demoed the mizuno mp-001 i hit it in a 10.5 reg as well. Prefection. I currently have a stiff 10 degree driver. its long but very low. and harder to control and the the above drivers with a reg shaft. Though that may be due the to fact the by driver is a steel head knock off POS.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Patlawman said:
Rock and Rosmo I greatly appreciate your comments!

Rock: can you elaborate on "kick point"???

I am not Rock, but I can give some feedback.

Kickpoint is where the shaft flexes and torques just prior to impact... think of it as the unloading portion. You may see some pros really load up their shafts (the hands way out front and the shaft bent behind them - sometimes referred to as lag) anyways when it snaps back is when it "kicks". Physics show that a low kickpoint in the shaft will launch the ball high, where a mid would keep the ball down

I hope I got this right and that it makes sense.

🔥 Latest posts