• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I fiddle with the tee placement?

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
So I just started golfing last year and got my first lessons back when I first started. I was having a hell of a time with my driver, just couldn't hit it for anything.

After messing around with me for a while and straightening out my swing he had me try my driver. Topping it, worm burners, real thin hits. So he had me move it forward and tee it higher. Little adjustment here and there and soon the teen was up a bit past my lead toe and teed real high, like tee barely in the ground high.

This set up got me good lift and I can hit it pretty good this way...

but as I have been playing more it seems counter-productive. I can't get it out of my head that it should be moved inside my lead foot and teed lower, for 'maximum effect' if you will. My balls are launching too high and I feel like I'm losing distance and what would be a relatively acceptable fade/draw are turning into hooks and slices because of the hang time...

Every time I see my drives balloon up out there I think, "Man, if that was a lower trajectory it would have stayed on the fairway and gotten another 10 yds!" instead of slicing into the trees.

I have lessons with another instructor (for various reasons I didn't like the first guy) but that's not for two weeks.

My question is, should I go with what I've been doing for the next two weeks (probably three rounds) and not screw mysewlf up, or should I try moving around my tee placemenmtt and height and risk blowing myself up for these next few rounds?

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
What I'd do is, I'd head to the nearest range. Fiddle with tee placement there. Put it inside your stance, put it outside your stance. Tee it up high, tee it up a little lower. Just look for your sweet spot. If you can't find it, put it back to where you were taught.

I've actually had no lessons in playing golf for 6 years. I was at the range and some guy behind me, it was just me and him there, kept giving me pointers. I never seen his face, for all I know he could of been Tiger Woods. But his words are still the ones I live off of today, and stance/tee placement is different for everyone.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online