• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shafts

Jdean6

Feb 8, 2013
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just wondering what the best shaft for me would be. I have a ball speed of around 170. I carry the ball over 280 but I have a high spin rate. I've got a regular stiff shaft in my driver at 9.5 degree. I got custom fitted and had a extra stiff shaft. Think it was pro force 65 but I just kept hitting it left. I think I need a quite stiff shaft with a lot of torque. I just want to get the most distance I can. I've got project x stiff steel 6.0 in my irons to. Don't no if anyone can help?

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
More information would be needed to make any kin of good recommendation. Launch angle, spin rate, and total spin would be a start. Also, swing characteristics such as tempo, how hard you release the club, and angle of attack would be basic info needed as well.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I think a Fujikura motore speedster would be a good shaft for you. Probably the tour stiff. You definitely need a stiff shaft and stiff tip kind of shaft. The pros seem to like Fujikura. They are about $300.

OP
J

Jdean6

Feb 8, 2013
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was getting a launch angle between 6-9. Spin rate was in the 30-34 thousands. I do like to hit hard. Angle of attack is quite shallow. Tend to hit a draw but then I get a wild cut

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
More information would be needed to make any kin of good recommendation. Launch angle, spin rate, and total spin would be a start. Also, swing characteristics such as tempo, how hard you release the club, and angle of attack would be basic info needed as well.
Tell me about that total spin#. When I hit at dicks the other day their monitor only had a reading for ball spin... it wasn't specific to backspin though. A couple times the # came up in the 9000's and I thought there is no way that can be a backspin # even with an active tip. I would have serious ballooning issues if that was the case and I really dont. The shaft I game now specs like this:

stiff 67g .350tip .600butt flex point mid-high 3.4 torque swing weight D4

That shaft with a Launcher DST Tour head produces a low-mid ballflight for me. My swing speed the other day ranged from 103 to 112.

I think their machine just sucked and they didn't know exactly how to set/use it right.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
What kind of carry and distance were u getting with your better swings?
Their machine was all over the place... one would say 214 carry and the next 274 carry when the swing and contact were not that dissimilar. Their system was whack, no launch angle or any of that so i'm taking it with a grain of salt. The real fitting will be coming in the near future.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Total spin factors in draw or fade spin, usually a draw tilt is reflected as a negative and a fade tilt is a positive. The total is the backspin plus fade spin or minus draw spin.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Wow, I don't typically hit a slice. If I lose one right it's usually a block with a small tail. Is it normal for total spin #'s to vary from upper 3k's to into the 9k's? Me thinks there was something not right there. Is 9k's even close to normal for total spin #'s?

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
No, that is not normal at all. Probably not the best machine for measuring the exact launch characteristics.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
No, that is not normal at all. Probably not the best machine for measuring the exact launch characteristics.
I was going to say... i'm not great, but my swing isn't that bad. I'll report back after getting a real fitting on a real machine with someone who knows something about golf fitting me.

🔥 Latest posts