• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I get blades?

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
So I want a new set of irons, but I want to learn to hit my clubs perfecyly, so I was thinking of getting blades. I don't hit it out of the middle every time, but I want to get a set that forces me to do so, so I get good at striking the ball perfectly. I have ISIK's which are quite forgiving, but What I want to buy are something along the lines of nike VR PRO blades, or Mizuno mp-4's. The other option I am considering is something gallon the lines of the nike vr combo blades, or the mizuno mp-64's, but I really want to perfect my swing, regardless of the short term effects.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Very few pros these days have pure blades. They look nice, are kinda cool, intimate that you are a playa, but really don't deliver consistently. Will they force you to hit it better? Only if you are prepared to put in 1000s of hours of practice and hit 10s of 1000s of shots. Spend that time to work on your short game and use what technology is available. You'll see a dramatic improvement in your game. It's not how, but how many.

Last edited:

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I don't buy into the "forcing me to hit better" idea that people throw around. I'd go with the VR Pro combos (or something similar) but not full blades yet.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
...but they look so fucking cool!

I have a friend who will tell you he is a 5 cap but he is more like a 12 or more. He just bought a set of mp4 about 2 weeks ago. He couldn't hit them for shit and now he's trying to trade them. Just sayin.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
I don't think you can hit any club perfecyly.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I don't buy into the "forcing me to hit better" idea that people throw around. I'd go with the VR Pro combos (or something similar) but not full blades yet.
I get that, but I do but into it, I want to be the best player I can be, and I am using these more as a tool to learn as opposed to something that will improve my scores right away.
Very few pros these days have pure blades. They look nice, are kinda cool, intimate that you are a playa, but really don't deliver consistently. Will they force you to hit it better? Only if you are prepared to put in 1000s of hours of practice and hit 10s of 1000s of shots. Spend that time to work on your short game and use what technology is available. You'll see a dramatic improvement in your game. It's not how, but how many.

I am definately ready to put in all of the work that I can, because I can't think of anything I'd rather do for thousands of hours forger than play the greatest game on earth, I am definately ready for that.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I get that, but I do but into it, I want to be the best player I can be, and I am using these more as a tool to learn as opposed to something that will improve my scores right away.
Hey man... if you want blades, knock yourself out. Just remember that learning to hit blades doesn't mean it'll automatically make you the best player you can be.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Some play to enhance their ego. "I play blades!" Others play to improve their game and score the best they can. You will find most of those play either combo sets or game improvement irons. It is difficult to talk an "ego enhancer" out of blades.

I firmly believe the suggestion that blades will "force" one to hit the ball better is nothing but an excuse to have a bag that "looks good". Learn to hit your iSi irons on the sweet spot and you will score just as well as hitting blades. Learn to shine up that dime-sized spot in the middle of your iSi's and you will lower your handicap significantly.

If you must have irons that, when you set your bag down on the first tee box people say "This kid has way too much money to waste!"... go for it. I'd much rather someone not even notice my bag, toss a few dollars out there, and see a cherished set of "old friends" take it from them. This is a game of consistency. To get really, really good you must know when you strike an iron it goes 148, not 143 or 153. The slightest misshit with blades loses that consistency. Again, play to lower your score... not to enhance your ego.

As others have said, if you want what the best players play... look at the Tour. Fewer and fewer blades. One of the ONLY guys still playing blades is the Great One. Lee Westwood played Zing 2's up until about 2 years ago!! You will see the "S" series Pings... not a full blade... combo sets of Callaways and Nikes. Look at the bags of the Titleist players. You will find AP2's in many more bags than the MB series. Why? It's not how... it's how many!!!!

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Oh, my bad anon, I for got about that lol.

Limp: thank you for the Input, but on the esthetic comment, I think my isik's are pretty sweet looking, I mostly want an upgrade from those, the shafts are starting to rust out, and they are also quite heavy. Also if I wanted a cooler looking set, I would get the nike vr pro combo's, because that split cavity is real easy on the eyes. I get that I want consistency in my game, and you are right that I should get a combo blade (probobly the mp-64) so I get decent consistency and controll of a blade, but also the nice workability if a true muscle back, and It will help I guess that the long irons are more forgiving.

Last edited:

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Muscle cavities are the modern blade. They carry toe weight to forgive the big weakness of blades, the circular sweet spot, they are bigger, which coincides with the longer shafts. They have center mass weight which is the strength of blades and they have feel that is slightly less than blades but way more than any GI iron head. Taylormade 2014 TP MC should be on your list too, as they also have the speed pocket on the mid and long irons.

Members online

No members online now.