• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sharply Cut Bunker Lips

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I hate 'em. Played my home course from the tips yesterday. This year they cut the edges of a bunch of bunkers kind of sharp, 7" or 8" from lip to sand. I hit three bunkers yesterday. Two fairway, one green side. Too close to the lip in all three. Two shots to get out of two of them, the other hit the lip and ended up going backwards.

The result. Two doubles and a triple. Completely ruined the day. Shot 84. This is not the first time these new sharply cut lips have screwed me over this year. I made a nine on a par 5 about a month ago after hitting a fairway bunker close to the lip and then ended up in the green side bunker next to the lip.

Sharply cut bunker lips suck. You can't follow through worth a damn.

Kevin

ShotTalk Cheeseheads on parade. 9/27. Silver Spring. Noonish.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It's still better then some of our muni courses where the lips "overhang" over the sand and a ball can get underneath them. An impossible shot.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
It's still better then some of our muni courses where the lips "overhang" over the sand and a ball can get underneath them. An impossible shot.

That's why they call it a hazard. :biglol:

In reality I sympathize with the issue on fairway bunkers. IMO, the player should have a reasonable opportunity at escaping in the general direction of the hole. That is my biggest issue with the pot bunkers on a course like St. Andrews. It's just the luck of the draw whether you have a shot forward, sideways, or backwards. Bunkers cause enough problems without adding that sort of insult. IMO, a fairway bunker should be about a 1/2 shot penalty on average, not a 2 stroke swing.

With greenside bunkers all bets are off.... you take what the golf gods dish out and learn to play all the shots.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I like the recessed lip thingie on the green side bunkers, so you really need to have a good shot to get the ball up high, but on the fairway it should be an even transition.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Play a course with massive pot bunkers week in week out, so i'm used to it. What I hate is really flat bunkers with no lip.... Should be easy, but can't seem to play them properly...

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Play a course with massive pot bunkers week in week out, so i'm used to it. What I hate is really flat bunkers with no lip.... Should be easy, but can't seem to play them properly...

Next time try a putter. If you have a good lie, no lip on the bunker and the sand is not extra fluffy a putter will not only get you out every time, but with a little practice you can probably be more accurate than a wedge. No chunks left in the bunker, no skulls across the green.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.