• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shots you remember

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
United States United States
Tee'd up on the 9th box yesterday while I'm talking with one of the volunteers who played 9 with us.
I sometimes make the mistake of continuing to talk right up til Im starting to swing, which Im sure is a one reason (among a few) I score better playing alone.

So of course the ball doesnt go where I wanted it to go, but thankfully it does actually end up where I SHOULD have been trying to make it go (if I had any sense).
Its in the short rough by a bunker that actually shortens the whole by probably 75 yards or more (as opposed to driving to the center of the dogleg then coming in from there).
But your firing blind across tall trees so you have to walk a few yards, try to get your line, then walk back to your ball and get it your best shot.

Im sure you better players could have done better than I did, but I ended up hitting the green based on where my ball was had a pretty good zero on the flag when I made the shot.
Used my trusty 4 hybrid, which was a little longer than I'd hoped, but its the club I have the most confidence in of all that I have now. The 5 might have been a better choice distance wise, but Im having some problems hitting the 5 for some weird reason. Just dont trust it right now.
Walked off with a par, thankfully.

I love it when there is some extra challenge to a shot.
For some reason I have more trouble sitting on a tee box hitting down a open fairway than I do being in trouble deep in the woods.
I think I get that driving range mentality on the tee a lot of times rather than focusing on a specific target or goal.

I would like to hear about some of those shots you all have made that you'll never forget.:)
Its one of the things that make this game memorable.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Mine was on a uphill par five. I drove it into some young pine trees on the left side. I had about 210 uphill and had to go around the pine trees in front of me. I had to aim about 45 degrees off the line directly to the green and bend it back.

I hit the exact shot i was trying for, which is an accomplishment in itself for me. I ended up about ten feet out for eagle.

I shot par. Lol

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Reminds me of the hole that got me hooked on the game. 280ish par 4, dogleg right. I drove it to 12 feet maybe. I was freaking out, I was so happy. I had only played maybe 2-3 rounds before that...ever. I went on to 4 putt for a bogey....my best hole of the day. :)

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
On the base out here they have a goat track links style for half of the course. The only difference between the fairway and the rough is sometimes they mow the patchy fw to a few inches tall. Never had a birdie at this point, lucky to ever get a par. Decent drive, followed by a grounder for a ways, then hit the most pure and lucky 4 iron I've ever had straight at the pin. Gorgeous shot for a mere mortal, everyone oohed and awed. On the green in 3 shooting for bird.....

3 putt my way to bogey like a boss.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
My Sophomore year of high school (1992) in the state championship, I drove it into a fairway bunker on a long par 4. I had 205 to the pin, over a small creek that ran in front of the green. I went for it with my TM Burner 5-wood (I think the head was smaller than the ball) and picked it clean, over the creek, to about 3 feet. I missed the putt.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
At Cimarron in Cathedral City, CA, hit a six iron from the fairway over a lake, no less, landed on the green and rolled into the cup. Rather a surreal feeling washed over me as I watched. Had to blink a couple of times to be certain I actually saw what I did.
That's awesome! Furthest I've ever holed out from, was about 50 yards.

hepkat

Aug 7, 2013
Mpls
Country
The most memorable shots have to do with my progress and evolution as a player. As a kid, I recall a par 4 that required a long carry off the tee to get on top of the hill to see the green. Reaching the top of the hill was a milestone. Still can see that ball against blue sky, backlit by the late afternoon sun. The shot that sticks in my mind as of late, is an escape shot from the trees -- a low, slicing 4-iron that ducked under the branches, curved out onto the fairway, and rolled right up the throat of the apron onto the green. Seve Ballesteros would have approved...

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
I've made 4 holes in one, but the shot I remember the most was on a par 5 with an elevated green. I was about 210 out and hitting my 2nd shot directly into the sun. I flushed the shot, but when I looked up, all I could see was the sun. When we got to the green, we couldn't find my ball which I thought was odd 'cause I was pretty certain I hit a good shot. After searching around the green for a couple of minutes, my father walked over to the hole and says "I found it".
That was on a Fri. afternoon. The previous Sun., I had made one of my HIO's. It was a good week :)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've made 4 holes in one, but the shot I remember the most was on a par 5 with an elevated green. I was about 210 out and hitting my 2nd shot directly into the sun. I flushed the shot, but when I looked up, all I could see was the sun. When we got to the green, we couldn't find my ball which I thought was odd 'cause I was pretty certain I hit a good shot. After searching around the green for a couple of minutes, my father walked over to the hole and says "I found it".
That was on a Fri. afternoon. The previous Sun., I had made one of my HIO's. It was a good week :)

I hate guys like you. But it's only because I'm jelly.

🔥 Latest posts