• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shafts

carolina x

Oct 9, 2005
I was fitted recently at my local golf shop, they checked my swing speed, length of club, lie etc. I was in the market for a new set of irons and ended up with Cleveland CG4's that i love. My question is this: The salesman told me that if I ever go to buy a driver I should look for one with a 5.1 - 5.4 shaft, he showed me one on the rack with a little sticker on it that read 5.1. What does this number represent and how important is it to my choice of driver?

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I am sure it is the flex. What kind of shaft was it? What were your swing speed and launch angle?

OP
C

carolina x

Oct 9, 2005
My swing speed was 98-103 with a driver, I don't think they checked launch angle.

Are there "sub-flexes" within a given shaft flex? I usually hit a firm or stiff flex driver, is the 5.1 and even more accurate measurement of the flex?

Don

Aug 23, 2005
Rifle shafts are listed for flex by those numbers. 4.0, 4.5, 5.0. I would have to assume the 5.1 flex was a 5.0 shaft that measured a little stiff. I hope that helps you.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Don,
That is where I was going but with a swing of 98-103 he should be in a 5.5-6.0 rifle. That would be a stiff to medium stiff shaft for those that don't know the rifle flexes.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This number measures the torque of your iron shafts.

5.1 is where a graphite regular flex iron shaft would be. Steel shafts (like TT DG or Sensicore) would have low/less torque, more like 3.2.

Hope this helps.

R35

OP
C

carolina x

Oct 9, 2005
I have to go back and talk to that guy again, the sticker he showed me was on a graphite shaft in a driver.

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
Graphite bends alot more then steel and it is lighter, i would rather have a 5.1, but thats just me

🔥 Latest posts