• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shots off of tight lies

Rich

Aug 16, 2005
The answer to my question may be obvious to most but its something that I've been struggling with. When hitting shots from tight lies is it best to make contact with the ball first? I've been trying to hit just behind the ball and end up hitting it fat most of the time while taking a large divot behind the ball. I was recently told to try to strike the ball first and take a small to medium divot in front of the ball. Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rich said:
I've been trying to hit just behind the ball and end up hitting it fat most of the time while taking a large divot behind the ball.

Yep, this is wrong.

Rich said:
I was recently told to try to strike the ball first and take a small to medium divot in front of the ball.

Rich,

While this is an aquired skill and tough to do for beginners, this is basically the right idea. Whoever gave you this info should follow you to the grocery store and pick your veggies out. From this aforementioned advice, he'd know a fresh melon from an overripe one. :D

Cheers,

R35

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Yeah, you want to err a bit on the thin side on tight lies. I tend to choke up on the club a bit and move the ball back in my stance an inch or two for those shots.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
It really depends on the type of shot you are trying to play. A chip from a tightly mown collar, would be totally different than hitting off hardpan for example. The varying give in turf really is what determines how to play the shot.

Tight fairways and collars, I try to "clip it" if that makes any sense.
Hardpan and pine needles I try to strike the ball then turf at a very steep angle.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Hit ball first, divot after. Hands slightly forward of ball at impact can do the trick ;)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I LOVE hitting off of hardpan. It's almost as awesome as getting stung in the face by the John Daly of bees.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
VtDivot said:
I'll take hardpan over pinestraw tho...
I agree, especially if you're hitting something mid-iron or below. Just take a club extra, push the ball back and punch it and the shot becomes pretty easy.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Loop said:
Hit ball first, divot after. Hands slightly forward of ball at impact can do the trick ;)

Couldn't agree more - and this holds true for all shots (other than bunker) ... think we can close this out now ..

🔥 Latest posts