• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sharpening Grooves

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Someone take a dremel to a wedge head and post up the pics of the aftermath please!!!
I'm giving it serious thought but I've made a little progress with the sharpener. They aren't as deep as the normal grooves but at least it isn't smooth. If it doesn't work at least the Jaws wedges were cheap.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I'm giving it serious thought but I've made a little progress with the sharpener. They aren't as deep as the normal grooves but at least it isn't smooth. If it doesn't work at least the Jaws wedges were cheap.
My tool has two shapes, a v groove and a square shape. The v would cut a nice start line and the you could square it up

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
If we heated with that in VT we'd either burn the house down or have an astronomical bill. Neither is a good solution.
My grandma has one. She has a gas furnace with central heat too but she had this put in so she wouldn't have to heat the whole house as warm as she likes it in her living room. It's surprisingly effective(if you stepped foot in her living room, you wouldn't argue, lol) and it has lowered her heating costs. It's not unlike a gas log really...other than it's ugly as hell.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Machinist hat: ON

Yeah an end mill bit thats wide enough would be the thing.
A groove is about 1/32" wide. Now, they do make end mills that small but they are more brittle than a toothpick. And that's when they're chucked into an actual high-precision milling machine. You could try it, but I guarantee one of two things: you'll constantly break the bit, or you'll constantly break the bit.

The only way I'd ever try to re-cut grooves, is if I had a vertical mill with an arbor saw and some kind of special chuck built just for golf clubs. You'd have to index the face of the club in with a dial indicator first, so that one side of the groove isn't deeper than the other.

Something like this:

regrove.jpg

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I think golfsmith used to sell a groove sharpening bit for a dremel tool. It came in v and square groove. Maybe check into that.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Machinist hat: ON

A groove is about 1/32" wide. Now, they do make end mills that small but they are more brittle than a toothpick. And that's when they're chucked into an actual high-precision milling machine. You could try it, but I guarantee one of two things: you'll constantly break the bit, or you'll constantly break the bit.

The only way I'd ever try to re-cut grooves, is if I had a vertical mill with an arbor saw and some kind of special chuck built just for golf clubs. You'd have to index the face of the club in with a dial indicator first, so that one side of the groove isn't deeper than the other.

I don't think one side being deeper than the other would make a difference in this case...but I know how you machinists are.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Well how about a router bit? I cant believe they dont make a bearing bit like those flush cut bits that does a little groove.

I ran around with a mic in my shop. The cleveland irons were the biggest grooves, .02". I saw as small as .016"

Hats off to the machinist! Guess how wide .02" is?

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Well how about a router bit? I cant believe they dont make a bearing bit like those flush cut bits that does a little groove.

I ran around with a mic in my shop. The cleveland irons were the biggest grooves, .02". I saw as small as .016"

Hats off to the machinist! Guess how wide .02" is?
Just a hair under .021"

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Well....1/2 is .5, 1/4 is .25, 1/8 is .125, 1/16 is .0625, 1/32 is .03125, 1/64 is .015625

So somewhere between a 32nd and a 64th...

EDIT: I knew through 1/16 in my head...I gave up and used a calculator on the other two...dividing decimals isn't my thing.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
1/50th exactly...

EDIT: I'm very sad how long that eluded me...apparently i need to brush up on my math skillz...

FYI - .1 = 1/10, .2 = 2/10 or 1/5....extrapolate that .02 = 2/100 or 1/50

one two three four fif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.