• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shortened Driver?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
MG, before you just have it chopped, talk to a good clubfitter - you'll likely need to add weight to the head to get it back to the same swingweight/MOI which can soften the flex of the shaft - if it's already a good fit, some tip trimming might be in order to keep it's overall flex consistent

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
MG, before you just have it chopped, talk to a good clubfitter - you'll likely need to add weight to the head to get it back to the same swingweight/MOI which can soften the flex of the shaft - if it's already a good fit, some tip trimming might be in order to keep it's overall flex consistent

Would/does removing half inch of graphite cause that much of a problem? Can't weigh too much? As for club fitters we don't really have any over here. The 2 big chains (American golf & Direct golf) don't even fit a grip for you, unless you get lucky!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Would/does removing half inch of graphite cause that much of a problem? Can't weigh too much? As for club fitters we don't really have any over here. The 2 big chains (American golf & Direct golf) don't even fit a grip for you, unless you get lucky!

reducing length by 1/2" reduces the swingweight by 3 points. To get the swingweight back to where it was, you'd need to add 6 grams of weight to the head.
Adding 6 grams to the head will soften the flex of the shaft approx 1/2 flex (I think)
If the shaft felt a little stiff to you, this could be perfect. If it was just right, removing the shaft and trimming a bit off the tip could help.
The tip is the most flexible part of the shaft, so if you trim the tip, the shaft gets stiffer - this, combined with the added weight, puts you right back where you started. There's no right or wrong for how stiff that shaft should be, unless you thought it was perfect for you as it was - in which case, you might want to keep it were it was from a flex perspective.

The tricky part is knowing how much tip trimming is necessary for that particular shaft - in some cases, you can check the shaft maker's website and get trimming info. If you were adding so much weight to a driver, that it had a similar weight as a 3 wood, the shaft maker would probably give you trimming instructions for a 3 wood that you could follow - if you're adding less weight than that (which I think is the case here) I think you really need someone knowledgeable enough to tell you how much has to come off the tip (I'm not that guy - Indacup/Lyle and a handful of others are probably the way to go here)

good luck

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
reducing length by 1/2" reduces the swingweight by 3 points. To get the swingweight back to where it was, you'd need to add 6 grams of weight to the head.
Adding 6 grams to the head will soften the flex of the shaft approx 1/2 flex (I think)
If the shaft felt a little stiff to you, this could be perfect. If it was just right, removing the shaft and trimming a bit off the tip could help.
The tip is the most flexible part of the shaft, so if you trim the tip, the shaft gets stiffer - this, combined with the added weight, puts you right back where you started. There's no right or wrong for how stiff that shaft should be, unless you thought it was perfect for you as it was - in which case, you might want to keep it were it was from a flex perspective.

The tricky part is knowing how much tip trimming is necessary for that particular shaft - in some cases, you can check the shaft maker's website and get trimming info. If you were adding so much weight to a driver, that it had a similar weight as a 3 wood, the shaft maker would probably give you trimming instructions for a 3 wood that you could follow - if you're adding less weight than that (which I think is the case here) I think you really need someone knowledgeable enough to tell you how much has to come off the tip (I'm not that guy - Indacup/Lyle and a handful of others are probably the way to go here)

good luck

thanks for the advice I will hold fire for now.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Er, thats the theory, but the reality is I couldn't feel any difference in flex and the swingweight drop was so neglible I couldn't feel it. I went as high as 7 strips, thats 7 swingweight points before my transition chnaged and effected flight.

The benefits of greater control from a shorter shaft far outweight any real or percieved changes in flex and swingweight, and the changes are so small a bit of lead tape can be appied to taste. Trust me, once you have sampled the control you get from a shaft that has been measured for you, you will not return to a long driver.

I smacked a mates Burner TP today and it felt like a ping pong ball on the end of a rope.

As I said earlier, I have some tape on, but its there to make me feel better. I know the swingweight has dropped and the shaft stiffened, marginally I know but it has, all the same, so the tape is there just as a comfort blanky.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I agree Dave - I think shorter is better - MG, you can probably just chop it. And, if by some chance your on-center hit % drops or you don't like the feel, try adding some weight to the head to get the swingweight back up to where it was. If you do this, and the shaft is feeling too soft, extend the shaft and go back to how you had it.

it seems trial and error or a good experienced fitter are both options

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If you want to increase center hits, spine the shaft. I'm a believer. This will do more than shortening the shaft.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I am generally too scientific about everything I do in golf. So I decided to try something different with my driver. I cut it to 44.25" and went to the range with a roll of lead tape in one hand and my driver in the other. I added, removed, and repositioned tape until my driver "felt right" and produced my most consistent shots. Months later I had it checked and it turns out that it playes between a D-2 and D-3 swingweight and a S- stiffness. Which, ironically, is exactly where I like my clubs to play. I now consider my driving the strongest point of my game. Not the longest, but most reliable. Also, my driving distance averages have risen - which I think can be attributed to gained confidence if nothing else. Point in case - there are many "immesurables" in golf and sometimes if it feels right - it is right.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
If you want to increase center hits, spine the shaft. I'm a believer. This will do more than shortening the shaft.

I'm a believer, but your statement is hard to quantify, and in reality the vast majority if not 99% of golfers will be more accurate with a shorter driver

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Trial & error it is then.

I'm gonna go for half an inch. I was thinking about an inch but that might be a little drastic.

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Let's do the math on swing speed. I am 6'2" tall. If I play a 45" driver, the radius of my swing is probably about 70". I have a 90 mph head speed with that club. If I cut the driver to 44", my radius is 69" which gives an 89 mph swing speed. Using a smash factor or 1.4 and looking at the distance dashboard at Sonic Boom Golf, this is about 3 yards.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Let's do the math on swing speed. I am 6'2" tall. If I play a 45" driver, the radius of my swing is probably about 70". I have a 90 mph head speed with that club. If I cut the driver to 44", my radius is 69" which gives an 89 mph swing speed. Using a smash factor or 1.4 and looking at the distance dashboard at Sonic Boom Golf, this is about 3 yards.

It's always good to see numbers - 3 yards I can get my head around

I couldn't figure out how to make that link work, but what's the net distance change between a smash factor of 1.4 at 90mph and a smash factor of 1.45 or 1.5 at 89mph - we're talking about shortening the shaft to make more consistent/efficient center-face contact - I think most people pick up yards or break even with a shorter shaft and hit the ball a bit straighter

even without an increased smash-factor, I'd rather hit a 7 iron from 150 in the fairway than an 7 iron from the rough at 147.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States

I'm a believer, but your statement is hard to quantify, and in reality the vast majority if not 99% of golfers will be more accurate with a shorter driver
Imagine the results you would have if you did both?? Probably a big reason I am tossing around the idea of getting a shaft puller and a spine tool this winter.

Also to some of the comments made earlier about keeping a longer shaft to keep the distance. I am fond of the comments regarding that if Tiger cut his shaft down to 43.5" because he couldn't hit a 46" and maintain control, what makes you think you can. That was enough for me.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
My driver is 43.5 inches long now and will stay this way for good. I am done experimenting. This length gives me the most consistency with distance equal to longer lengths.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online