• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shhhh - I actually ho'd

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've been using my Titleist DCI Gold irons for 14 years.

Last week I spent some time at a demo day hitting some other irons...I really liked the TM r7 irons...

So I got on the internet (with no intention of buying) and started looking around. They run about $700-$800 a set...

BUTTT...

The TM r7 XD's are being discontinued. They were only out for about two years (typical of TaylorMade!!) and there are great deals on entire sets now.

Well you know the rest of the story. Before I knew it, I'd had a couple of drinks and was on ebay and well...................

I got a brand new set coming in later this week (if the guy will just ship them). Paid $400 plus shipping for 3-PW.

I have already compared the lofts to my Titty's and they are much, much lower....so I am going to hit the ball a lot farther and have a large gap between the PW and my Cleveland 54. The Titty PW was 48 and the TaylorMade is going to be 45, so I am going to have to find something in this gap...probably order an 'Attack Wedge" to match the set.

I think these are going to work great for me...the reviews are great and I liked the way they felt. And the price is right as I am on a tough budget now.

shhhhh......

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
wellll....uhhh.

I don't use a 3 iron...haven't in years.

Their only set is 3-PW...I wanted 4-PW.

Their price is $699 and I paid $400 plus shipping.

I just couldn't afford to pay $300 more. I think the guy I bought mine from bought a huge lot and is selling them all for $400. He's got a ton listed on his eBay store...he is a liquidator.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Welcome to Ho'dom. Now you need a 49* or 50* wedge.:D Be very careful, Bravo, your walking a slippery slope. You may turn into one of us.:laugh:

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Welcome to Ho'dom. Now you need a 49* or 50* wedge.:D Be very careful, Bravo, your walking a slippery slope. You may turn into one of us.:laugh:

Yeaahhh!! This is like The Shining with Jack Nicholson hacking through the door....

(uuuhhhh - what exactly do you suggest in the 49-50* line of wedges....:laugh: after all - I'm in the market...)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Way to go B... it was about time. You and I fell off the wagon together ;)

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I have already compared the lofts to my Titty's and they are much, much lower....so I am going to hit the ball a lot farther and have a large gap between the PW and my Cleveland 54. The Titty PW was 48 and the TaylorMade is going to be 45, so I am going to have to find something in this gap...probably order an 'Attack Wedge" to match the set.

You don't need a Ga/Attack wedge, you need a Pitching Wedge!! :laugh:

I don't think you can count year two if they were already being discounted like crazy!

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I don't think you can count year two if they were already being discounted like crazy!

Hehehe...that's a great one Chmmey....

I guess I am just a Tightwad at heart - always looking for a deal.

Give me supermarket coupons and I am a happy camper....:laugh:

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Hehehe...that's a great one Chmmey....

I guess I am just a Tightwad at heart - always looking for a deal.

Give me supermarket coupons and I am a happy camper....:laugh:

With the exception of golf clubs, I'm a complete tightwad!

TM gets a bad rap with how quickly they cycle through designs but the up side is that, with a little patience, you can pick up great clubs (like yours) for a really good price. I mean, a TM club a year or so after release totally negates the price argument of buying knock-offs.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
With the exception of golf clubs, I'm a complete tightwad!

TM gets a bad rap with how quickly they cycle through designs but the up side is that, with a little patience, you can pick up great clubs (like yours) for a really good price. I mean, a TM club a year or so after release totally negates the price argument of buying knock-offs.

I agree...I bought my r7 425 Quad driver about a year after they first came out. Put in a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue shaft and a Winn wrap grip. Total investment including tax: $295 for a damn good club.

I read one golf blog that actually said that the r7 XD's were more expensive for TaylorMade to make because it has a two-piece head...the face is inserted into the club frame. The replacement iron, simply called the r7 has one piece construction and is cheaper to make, therefore TaylorMade has a higher margin in the newer club....

No matter to me anyway. I replaced a set of 14 year old irons with new, highly rated technology for $400...I think I am going to love these dudes.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The only problem you're going to have is the loft issue but that shouldn't be too bad. I went the other direction in lofts with my recent ho though and it completely screwed me up. I was trying to hit the 8-iron the same distance as my old 8-iron and when it came up short (as it should have with a stiffer shaft and 2* less loft) I just swung harder. By the time I saw the error in my ways it was too late.

The irons have been passed on to a new owner but unfortunately I still have all my old swing flaws that they brought back. :real angry:

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The only problem you're going to have is the loft issue but that shouldn't be too bad. I went the other direction in lofts with my recent ho though and it completely screwed me up. I was trying to hit the 8-iron the same distance as my old 8-iron and when it came up short (as it should have with a stiffer shaft and 2* less loft) I just swung harder. By the time I saw the error in my ways it was too late.

The irons have been passed on to a new owner but unfortunately I still have all my old swing flaws that they brought back. :real angry:

Yeah I researched the loft issue club-by-club before I went ahead with it. Additionally, reviews by owners of these clubs consistently mentioned 'using 1-2' less club for a given distance'. So my biggest issue is going to be learning how not to bomb the ball over the green on the fly. That's why I said I think it's going to take about six weeks to get them dialed in. 14 years is a long time with one set...at 40 rounds per year that's over 500 rounds.

The box arrived a few minutes ago. I can tell that the seller is a liquidator because its an unopened box that the clubs were shipped from TaylorMade. He's got quite a few more sets on his site (selling a lot of TM RAC's too).

Little ole Bravo pickin' up some unused inventory on the cheap....

I'm gonna hit the range right after work....

🔥 Latest posts