• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I drop a wedge and add....

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I am pretty happy with my bag right now, no huge yardage gaps jump out at me. Sooo, like any good ho, I am thinking about dropping one of the 4 wedges I cary and maybe adding a hybrid. I do have a little bit of a gap between my 4 iron and my 5 wood, maybe fill it with a 4 hybrid? My wedge setup is as follows: Mizzy MX 200 PW & GW, Cleveland CG14 56 & 60. Thinking about dumping the 60( I hit it well, but can hit almost the exact same shots with the 56) to add the hybrid. either talk me into it or talk me out of it. Here is what my yardages look like(not internet, measured with GPS):
Driver: 285(all carry)
3wd: 265
5wd:245
4I: 220
5I:210
6I:200
7I:185
8I: 175
9I: 160
PW: 150
GW: 135
SW: 120
LW: 105

I have hit all these clubs farther, but those are distances I feel 'safe' with for each club. Driver and 3wd will be a little farther once I go to Ken and get the right shafts in them, as both are all carry with no roll right now. Should I just leave it be and not worry about a hybrid now?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I'm sort of in the same boat you're in... except I carry and 3-hybrid and no 4-iron, and I carry a PW(47*), my 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges. I find that I would miss having one of those wedges more than I miss not having that 4-iron. The options you have available for carrying the extra wedge for me works out really well. Sometimes I do have a number where a 4-iron would be nice... but generally speaking I can make it work.

The next set of irons I buy I'll most likely get 4-pw(most likely in the spring), dump the 3-hybrid and 5-wood, and get a 2-hybrid.

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
My main thing is that I seledom hit the 56. I play the 60 out of bunkers, chips and pitches, flops, etc, all. I only use the 56 when there is a longer buker shot(not often, but on occasion) or when I am in the 110 to 115 range.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
My main thing is that I seledom hit the 56. I play the 60 out of bunkers, chips and pitches, flops, etc, all. I only use the 56 when there is a longer buker shot(not often, but on occasion) or when I am in the 110 to 115 range.

Oh just admit it! You're just trying to justify a 'ho! DOOO EET! You know you're going to! :) :D :biglol:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
5wd:245
4I: 220
5I:210
If you are hesitant to drop the wedge, another option may be to drop the 4i and get a club that goes about 225-230.

That is what I personally would do, although my mentality is different than most, as firstly I hit a 4 hybrid to that which I hit a 4i, so I would be more looking at a 7w or probably a 18-19* hybid to fill that gap, which is more a 2i/R-3i/R and not a 4i/R.

I am also not usually consistent enough with a club that long distance wise to really benefit in filling that gap to within 10 yards. Mine are roughly:
4i/R - 175
7w - 190
4w - 210
and I am quite happy with that setup, with the exception that my 4w is no where as consistent in distance as my 7w. Even when it was 185 and 210, I think it was pointless for me to even try and fill that gap. My wedges I can control to with a few yards.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
How often do you think you'll really be hitting something 230? Less often than your 56, I would guess.

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Oh just admit it! You're just trying to justify a 'ho! DOOO EET! You know you're going to! :) :D :biglol:
That could be part of it. I am going to really look at what clubs I hit over the next few rounds and go from there.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I can't see having more than the 3.. well 4 wedges.. PW, 52/56/60...

I honestly could ditch my 52 and 56, and get a 54 or something like that, and lend me the alternative to add another longer utility club.

My hybrid is THE BOMB. I don't know how I attempted to play without it. I use it for everything.. Choke down on it, and bust one low and short.. Rail on it and send it 210 screaming into the green..

I think you can take a basic wedge, something around 56, and work it to your advantage and use more feel and creativity.. But I'm one of those players. I'd rather take more club, open it up, and drop it in, than take a full club and rail on it.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I would say change out hybrids and long irons based on the course and conditions. I'd rather have the full set of wedges. I just don't hit enough long irons and hybrids to justify taking out a wedge.

🔥 Latest posts