• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shafts on Hybrid/Utility clubs

KevinTPA

Aug 12, 2005
I'm considering purchasing a hybrid/utility club but don't know if I should use a steel or graphite shaft. What are your opinions? Also which shafts are good for these clubs?

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I like graphite in my hybrids. The two best sellers are the aldila nv- hybrid and the fulikura bonzi.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Kevin:

I'll strongly back up obagain on this one. I have the TM Rescue Mid with the Aldila NV hybrid and love it. It is superbly matched to the head. The club has the feel of an iron and feels neither whippy or too stiff.

My Sonartec 5 wood has a 19 degree loft and a Penley Tour Lite shaft that is 1 3/4 inches longer than the TM RM which has a 22 degree loft with the Aldila shaft.

For some reason that I have still not been able to figure out - I only get 10 additional yards out of the Sonartec vs the TM - while at the same time - the TM is much much more versatile and provides better control.

I have had the Sonartec for a year and the TM for 8 months. I play about 50 rounds per year so I have enough experience with both under playing conditions to feel good about this.

If I were forced to play a round with five clubs in the bag, without a doubt the TM RM would be one of the five.

Was playing in a charity scramble last week and had three occasions where my three partners had hit their shots in the woods and we just needed something straight up the fairway. Each time I hit the TM RM and got a good result...

The only drawback is the expense...about $175...

Don

Aug 23, 2005
You might want to ask yourself what the want to hybrid to do for you. When I built my current set of irons I decided to build a 18 hybrid at the same time. Because I wanted the hybrid to feel as much like my long irons as possible, I decided to install a steel shaft. Having it feel the same as my irons makes it a little easier to play it like a long iron, rather then like a fairway wood. If you hit your fairway wood real well, you might be better off with a graphite shaft in your hybrid so it feels more like the wood you hit well. I hope that makes sense to someone other than me. For me, one nice bonuse of using a steel shaft, is that I was able to save a lot of money over what a really good graphite shaft like the Aldila NV Hybrid, which costs $75.00. Good steel shafts cost only $10.00-$15.00. The way I was hitting my hybrid the last time out, it was the right choice for me.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Like Don, I went with steel in my hybrids to have them feel like my irons. While I certainly defer to obagain and Bravo as being more experienced and superior golfers, I do have to say that I am happy with the steel shafts in both of these clubs. (Mizuno Fli Hi CLK 20* and Nickent Genex 3DX 24*)

OP
KevinTPA

KevinTPA

Aug 12, 2005
Thanks for the input. I may go with a steal shaft because it will be replacing a long iron or 2 and it keeps the cost down.

Any opinions on the UST IRod shaft? It's more in my price range.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
It is not a bad shaft. I don't like the response as much as the aldila but it is a good shaft.

If you go with steel try the new accra steel shaft. They feel great and have a low spin rate so they should work well in a hybrid.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
My Hagen hybrid 3i and 4irons have Aldila uniflex shafts. I believe they are considered a "universal" flex. . .At least that's what I've read. THEY ARE awesome. I can take a nice easy slow swing, and the ball just flies. BUT, if I need to rip one out of the rough, I can still keep the club face straight and the ball still flies.

The uniflex shaft is a graphite-composite of some sort, I'd recommend it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have had good results with RP Rifle 5.5 steel shafts in my three hyrbids and would recommend them in a heartbeat. I tried the TT Crossfires in my older hybrids and they worked out OK, but I am reshafting those with some UST graphites to see how well they work out. Since I use RP Rifle's in my irons, it made more sense to stay consistant and put them in my hybrids.

Don

Aug 23, 2005
I installed a set of TT Tri_Gold steel shafts in my new irons, and that why I decided to go witha TT TX-90 steel shaft in my hybrid. The long iron shafts in the TriGold set are lighter than the short iron shafts, so the TX90 shaft was a closer match to my iron shafts, plus the TX90 has a low kick point to help get the ball up with the hybrid, which is what I was looking for. The TriGold shafts have lower kick points in the longer irons, so again it was a good match to the rest of the irons. Might not be what works for everyone, but that's what I was trying to do with my new set of clubs, and it's working so far.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
KevinTPA said:
Thanks for the input. I may go with a steal shaft because it will be replacing a long iron or 2 and it keeps the cost down.

Kevin:

Before you make your final decision, give the Hogan hybrid with the steel shaft a demo. I liked these very much (almost as much as the TM) and they were selling for around $99 at the time I was doing my shopping. It is a well regarded choice in the hybrid line.

🔥 Latest posts