• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shots you remember

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
I was playing a par 5 that sweeps to the right, more of a crescent shape than a dog-leg... I had a decent drive down the right side of the fairway, leaving me 219 to the pin. Problem was I had to go over a large mound which completely blocked my view of the green, which had a bunker right in the middle front, splitting it into two halves. The pin was on the tree-lined right side which made it even less accessible. I said f-it and decided to try threading the needle, and nutted one of the best 3-irons I've ever hit, right over the mound. I put my club away and started walking. My playing partner, who was about 50 yards ahead of me standing on another mound, started clapping. When we got to the green I saw that I had nearly slam-dunked it and had only about 8 feet for eagle... which I promptly missed. :D

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I've had a hole in one on a 215 yard par 3 which I'll always remember of course, but my most memorable shot is a tale of woe rather than whimsy.

I was playing in the final round of the club champs at my new club, all square with another young guy hitting off the last tee. I'd won club champs before but only at small clubs where there wasn't much competition so as you can guess the nerves were starting to appear.

The 18th was a par 5 of around 530 yards, pine trees on the right off the tee and big bunkers on the left. We both successfully negotiated the tee shot hitting fairly good drives. He hit next and put his 2nd into 4 inch high rough on the left, about 140 out. My drive had just got over the top of a small hill so I was left with a slightly downhill lie, about 290 out. I decided to hit three wood and caught it ok, but a bit skinny. It just run into some low rough on the right, about 125 yards out. All good.

He hits his next shot and catches a small flyer out of the rough. The ball catches the back of the green and goes over. An incredibly tough up and down from there with a back-to-front sloping green, so advantage me. I only have PW in hand and just have to hit the green to really put the pressure on. What follows next still haunts me to this day.

My ball is sitting up well in the rough, and in the end, too well. I slide under it with the wedge, popping it up high and ultimately short left, into the front bunker.

His shot first at the green and he plays a decent, if safe, flop shot that bounces near the flag and runs 30 foot past and sits near the edge, but still on, the green. My lie isn't great in the pot, but I concentrate fully and hit a decent explosion that bounces about 2 foot short of the pin but runs about 6 feet past.

He lines up his putt from every conceivable angle, steps up and knocks the ******* thing in! Now all of a sudden after looking good for the win I've got a downhill, sliding 6 footer to force the playoff!

I also study the putt from every conceivable angle and determine that it should break about an inch and a half to 2 inches right to left. I hit a perfect putt that starts dead on line with the right lip, but it DOES NOT MOVE. Not one single solitary millimetre. It catches the lip with no pace and still shoots out at a 90° angle. Im completely numb for what felt like an eternity. Then my hands are actually trembling with rage so much that I can't even tap in the 4 inch putt remaining. I eventually do so but I just feel totally sick in the stomach.

After the round I went back and putted from the same spot 3 times, 2 of which went in just left of centre and the other lipped out left side! I'm a self-confessed atheist but I still believe there were higher forces at play that day.

I went back and won the next year in some weird circumstances there too, but that wedge from 125 on that day will be the shot that haunts me from now until eternity.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Hit my approach shot left of the 18th green and it wound up about pin high on hardpan...yep, hard dirt. It hadn't been the best round, I was tired and pissed, and decided I didn't care what the smart play was. I had been consistent with my 56 all day, and was playing it regardless.

One of my buddies jokingly went to the other side of the green to catch the ball.

Lined up the shot, played it like it was in the fairway. It came out low and hot, hit the green halfway to the pin, hit just past and stopped dead. My playing partners said it was spinning like crazy.

Ran in the 2 footer for par.

I have no idea what I did to create enough backspin to stop it, and I doubt I'll ever try that again. But, on that day, it worked!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I have no idea what I did to create enough backspin to stop it, and I doubt I'll ever try that again. But, on that day, it worked!

That's what happens when you hit one solid and there isn't any grass between the ball and the club face. :p

🔥 Latest posts