• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shake up in Phoenix Munis.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Phoenix has 7 munis. A number of them have been running in the red. Phoenix has found a solution to keep the struggling courses going. Papago Golf Course (where they used to play the qualifier for the Phoenix Open) has been leased to Arizona State University. The deal is a 30 year lease for $200,000 a year until they build a new clubhouse then it drops to $100,000 a year. ASU will keep all revenue until they make a profit then they must pay Phoenix 10% of the profit on top of the lease. Grand Canyon University (a private Christian university) has leased Maryvale Golf Course. Same deal. except GCU is going to rebuild the entire course (8 mil budget). Plans are to reopen about November. I played Maryvale today. I wanted to play tomorrow, but there is a tournament going on and there are no openings.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Forest Hills Golf Course here in Augusta and where I used to be a member was sold to Augusta State University (now GRU) years ago. Built in 1929, designed by Donald Ross, Bobby Jones won the Southeastern Open there in 1930, as a warm up for his Grand Slam run.

With todays costs and TAXES. maybe only "non-profits" can be profitable?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Seeing more and more municipalities getting out of the golf course business. With the diminishing rounds of golf being played, they aren't breaking even. And, taxpayers are no longer agreeable to subsidizing golf courses. I really believe the "muni" is something that will be a thing of the past in the not too distant future. Some will work out lease agreements, as you mentioned above. Some will be sold off. Others will be dozed in and the land sold for development.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Seeing more and more municipalities getting out of the golf course business. With the diminishing rounds of golf being played, they aren't breaking even. And, taxpayers are no longer agreeable to subsidizing golf courses. I really believe the "muni" is something that will be a thing of the past in the not too distant future. Some will work out lease agreements, as you mentioned above. Some will be sold off. Others will be dozed in and the land sold for development.
In my home town (in AZ), most people bitch about "what a waste of water" the golf course is.

Members online

No members online now.