• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shanking

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i posted sometime ago about working out and golf, and how i couldn't get my swing together.

so i stopped working out for about a week, just to see if i can hit better, and i was hitting my irons decently.

i started working out again, and i started hitting really badly, mostly shaking all my irons and slicing my drives.

so, instead of not working out, i want to ingrain my swing w/ weights. however, i need to know what causes shanking (typical characteristics of shaking).

i do have on-plane/flat swing. i know if if you get too flat, it'll cause shanks, but what else?

thanks!

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I feel your pain.

For me it was taking the club too far to the inside on the backswing. The other issue is not getting enough wrist bend on back swing for myself. I need to make sure toe is up, shaft parallel to target line at hip high, with some wrist cock. Couple that with making sure my right palm remains parallel to the shaft at to start of the down swing does the trick for me.

All this was discovered by working with the "plane stick" golf aid.

Shanks can have many causes but hope this helps. If that is you in the avatar I'm confident you will solve this issue. Great position at the top.

Best of luck

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
I feel your pain.

For me it was taking the club too far to the inside on the backswing. The other issue is not getting enough wrist bend on back swing for myself. I need to make sure toe is up, shaft parallel to target line at hip high, with some wrist cock. Couple that with making sure my right palm remains parallel to the shaft at to start of the down swing does the trick for me.

All this was discovered by working with the "plane stick" golf aid.

Shanks can have many causes but hope this helps. If that is you in the avatar I'm confident you will solve this issue. Great position at the top.

Best of luck

thanks for the advice. i do believe i have nice swing. it's just that b/c i'm working out hard (i mean really working out), my upper body is getting way too active and coming over the top. i'm gonna try "body release" method this week and see if that works. if not, no more lifting weights.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Don't ever make me read this word again. Worst range session in long, long time. Ball marks all over my hosels.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Don't worry man

It's only one day! I had a s-word fest about a week ago. When I wasn't s-wording I was fading everything which is really frustrating considering I hit a natural draw usually.

I have been to the range 3 times since and I am back to hitting my normal ball flight.

From now on when I'm having one of those days I'm just going to pick up and leave. I don't learn anything on those days! When it has happened on the course however, I hit 5 iron punch shots until I can get my groove back. It's not pretty but it will save your score.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Don't ever make me read this word again. Worst range session in long, long time. Ball marks all over my hosels.

i never knew...
moderators, you can delete this thread if you like..

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
i never knew...
moderators, you can delete this thread if you like..

Screw that, this needs discussed!!!

This phenomena appeared in my game last fall and I haven't been able to rid myself of it. I'm working on the swing and the frequency is decreasing but, oh man, they do still creep in from time to time. The strangest part is that this NEVER happened prior to last fall. I think I've gotten stuck between my new swing and old swing where old bad habits are creeping into the new sound swing and thus the dreaded shank. My theory is that in the old bad swing, other compensators existed in order to avoid them but now I've corrected those flaws so that is leaving me with this last one before I can officially move into single digits.

I do feel your pain, Ez. There was a time last year when I thought of shopping for irons that had the most forgiving hozel... :(

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Keep looking at the ball hand eye co-ordination should mean that you atleast hit the ball with the right part of the club (no garuntees the ball will go the right way though)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thankfully I left mine at the range. By the time I got to the back 9 today I was firing irons at flagsticks. Seemed like I hit 8 iron 20times today and pured most of them. I need to leave the range alone and just chip and putt for practice, iron striking is fine.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.