• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ShotTalk Virtual Tournament 2005: USA vs ROTW

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
The ShotTalk Virtual Tournament is starting soon!

What is it?
For people new here or those moon marrooning, it is a tournament where ShotTalk members compete against each other as a team. Look at it as a Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup event.
Teams are the USA vs ROTW (Rest Of The World). Depending on which country you live, you'll be assigned to the appropriate team.

When is it starting?
Around mid-March. But some canadians are freezing their paws with snow geese. Canadians will play around mid-end-April.

How does it work?
You need to play an 18-hole round, but not on any day. The round that counts for the tournament has been set to every Saturday. If you can't play on Saturday, choose the day closest to Saturday.
If you only have access to a 9-hole course, you need to play that course twice, whether it be the same day or over two days.

Scoring
A modified Stableford scoring has been set.
So you need to keep track of every eagle, birdie, par, bogeys, etc you've played on a round. You can't just input your final score :p
Also, you need to know the course rating you've played in. Generally, that number can be found on the course scorecard, and it's between 65 to 75.

Albatross 5 points
Eagle 4 points
Birdie 3 points
Par 2 points
Bogie 1 point
Double 0 point
Triple -1
Over triple -2

Can I play in the tourney?
Absolutely. Whether you're scratch or a hacker, the more the merrier.
Besides it's free.
To sign in, email to bdcrowe at bd-crowe[at]comcast[dot]net
with desired name (for recognition's sake let's just make it your username here).
email address
desired password
Team you'll be on-- i.e. US or ROTW

Then access bd's site here... to input your score.

So far, the following ShotTalk users are participating in the tourney.

Team ROTW
Graso (Australia)
IrishGolfer (Ireland)
JasonMacIsaac (Canada)
loop (Canada)
mahalleday (Canada)
rockford35 (Canada)
Silver (Canada)
TheMaster (Ireland)

Team USA
Augster
bdcrowe
Bravo hybrid
DaveE
Farquod
FunkyBuddha
Goatster
nsherman2006
youngun5
slingblade61
SpankDoggieBaller
tight_lies

What does the team win?
The Turkey Trophy. :p

More info for the serious readers...
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488

So join in, because we need more people to help the ROTW team :canadafla :ukflag: :australia :germanyfl :japanflag

I'll update this post as things starts rolling in.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I still say we wait until everyone can participate (damn Canucks...). If one team starts posting full rounds before another complete team, then the team with the most rounds entered gets the advantage. Even though the winner will be determined by POQ score AVERAGE for the season, those with more rounds entered will have the advantage. JMO...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bd:

First, I agree that it is a good idea to wait until the Maple Leafs can play. We want to create an espirit de corps here and if they are on the sidelines, it won't be as much fun.

Next, Let's nominate Captains. The Captain can write a weekly report on his team, strengths/weaknesses, good performances, meltdowns etc.

I like your site. Pretty straightforward - so much so that maybe I can even operate it....

Whadaya say? Let's nominate team Captains?

I nominate Sling - in honor of the great job he has done in getting the site up and running.

ROTW - who are your choices?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
bd:

The Captain can write a weekly report on his team, strengths/weaknesses, good performances, meltdowns etc.

This had me laughing out loud in my office this morning....

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
This had me laughing out loud in my office this morning....

R35

Ya think maybe I could ask Hal Sutton to describe the performance by the Yanks in the last Ryder Cup??

Oh yeah that would be fun...

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Waaaaa. We Canucks can't play 'cause it's cold outside. Waaaaaaa. We Canucks can't play 'cause there's snow on the ground. Waaaaaa. They killed hockey!

Man up and play, dammit!

;)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
buddha33 said:
Waaaaa. We Canucks can't play 'cause it's cold outside. Waaaaaaa. We Canucks can't play 'cause there's snow on the ground. Waaaaaa. They killed hockey!

Man up and play, dammit!

;)

This sounds a bit like one of your exchanges with Besson....ahhh memories....

OP
L

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I'd like to. I just can't putt the ball, the hole is covered with ice. :p

Now, for captain nominations for the ROTW team, I'd go with that loudtalker Rock. I'm sure he can instill some peptalk to us hackers.

BTW, any ideas on how long will the tourney last?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I think it should last from mid-April to the end of September...

Does this pretty much define the golf season in Canada?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I'll second the nomination for Sling. Good idea.

Rockford would be a good choice for you Canucks. An arrogant bastard like him should make a great captain. :p

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Sling is a good nomination. ROTW, you do not get a captain since TM crowned himself. So, I guess you get a dictator.

The season will last until the US team wins, be that 1 week or 12 years, we play until we have more points. Fair enough?

;)

edit:
How did I miss that. Rock, you arrogant bastard!

🔥 Latest posts