• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shortened Driver? Sold.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Ive always played 44.5"-45.5" drivers with good success. Generally hit 10-12 fairways and my misses are slight blocks that end up 5-10 yards off the fairway. Decided to chop my rapture down to 43.75". Amazing. Hit 13/14 today, and my miss was a overshot the landing area and hit into the bottleneck. Actually gained distance, I generally hit the sweet spot (I hover around 1-+1 handicap) But there was just something confidence inspiring about having such a short shaft. I was able to go after them a little bit harder with no negative thoughts. VERY happy with this move.

13/14 fairways
16/18 GIRS
30 putts
68 (-4)

:smilie_pi

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Just curious Crossfire, what do you play your 3w at right now?

I ask because I was thinking of shortening my 4w a bit, as it has been causing a few issues lately for the first time. Mainly in being the first time I have had issues with getting the ball in the air how I would expect, with any club I have owned.

Already play my driver at 44" for a long time and love it, the 4w is currently at 42.5". Good with a similar 7w and was thinking the length is the key to the issue, and am not sure I would not actually gain distance in getting the club in the air.

Torn between shortening it or going with Reg flex shaft, but because I sometimes have an aggressive swing with my FW's, that concerned me. Am also hesitant to go away from the Aldilas, as while that may help, it is not an issue with my 7w or driver.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm chopping my 3 wood down tonight...Hrmm... Or i'll put my whiteboard in it, and replace the Motore F1..

In any case.. I've chopped my driver down.. Playing 44.5, from over 45.5.. My 3 wood is 43" right now, I'm gonna try it at 42.5...

Makes a huge difference.. Infact.. Instead of losing distance.. I went from a S flex, to a X flex, with a 103 SS, shortened the driver up, and I'm hitting them farther, and with more control.

So.. like Pa... What is the gap distance shaft wise between your 3wood and driver, for curiosity sake.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
BTW, Fat, while I am more interested in real life experience as you are, and out of curiousity, and the effect it had. I thought I would mention, just for another point of reference, that Wishon's book indicates the 3w should be at 1.5" shorter than the driver, 2" if you have trouble getting it airborne. Then 1" increments from there on a 5w and 7w.

Thought it may be helpful, but myself, while books are great, I am more interested in real life experience before making the move.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Just picked up a Rapture V2 with stock BB which plays to stock length at 45.75. Thinking about chopping it down to 44.50 but just scared because I've had it for only a day or so. :D

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
Doesn't chopping the shaft down make the grip thinner?? I've always wondered how well a grip would fit on a chopped down shaft. Do you have to wrap more tape on it.........

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
I play my 3 wood at 42". I almost never hit it off the tee, if the hole requires a straight drive, I hit it ;) . As far as distance gap goes, I average 280-290 with driver, and 250 with 3-wood (Off the deck). I play my irons .5" short as i am on the short side (5'10) So ive always played somewhat shorter clubs. Hope this helps.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
As for gamecock-

Ive never butt trimmed anything but this, and I always double to triple wrap (wedges) my clubs. I went ahead and had this triple wrapped just incase. I dont do this because of feel, but as my miss is usually left. A thicker grip makes it harder to turn the club over.

Let me fix that* My misses with irons are left, driver is a push.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Doesn't chopping the shaft down make the grip thinner?? I've always wondered how well a grip would fit on a chopped down shaft. Do you have to wrap more tape on it.........

You don't cut off enough to get near the tapered section.. It's still the same size.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm gonna take the .5" off the 3wood. I'm around 6 foot, and play standard length irons, 1* upright.

I'm not so concerned with an exact measurement from the driver to 3-wood, I just want what works.. I just was curious.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I play my 3 wood at 42". I almost never hit it off the tee, if the hole requires a straight drive, I hit it ;) . As far as distance gap goes, I average 280-290 with driver, and 250 with 3-wood (Off the deck). I play my irons .5" short as i am on the short side (5'10) So ive always played somewhat shorter clubs. Hope this helps.
Thanks alot!!!

Looks like I will be soon taking my 4w to 42", which was my initial though. May even consider 41.75". May have to talk to my clubmaker about what he can do for the flex on trimming the tip. Have always just done my own as Aldila just indicates to butt trim the driver, but Tip the FW's a certain amount.

Even though I am 6'1" and my Wrist to Floor indicates a 44" on my driver, which means my 4w is likely not to far off, it just makes sense the way I hit it. Even if I were to lose 5 yards on my optimum shot, it would still likely be longer 80% of the time on how I currently hit it. My 7w has been gold, and part of the reason I am considering this, because I usually opt for my 7w many times on the fairway now. Just because of the low trajectory on my 4w.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Yeah, when I re-shafted my hybrid, I just butt trimmed, and left the tip alone. It was an X-flex, which was a bit much for what I wanted.. Think it plays a wee-bit softer.

If your FW is fine, or was a prior installed staft, you might just want to butt trim and leave the tip alone.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I've been playing mine at 43.75" for several months now.

Love it! so easy to control, and hit pure. No loss in distance. In fact, my average distance has gone up due to hitting the ball pure more often, as well as the roll-out i'm getting due to hitting more fairways.

I play my 3w at 41.75", and my 7w at 40" , and i'm hitting my clubs the best i ever have.

🔥 Latest posts