• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shot a 5 under yesterday

295yards

May 5, 2009
I am not anywhere near this level and do not expect to return at all ever.I never believed i'd ever break a par round and honestly don't think i ever will again, I just went out and played fantastically solid. It was kind of hilarious actually. I could not hit anything on the range, I mean anything. I gave up and went over to chip and putt some and that wasn't even that good. My lag putting was awesome, but I was not sinking the short ones.
Got on the first tee and poked a drive out there to leave me with 80yards left on a 425yard par 4 (severlely elevated, slight dogleg...) stuck that tight and just lipped out the bird.
I could go on hole by hole but my quick summary would be I was killing driver off the front nine 100% pure, back nine I was hitting the best mis hits ever. 11 fairways hit out of 14 but somehow only 10 greens. Never hit one par 3 in reg, and saved par 3 out of 4 times to go one over on the par 3's. ( 173, 198, 199, and 174 )
Three under on the par 4's ( three birds and 7 pars ) and three under on the par 5's ( two tap in eagles that on both I was debating laying up and one very stupid bogey; the rest par's )
So:
3 bidies
2 eagles
11 pars
2 bogeys
11 fairways
10 greens
26putts ( never been under 30; this was actually a weird feeling )
3 sand saves ( I'm a seasoned vet. at the beach without the badges )
7 scrambles
I am only modestly decent and am not disappointed or surprised to shoot mid 80's. I rarely ever go under 80 actually and have had a few rounds in the 90's this year. My ballstriking was awesome but if it failed I was saving par relatively easily, I was so confident.
I was pumped writing each score down and after being 3 under on the front with one bogey I was obsessed with where I was all the time, every shot. I was even thinking,,,"stop thinking your going to fold man" but I held up on the back with one birdie, one eagle and 6 pars and did not fold 'till the 18th where I could not commit to what club to hit from the elevated par 3. I still hit it solid somehow but could not save par.
My new driver shaft performed well for the first time out with out of 14 drives my average was 295yards and my longest was 339yards with 11 fairways hit, and the fairways were really tight!!! Keep in mind that most this course was elevated. I killed one uphill to roll out to 260 yards for my shortest drive.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Congrats!!!!

Whether you ever do it again or not, thats a awesome score. :thumbs up:

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
Thanks guys.
I'm telling you i'm happy if I break 80, I honestly have no idea how this happened, it was really weird especially since I just reshafted my driver and could not hit it at the range beforehand. It was actually hurting the rest of my swings too. But when I got out here and started off the first two holes with narrowly missed birdies and finally a bird on #4 I felt like I was just playing golf.
I was stepping up to the tee looking out at the course and evaluating my shots...can I hit driver, where to aim, where can it go safely if I miss it, and than agian on my approach. On two of the par 5's I was going to lay up because I had a huge haul to the hole with 240 and 260 on the other, somehow I went for it and had a kick in left on the both of them.
I've had days of solid ballstriking like this before but never coupled with feeling like I could actually have a short game too.
On 3 holes I had 20 feet left for par and drained them all.
Even the beer girl was real cute and I managed to not only not drink even one but to stayed away from the cart all together, you know when you don't want anything to drink but you'll still go over to the cart with your friend? I didn't want to change anything what was happening!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
enjoy it, man.

I see the golf gods being unmerciful for awhile after this one....:laugh:

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Congrats! Something like that happened to me a year and a half ago or so too. I was like you, high 70's shooter or so. Not dissapointed with a 82 or so. One day everything clicked, shot 66. Since then ive been more confident, and rarely shoot over 75. And Ive bettered that twice (65,64) once each. Hopefully you get the same kind of epiphany! You dont go -5 on pure luck, period. You must have game, hopefully your subconcious realizes it now!

Again, great shooting!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Nice work. Like you, I can go low if (notice the 'if') solid ballstriking (usually) is combined with solid shortgame (rarely). If I can get off the tee as well, lookout.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Nice work. Like you, I can go low if (notice the 'if') solid ballstriking (usually) is combined with solid shortgame (rarely). If I can get off the tee as well, lookout.

You don't say! If you can hit it well off the tee, and hit your irons well, and have a good short game, you shoot a good score?!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
You don't say! If you can hit it well off the tee, and hit your irons well, and have a good short game, you shoot a good score?!

Have a bad day, zach? lol Unfortunately I wouldn't know, as there is a direct and opposite connection between my driver and wedges.

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009

I kid you not, when I say breaking 80 is always a good day at the course. I can hit the ball respively long, but with that comes days where you cannot hit the ball straight enough. Typically if I do hit the ball solid and feel like I can pick my targets like crazy, I'll only just break into the 70's.
I have no idea how I went out and shot a 67.

🔥 Latest posts