• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shot a nett 69 and didn't even finish in the top 10!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Ha! I just shot my best round of the season so far, a 74 at the weekend. I actually thought I may have a chance of picking up a "dust gatherer", only to find out that the scoring went ballistic on Saturday.

A young dude shot a 69, -3 playing off a 5 h/c for a nett 64 AND HE DIDN'T EVEN WIN!! Some old dude breezed round in level par playing off a 9 h/c for a nett 63!! That's 45 points!!

It was a lovely day, light breeze, the championship tees were not as far back as normal and most of the pins were generous, but my goodness, the scoring went a bit mental. The last few Saturdays have been horrendous, so I guess most folk were just happy to play in some decent weather.

Anyway I was happy with my round, made 3 errors (2 mental) but outside that I was very solid. I holed out well from 3-4 feet but didn't really hole any putts outside that. Not complaining too much, I hit 14 greens and 8 fairways. My ball striking really came on this weekend which was rthe biggest positive.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Well I failed to make the top 10 in mine but was 11th with a net 77. The greens need watering, they were way too firm. Was quite pleased though - played in from the 12th in +2.

At the business end 3rd place shot a net 71 but the top 2 were both 18 hcappers and had net 65s. That's a huge leap (not quite Turnberry '77 but the same spread :laugh:)

74 is a nice round IG - well played. The weather has been great and it's been a joy to play in it.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Well played, the green keepers at our course are evil, the pins are never more than 6 feet from the edge of the green or a huge slope in the green whenever the weather is decent.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Cheers Guys

Yeah, nice to play in a tee-shirt and having to worry about getting sun-burn, eh? Makes a difference from gales, rain, sleet etc.

The course is really starting to firm up, so 300+ yard drives are now becoming more frequent!! :laugh:

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
My 75 nett 69 on saturday got me a Top 5 place and I'm leading the Captains Qualifiers with a total of 5 under. It was won with a nett 65 by a 17 capper, a four handicapper shot level gross and came 3rd. We have a few Scratch handicappers who would have to have broken the course record by two shots to get in a card play off!!!..... I think my club needs to start having an overall winner as well as a Band A (cat1 & 2) and Band B (Cat3 & 4) winner to keep every body intreasted.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I agree Paul.

I play early in the morning, so my score is uninfluenced by what's already in. But imagine knowing that you would need to shoot a 67 just to tie for the best score. That's the course record.

I'm sure the young lad who shot the 69 was gutted by not winning. In fairness the dude that shot this score is a great player, used to be low single figures for a long time. My FiL played with him and he said he played great, no big mistakes and holed everything from inside 10ft.

Just goes to show you though how defenseless links courses are with favorable elements and the ground starting to harden up.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I agree Paul.

I play early in the morning, so my score is uninfluenced by what's already in. But imagine knowing that you would need to shoot a 67 just to tie for the best score. That's the course record.

I'm sure the young lad who shot the 69 was gutted by not winning. In fairness the dude that shot this score is a great player, used to be low single figures for a long time. My FiL played with him and he said he played great, no big mistakes and holed everything from inside 10ft.

Just goes to show you though how defenseless links courses are with favorable elements and the ground starting to harden up.

I was out last on saturday and knew a 65 was in. This meant I'd have to shoot scratch (71) for a card playoff!!! I was 3 over going out, Birdied 10 to get back to +2, then knocked to about 8 foot on par 3 11th and thought two birdies and I could have this... the putt just missed by a fraction but I was still in with a chance. Then got to 8 foot in 2 on the par 4 12th and 3 stabbed!!! GAME OVER!!! :) I then played for a score to get my Cap down :)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Handicap tournaments will never be fair. Ever. Even "flighted" ones.

There will always be somebody who legitimately shoots a career round, or a prick who inflates his handicap.

Our last tourney, a new guy entered D flight, for 20+ handicappers, and shot a 84. The next lowest score in D flight was a 101.

Just in case he is reading, I would like him to know how much I admire his golfing skills. Being able to take down women and guys 40 years his senior is something of which he should be proud. I look forward to playing him in a B flight match in a few years, when he grows up. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.