• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shafted in WRX driver deal

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
This happened to me over in WRX but I thought I would share it with you guys also.

After PMs with one of the Mods, he suggested to post here about a bad BST transaction I had with a fellow WRX member Alcazark. I had purchased a TM Tour Burner TP driver shafted with a Ion Diamana Whiteboard from him on Aug 17, 2009. This post has no intention of outing the seller but I feel it's an experience to share with others. This is a brief description of what happened and please realize that this is the highlights of the whole situation and lots of PMs.

Basically, I received the club and gave it a quick inspection and all looked good. A few days later I took the club to a Golf USA store to get an extension put in. We were looking the club over and thought that the ferrule looked to be a bit off. I gave the shaft and head a wiggle and thought it seemed a little loose but wasn't sure if there was a problem. I notified the seller that night that I thought something was wrong, but the only way to know for sure is to have the head pulled and he said go for it.

Here's where things get interesting. The guy at the golf shop pulls the head to find out that the shaft tip is broken. Here's the kicker. The outer layers of the shaft tip were broken off but the inner layers were still intact. This had happen previously and the shaft was reinstalled with a home made plastic shim. Never seen anything like this.

I notified the seller of the condition of the club and he says he knows nothing about this and that it was fine when it was in his possession. I provided him with the name of the owner of the store and the # so he could talk to him if he didn't believe me. The seller never made the call.

I felt it was his responsibility to take care of this or take the club back and return my money but he didn't feel the same. At one point he did offer me up to $75 to help replace the shaft which was nice. I turned the offer down at first but gave in after many PMs. After I accepted the $75 deal he dragged his feet for awhile and would not respond to PMs. After several days he pm's me and tells me he is doing some checking first, but will know very soon before he sends me any funds. After a couple more days and no contact, I filed a paypal dispute.

The seller escalated the dispute to a claim and almost instantaneously paypal denied me my refund. I called Paypal and they tell me that they will not reverse any private transactions unless the item was not received or unless if it was bought on Ebay where they can determine the condition of the item from the listing description. I offered them all information from WRX (club listing and PMs) but they said it did not matter.

You learn something new everyday. I guess there is no protection with paypal unless you buy off ebay. WTF does buyers protection mean?

The problem here is my morals are differ than the sellers. He may not have known there was a problem with the club. Regardless, if I would have sold someone a club and it was tampered with in such a way, I would have taken responsibility for it. I would hate to think that someone else is put out because of something I did or sold them. I would never do that.
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1952984-->

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I'd say he needs to take the club back, thanks for the heads up.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I agree with you. He sold you a faulty club, whether he knew it or not. But honestly, how could he NOT have known it?

So, you didn't even get the $75, did you? That's really the pits.

In lighter news, I'm still using your NP-1's :)

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Did you use a credit card through Paypal? Probably not, but if you did, you could do a chargeback through them.

Paypal really is a piece of shit when it comes to refunds. I had no idea they were such douches outside ebay. Even inside an ebay transaction they will only refund you what you paid, so you have to PAY to ship it back out of your own pocket. So you don't get the item, AND you are out shipping.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Even inside an ebay transaction they will only refund you what you paid, so you have to PAY to ship it back out of your own pocket. So you don't get the item, AND you are out shipping.

Not always, I had a guy hose me when I bought some carbon fiber intake tubes for my R1. The description wasn't even close to what he sent me & they were for the wrong year bike. he tried to be an ass about it but eventually paypal sided with me & I got everything back + shipping costs.

That being said I still don't like paypal but they are the biggest & easiest to use right now.

OP
S

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
I agree with you. He sold you a faulty club, whether he knew it or not. But honestly, how could he NOT have known it?

So, you didn't even get the $75, did you? That's really the pits.

In lighter news, I'm still using your NP-1's :)

Nope. Just have a head and a messed up shaft..

Hope those Naks are working out for ya. They are sweet forgings.

OP
S

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
Did you use a credit card through Paypal? Probably not, but if you did, you could do a chargeback through them.

Paypal really is a piece of shit when it comes to refunds. I had no idea they were such douches outside ebay. Even inside an ebay transaction they will only refund you what you paid, so you have to PAY to ship it back out of your own pocket. So you don't get the item, AND you are out shipping.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, I had loaded funds, so no credit card was used.

I was reading through the paypal claims process and it said there would be an investigation. Well, there was no investigation and they sided with the seller without even hearing my side of the story. I guess the seller pays the fees so why not? The investigation is a joke.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Wow, that's crap!

I do alot of selling here and on ebay. I am over conservative with my ratings and am very specific about blemishes, etc. I have only ever had one mishap, pulled shaft and missed a small crack in the tip. It was small and to this day I don't know how I missed it. Sold the shaft to a guy in Maine who said he was a pro. As soon as he mentioned that there was a crack I felt like an idiot. I asked him to ship it back to me so I could take a look at it and he basically said not to worry about it, he only paid $15+ shipping so wasn't to worried. I still refunded his money anyway, I just didn't feel right.

I don't see a way out of this for you though, either getting your money back or getting him to make it right. I hate getting screwed and I hate it when other people get screwed...especially when it comes to equipment :thumbs up:

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
totally sucks, sorry to hear of it. Honestly, WRX is a place I will never buy or sell at.

Hope something eventually works out for you.

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
If I was in the same situation, I would definitely let it be known in a couple different thread categories all over wrx about how poorly this fella handled it,
with pics and all. I don't know how mature that is, but i would make him regret his decision and blast him all over the forum, so that at least no one else
will buy from him.

What a shady guy.

OP
S

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
Its really too bad but I would have to say that I have been very fortunate. I have been trading, selling, and buying golf equipment online for 10yrs now and have only had one problem but immediately got my money back. Don't get me wrong, it still sucks, especially with an expensive shaft, but I have been lucky to deal with so many good people.

OP
S

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
If I was in the same situation, I would definitely let it be known in a couple different thread categories all over wrx about how poorly this fella handled it,
with pics and all. I don't know how mature that is, but i would make him regret his decision and blast him all over the forum, so that at least no one else
will buy from him.

What a shady guy.

I have this post up in WRX deal/no deal section and have been getting some feedback there. I have also notified several of the mods there, although there is not much they can do but they are very aware of the situation.

OP
S

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
Wow, that's crap!

I do alot of selling here and on ebay. I am over conservative with my ratings and am very specific about blemishes, etc. I have only ever had one mishap, pulled shaft and missed a small crack in the tip. It was small and to this day I don't know how I missed it. Sold the shaft to a guy in Maine who said he was a pro. As soon as he mentioned that there was a crack I felt like an idiot. I asked him to ship it back to me so I could take a look at it and he basically said not to worry about it, he only paid $15+ shipping so wasn't to worried. I still refunded his money anyway, I just didn't feel right.

I don't see a way out of this for you though, either getting your money back or getting him to make it right. I hate getting screwed and I hate it when other people get screwed...especially when it comes to equipment :thumbs up:

You and i are very alike and i would have done the same thing in your situation. I never want anyone to be disappointed with me and would rather eat the money.

🔥 Latest posts