• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaq to Suns

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
This is quit possibly the dumbest things the suns could have done. The Big Aristotle has lost more than a few steps and in no way will the $40M he's owed over the next 2 years be money well spent. The Matrix on the other hand is one of the most productive players in the game. Stupid, stupid move on the part of the Suns, however as a Lakers fan I do appreciate them handing the division over to the Lakers. If they keep the team they have for next year and stay healthy they should be the #1 team in the league.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Dumb move Suns. Isn't Shaq about ready to retire? He hasn't been the same for a couple of years and is always injured.... :)

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Horrible move by the Suns, Shaq is done! They wanna compete with the Lakers and Spurs in the west but I think the Suns time has past, they had their chance and blew it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The Suns were not getting through the playoffs with the old roster, why not change it up? He is not the Shaq of old, but he still can play the game. Besides, they did not bring Shaq in to be the "man" on the floor, they have a team loaded with stars already, Shaq will be more of a role player on the Suns.

More importantly, they brought Shaq in to be a clubhouse leader. Someone to improve the chemistry in the locker room and on the floor. Marion is a great player, but recently he has been a cancer in the clubhouse since the Suns would not sign him long term.

I like the deal. Kerr is trying to shake things up and build a team for the playoff run.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Again, not a big NBA fan, but don't the Suns play a Run-n-Gun type game? Seems if they want to make a run in the playoff, adding a player that you want to make a focal point of your offense, and that will require changing your entire gameplan and offensive scheme in mid season may make for a tough task.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Again, not a big NBA fan, but don't the Suns play a Run-n-Gun type game? Seems if they want to make a run in the playoff, adding a player that you want to make a focal point of your offense, and that will require changing your entire gameplan and offensive scheme in mid season may make for a tough task.

Thats just it, I do not think Shaq is going to be the focal point for the offense. Rebounds, blocks, and outlet passes setting up the run. Shaq will not be running the floor with the rest of the pack. Kind of like a change of pace back in the NFL, Shaq will only be seeing 20-30 mins a game.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb move.

Yes they needed a big guy, but Shaq wasn't the guy they needed. I'll eat my words when they win with him, but he doesn't fit the style of play, it's guna be extremely tough for them to do anything with a man who cant run or barely even play...

Tim, theyll lose a lot more offense off losing Marion then they will gain defense from Shaq.

jerome

Aug 25, 2006
This move makes no sense to me. The so called experts are saying they need a big guy to defend guys like duncan and gasol out west, well Shaq is not going to be able to keep with the quickness of those guys. He is in horrible shape and I see alot of foul trouble coming his way.

By trading away Marion I see their D getting worse since the only guy on that team that can really stop someone is Bell. Stoudemire and Nash are both horrible on that end of the court. They will probably get through the first round but they will not be going any further.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thats just it, I do not think Shaq is going to be the focal point for the offense. Rebounds, blocks, and outlet passes setting up the run. Shaq will not be running the floor with the rest of the pack. Kind of like a change of pace back in the NFL, Shaq will only be seeing 20-30 mins a game.
I guess that could be a viable option, but he would make for a rather expensive 3rd down back. In the same sense, if you are not trying to change your game plan, then 20-30 minutes may be a mild over estimate if he is just in to hold a lead and slow down the ball. I guess my thought is that if you are not paying that kind of money for a focal point in the offense, and trading away younger talent in the process, then maybe there are better options.

Or in your analogy, even though Marion Barber was a great running back and made the pro bowl as a backup, he didn't take Dallas to the promised land and will likely make them re-evaluate their offensive scheme for next year. They didn't get a ring, but still have to deal with the aggravation.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
He is in horrible shape and I see alot of foul trouble coming his way.
jerome

coming his way as in future tense? try present tense, im pretty sure he's having problems RIGHT NOW (and past too) with foul trouble.

again, BAD MOVE.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
There was an interview last night with Steve Kerr (Sun's GM) and after hearing that, it seemed to make sense..............also interview with Shaq, and he's fired up..............he says he hears all the talk about him, and he always responds as he did with Miami. I believe him. Barkely was hitting Kerr with all the things negative in this thread, and I think we'll see positive results from the trade. But just for this year.:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.