• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shots you remember

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
United States United States
I played with a guy once that yanked his tee shot on a par three into the woods. About a second after going in, we heard it hit a tree and then came shooting out of the woods, onto the green and into the hole!

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
Here's another funny story:
I used to own a club repair business and one of my customers was a driving range. The owner put in a par 3 course and had an opening day scramble. I got my father (who played quite a bit), one of my brothers (who played a little) and my other brother who didn't know the difference between a golf club and a billy club but said he'd play 'cause I told him there would be beer on the course.(I brought my wife's clubs for him).

He showed up in his best denim jeans, his best denim jacket, and work boots. We went to the range before the tournament to see if we could get him to swing a club and hit the ball. He rolled just about every ball he tried to hit. The only club he was able to hit the ball in the air with was a 5 iron.

So the tournament starts and on every tee he says to me (being very serious) "so what do you think Mark...5 iron"? Up until this one particular hole I just agreed with him.

Then we come to this one hole that is only 96 yds., and he says to me "what do you think Mark...5 iron"? I said "why don't you try hitting something else...try a 9 iron.

So he takes out the 9 iron, tees it up, and swings. Just like on the range, he rolls it, but the ground between the tee and green is all hard pan. the ball starts rolling and bouncing all the way to the green and goes in the hole! First time on a golf course and first time ever swinging a club, and he makes a hole in one!

There was a set of irons up for grabs for anyone that made a HIO on that hole, and a putter for closest to the pin. He went home that day with almost $600 worth of golf equipment.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A couple come to mind...
Just started playing this stupid game. Son-in-law wasn't SIL, yet, just dating daughter. He had played a lot of golf and I couldn't sniff the level he played at. We went out to play a local course. #1 was a short par 4, uphill. I sliced a drive over behind trees and a hill. Couldn't even see the green. I had him get up where he could sorta line me up with the green. Skulled a 3-iron past him about knee high. He dodged out of the way and didn't see where my ball ended up. We looked all around the green. Finally, he looked in the hole. Eagle!!

I've had 2 holes in one. Haven't seen either one go in the hole. First was in '94. Playing with my brother-in-law and two guys we didn't know. Hit my tee shot on a par 3 and it stung like crazy. Caught it thin, thin, thin! Turned around and slammed the club into the ground. All three of the guys started shouting that the ball went in the hole. I thought they were kidding. When we got to the green, BIL showed me my ball in the hole.
Second one was in '04. Playing on a foggy, misty morning. Could barely see the flag on the green. Hit a great feeling 8-iron. Got to the green and couldn't find my ball. Told my partner it had to be short, since I didn't have enough club to hit it past the green. We looked quite a while before he happened to look in the hole. HIO #2.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I've had a couple that I remember pretty vividly.

1.) I was playing with two uncles and a cousin at one of the city courses here in Madison. We step up to a shortish and straightish par-5. I tee off first, and pipe my drive into the center of the fairway, leaving me with about 180 or so yards out. My cousin and one uncle had hit their tee shots into the sh!t left, so they were looking for their balls. I stepped up to my ball, and hit a pretty thin 5-iron. Never got very high, and I was kinda disappointed in the shot. But it was going straight, so my disappointment was diminished. I saw the ball land short of the green, bounce, bounce, and roll a bit. From my vantage point, it looked like it was right next to the pin when it stopped. But from 180 yards out, it's so hard to judge that sort of thing. It was a nice shot, but I was sure that it had gone 20 feet past the hole. My uncle John, shoots me a thumbs-up, and yells over, "that's right by the hole!" I shouted back that it must be about 20' past, but thanks for the compliment. However, when we get to the green, sure enough, my ball is no further than 10 inches from the cup. Missed an albatross, but I will take a tap-in eagle any day of the week. My first eagle, too.

2.) While not nearly as satisfying as a tap-in eagle, the other shot that I vividly remember comes at a time when my skills as a golfer were showing some more steady improvements. I was playing in the rain at a 9-hole muni not far from where I live, and was on the first hole of the day. It's a very short par-4, barely 290 yards. But it's an elevated tee. Not to sound like the guys over at WRX, but I can (and have) hit it through the green on that hole. And past the hole is some really crappy grass and a street. So I hit my 4-wood instead, which I popped up and only had the ball travel about 170 yards. When I got to my ball, the line to the green had 2 pine trees and a bunker, and a green which sloped away from the bunker and downhill. I lined up my 9-iron, and the swing just felt so perfect, and so smooth. I flushed the shot, and hit it to about 8' away. Ball stuck where it landed. I nailed the birdie putt, center of the cup. I shot bogey golf, as I recall, the rest of the round. But just that feeling of how pure I hit that 9-iron was really one cool moment.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.