• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shark Week

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
These people that surf in Great White waters are wacko. Actually swimming in the ocean anywhere has always seemed rather unnecessary to me. You can't be a sitting with your back to the wall kind of guy when you have 100' of dark ocean under you. I also find the bull shark's ability to hang around in very shallow and even fresh water rather disturbing.

I'm watching these on DVR, and in one from yesterday, this always shouting Les Stroud guy keeps yelling about "unprovoked" shark attacks. "HERE IN FLORIDA, THERE ARE MORE UNPROVOKED SHARK ATTACKS THAN ANY PLACE IN THE WORLD."

Say what? If FL has the most unprovoked shark attacks, where do most provoked shark attacks take place? Are there places where people actually go into the ocean and taunt sharks?

"Come on, you stupid shark, you. You want a piece of me? You call those teeth? I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

Why piss 'em off? They're already hungry, why make 'em hungry and angry?

Kevin

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Hilarious observation. Reminds of me of those herpes medication commercials...

"70% of people contract herpes from a partner who shows no signs or symptoms..."

Which means 30% of people are mounting a clearly infected individual who has a visible outbreak. Who are these people?!

Ezra!!!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
When you live in a country like Australia, you kind of understand what all hat is about.

The ocean is a huge part of Australian life, and so are its dangers and problems. Surfers for example, are basically what people know about OZs, and there is where most "provoked" shark attacks take place.

It doesn't mean that someone goes into the water to be beaten, it means people know there are some areas which are infested by sharks and still they get into the water. Unprovoked attack means the chances were close to none to have a shark attack, provoked means there wasa warning or big chance and you decided to take the risk.

Stupid, I know, but in the Surfer's life it seems you are cooler or greater if you were able to ride these or those waves on a "difficult" course, a dangerous beach, etc, and there is when they get beaten.

II guess we re so used to Sharks, Jellyfish, BLue RIng Octopus and everything dangerous in the ocean we don't pay much more attention to them hehehehehe

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
This dude was including attacks on surfers as unprovoked. I have to shake my head at some these Australian surfers whose attacks they re-enact.

"Oh hell, for balance, I just put a rugby ball in my wet suit where my left buttock used to be, and I get right back out there. I'm not going to let a little thing like a missing butt cheek stop me from doing what I love to do."

Oh, man. I wouldn't even swim in Lake Michigan. Of course that's because of the sewage, but I did once catch a 47" musky and those teeth were pretty impressive, so a shark coming at me I can do without.

Kevin

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
If you swim in the ocean, you're near a shark. This week a 4 foot shark got caught in the tidal pools at North Myrtle where my sister/bil/nephews were playing. Earlier in the week they had seen shark fins in 1 foot of water where people were playing.

Yes, I know these sharks are tiny by comparison and NORMALLY are very docile, but the point remains. Swim in the ocean, you're near a shark.

I used to surf, all 4 of my kids surf, we all swim in the ocean, and I rarely give it a second thought.

Now, surfing in predatory big shark waters?? Yeah, those guys are nuts!

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
A shark???

I just jumped it....

0_.jpg
0_.jpg

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
When you live in a country like Australia, you kind of understand what all hat is about.

The ocean is a huge part of Australian life, and so are its dangers and problems. Surfers for example, are basically what people know about OZs, and there is where most "provoked" shark attacks take place.

It doesn't mean that someone goes into the water to be beaten, it means people know there are some areas which are infested by sharks and still they get into the water. Unprovoked attack means the chances were close to none to have a shark attack, provoked means there wasa warning or big chance and you decided to take the risk.

Stupid, I know, but in the Surfer's life it seems you are cooler or greater if you were able to ride these or those waves on a "difficult" course, a dangerous beach, etc, and there is when they get beaten.

II guess we re so used to Sharks, Jellyfish, BLue RIng Octopus and everything dangerous in the ocean we don't pay much more attention to them hehehehehe

So this definition of provoked vs unprovoked makes me ponder... at what point does the place with the most unprovoked attacks move over to the provoked category? I mean how many folks have to be attacked before people should start expecting it?

I've never been a fan of swimming/playing in the ocean.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
So this definition of provoked vs unprovoked makes me ponder... at what point does the place with the most unprovoked attacks move over to the provoked category? I mean how many folks have to be attacked before people should start expecting it?

I've never been a fan of swimming/playing in the ocean.

Well, in Sydney and the Gold Coast its usual to find the news in the paper or the radio for example, about beaches being warned of being "highly risky of attacks".

As well, most of the times when you get to the beach you will find signs warning you about specific things going on the beach (for example, in November Little Bay Beach, which is he place where the NSW Royal Golf Course is located was closed due to an extremely high risk encounter with Blue Ring Octopuses. Off course there are people stupid enough (the call themselves "brave enough") to sill go in the water...

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I love shark week, I will start off with that. Second, swimming with sharks isn't all that dangerous, it is when you swim in a manner that looks like their food. For instance as a scuba diver I have been on several "shark dives" it is not dangerous because of the situation we put our selves in. It is the idiots that swim on the surface in shark infested waters that get attacked. Just my $0.02

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I love shark week, I will start off with that. Second, swimming with sharks isn't all that dangerous, it is when you swim in a manner that looks like their food. For instance as a scuba diver I have been on several "shark dives" it is not dangerous because of the situation we put our selves in. It is the idiots that swim on the surface in shark infested waters that get attacked. Just my $0.02

Every Shark dive is dangerous, it just makes it "less dangerous" if you are careful or you swim with less "aggressive" species. Even if you take every possible precaution, swimming with White Sharks will end up tragically most often without a cage. If you dive with hammer-head sharks and they are mating (sept-oct. in the pacific), you would have not much trouble near the shore, but find one hammer-head looking for food in the outer ocean and you would surely get bitten at least.

There are about 1,280 shark pieces, and only about 10 have a chance of attacking human beings, but you have to be careful even with a cat-shark, caue you never know when things might get out of control.

I've dived with blue sharks, hammer-heads, white tip, grey nurse, gobbits, without any problem but I've been scared every time though. Had one encounter with a bull shark passing by in a dive which I still have nightmares about :D;

Anyway, sharks are not to be underrated, nor being easy about. Being over-precautions about them will never ever be too much, and might ave you a really uneasy time...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004

Several years back there was a lady killed by a Great White off the coast of Monterey. Any death is tragic and dying via shark attack is just something I care to not think about but what I had me shaking my head was the story in the paper. This lady was killed while swimming with sea lions, like she loved to do almost every morning... are you kidding me?! I would classify this one as "provoked". Seriously, swimming amongst a primary food source? I just don't get it.

Sharks just give me the heeby geebies.
:shark:

I can't believe this smiley hadn't been used yet!

🔥 Latest posts