• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shortened driver shafts

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Okay, I've been struggling with a slice on and off all summer. I can't get through. It's not the grip (got that textbook now), it's not the swing path, it's not overswinging, it's not gripping too tight, it's just not releasing the club .... :(

So I have been reading about everybody cutting down their drivers and reread Wishon's book.

I jumped in the car and headed to the driving range to "test this out". To simulate the shorter club I "choked down" on the grip 1" (45-3/4" Ping G10 would now be 44-3/4"?). Good grief, I was now "almost" (fade) straight and easily just as long.

My question is do you HAVE to cut the club shorter or can you just choke down (Anthony Kimish) to accomplish the same thing? It appears to work.

Next part is I have noticed arthritus in my hands this summer. I can't close them all the way. At the top of my backswing I "lose" the grip sometimes. I'm going to go to mid-size grips on all my clubs and even try the reverse taper "Feel" grip on my driver. I've ordered oversize and reverse taper for my driver to see what happens. I believe I'm almost there.

Getting old sucks! :unhappy:

Does all this make sense and don't tell me to get lessons? I've worked my ass off on my swing and it's probably never been better. Even though that isn't saying much.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
WBL, you're currently using oversized grips?

talk about timing. Yesterday, I went to the range to hit a bucket of balls. I had recently regripped my driver with a WINN oversized grip just to try it out. Conclusion, will be regripping back to the normal mid sized grips that I normally use.

At the top of my backswing, my right hand would come loose (right handed golfer). Just could not get a good grip on it. Last night, after the range session, I noticed that my right hand was killing me (top of the hand) to the point where I couldn't make a fist.

I ended up cutting my driver down to 44.50. It has made a world of difference. For some reason, I have a hard time choking down on the club, just don't like to do it, yes, I am weird.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I don't see why you would have to cut it... I would think just chocking down on it would work fine.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Hey "J", the over-sized grip is probably going to make the slice worse. I was using mid-sized grips, went down to standard and it helped.

And to me, chocking down doesn't allow me to release the clubhead as well. Cut the shaft down in 1/2 inch increments. If you don't like it, you can always put an extension back in it.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The butt of the grip is the thickest part of it. If you're thinking your grips might be too thin, choking down is salting the wound.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Now that my driver has been shortened my TEE ironwood feels WAY too long and i haven't had time to cut it down so i have just been choking up on it and it seems to work for me. Has also kept me from hooking it like i used to do using it at full length....almost dead straight now when before it was pretty much impossible for me to hit anything but a draw that was bordering on hook with it.

I would say cutting it down would be the best bet, but choking up would work as well.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I got my used S59 Pings they had mid-sized grips on them and I hit them pretty good but the grips were worn and I put on Sharpro decade take offs regular size. I didn't seem to notice too much difference but definitely hit them better with the mid-size.

On the driver I had been using the stock Ping grip.

I've never used over-sized grips.

Choking down (regular Ping grip) helped the problem yesterday. Frequent slice went to frequent fade. Rest of the time was straight.

The driver now has a "Feel" reverse taper grip on it. I'll be choking down on it 1" at the range tomorrow to try it out. I've got a mid-sized GP Decade ready to go on if it sucks. It feels pretty good to me without swinging it though.

Wish me luck.... :prop:

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
The only problem with choking down is haveing the disaplin to keep doing it even when your hitting the driver great. Temptation is to creep back up the grip to try and get a few more yards out of it.

Re the arthritus have you tried a Bionic glove? I know a few fellas who use them and really like them. They are good quality and seem to last quite well. Cheaper than regripping everything. Brand New Mens Bionic Golf Glove available in All Sizes on eBay (end time 23-Sep-09 16:48:33 BST)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
MG, thanks for the ideas but I'm going to have the arthritus forever so regripping (after I find what works best) is what I'll do instead of the glove.

Believe me, if choking down on the grip works I won't be tempted to slip back. I might eventually get the clubs (driver, 3-wood, hybrids) cut down then also but the swing weight change bothers me. I've heard some say SW doesn't mean much anyway. Just would hate to have lead tape stuck all over my pretty clubs, LOL.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I have been hitting a 44" driver, 43" 3wood and 42" 5 wood for several years now. Best thing I ever did. There is no loss of distance because the contact is so much better. I can still knock them on out there pretty good in real, non-internet-enhanced yards. I hit several drives in the 275 range over the weekend.

I am going to be 47 on the 23rd of this month so I ain't old but, I ain't young either.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.