• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Short Chips around the green. What do u use

Justice76

Jun 11, 2005
Well just as the title says trying to get an idea what people like to use for those chips around the green from 20 yards to 10 feet or so.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
20 yards really is a pitch,that would be a wedge,usually the 53 or 56

around the green 7 and 9 iron 99% of the time.The main aim is to get the ball rolling quickly

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
for me, it really depends what's between me and the putting surface. If there's a lot of rough but not a lot of green, I'll go for a higher lofted club like a 58/60 to clear the rough and then get the roll going, whereas if there's less shit in front of the green, I'll do like dave says and go with the 9 iron, although my 4H is a favourite for long, rolling chips - I basically putt it with my hybrid. I haven't practiced this a lot, so I'm not great at it, but generally speaking, I think I do alright with it, considering.

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
If you have a blade putter and are in the rough try the toe shot where you turn the putter grip counter clockwise in your hands and and punch it out with the toe of the putter blade. My Rossa has a nice square edge and Ive gotten quite good at it. Ii makes it roll better than a wedge in some cases. I only use this for special situations where the pin is very close with little green to work with. Not a bad shot to have though!

I try to use whatever club will carry me to the fringe and roll all the way to the hole. So if Im 4ft off the green and the pin is another 30 feet beyond the fringe I would probably use a 8-iron and try to make it land just past the fringe and let it roll the whole way to the hole. And for shorter pitches where the pin is closer I would use more loft like a SW or PW loft and make the same swing.

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Yep, get the ball rolling! Whatever club allows you to land the ball a couple feet onto the green (I used to try for just carrying the fringe but too often left it short, I give myself a couple feet now.) and roll it to the pin.

P-102

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
8-iron unless I am in heavy rough or there is a major slope issue.

🔥 Latest posts