• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft Trimming - Noob alert

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Alright I got a UL 440 that is 48" raw. I also have a Geek DCT head. I want to play it at 46". How much shaft do I trim off? 2" butt trim? I know there's more to this, I'm just not sure what to do. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Put the shaft in and epoxy it. Let it dry. Then, cut it to length. Case closed. :mgw:

R35

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Measure it from the hosel to the butt to equal 46"? I honestly have no clue whatsoever.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Measure it from the hosel to the butt to equal 46"? I honestly have no clue whatsoever.

nope - measure from the ground to the grip with the club at address
(I think the USGA measures based on some crazy jig with a 60* lie angle )

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
http://www.usga.org/equipment/protocols/clublength_r1_1.pdf

Check out page 4, top picture. That's how the USGA measures club length.

Hell, I'll just post the picture...LOL.

You can do it how Rick mentions, but it's not exactly 100% accurate. But for guys like us, it is. I do it that way too cuz I ain't got a jig. :)

R35
clublength.jpg

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
k. LOL. I think I got it. I knew to lean it up against the wall in address...but I thought it only applied to irons or something, actually I don't quite know what I thought. I had a general idea though. Thanks a lot

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
k. LOL. I think I got it. I knew to lean it up against the wall in address...but I thought it only applied to irons or something, actually I don't quite know what I thought. I had a general idea though. Thanks a lot

Rick and I will be measuring your driver to see if it's conforming, so take care. ;)

R35

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Just be sure not to cut excess off the TIP end. Cutting the tip will affect the stiffness dramatically and the shaft will NOT fit into the hosel. Shafts have a fixed parallel portion then proceed to to the tapered length. As Rock said glue first. I have made myself a jig with a carpenter's angle tool and a tape measure to measure length. The reason why it is a little difficult to measure is each club has a different lie angle and the measurement is dependent on the lie angle.

I use the point where a line extended down the shaft length meets the line extended across the bottom of the sole of the club. Not official but it is a constant point that works for me.

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I'm taking it to a former CPGA pro that builds clubs to cut it. It was the best kept secret in this neighborhood. At first I thought his store was just cheaply run, but he's got an awesome set up in an awesome location. He gave me an awesome deal on some balls and talked with me a lot, I can see myself buying from this guy all summer. He builds clubs, gives lessons and sells clubs. I'm pretty sure he's also a TEE dealer as there was a ton of TEE clubs there.

Anyway, it was mainly for informational purposes, as I think I'm going to buy a handpicked 16* Geek 3 wood. So I'll most likely build that for myself. I had a lot of fun building my irons, but I think I'm going to get my TLT specs and get this guy to build my irons for me at the beginning of June. Wow I am way off topic, thanks again for letting me know the right way.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online