• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I replace my non-comforming wedges?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I'm still playing wedges with the big grooves, but they are getting worn down...especially my 60*. I play the Vokey Spin Milled and all the milling is long gone and the grooves are no longer sharp on either of my wedges. My 60* really looks like crap, the face is dinged up and rusty...and it's not the oil can version.

Have you guys played the new conforming wedges? If so, did you notice any difference in spin or playability?

The reason I ask is, I found a great deal on two new ones. $140 to replace them both.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The difference is really not significant. Instead of big deep grooves, there are MORE smaller grooves. Since the purpose of grooves it to channel moisture away from the ball/club impact, more smaller grooves has a very similar effect to fewer big grooves.

I'm going from ZTP's from 2009ish to new Nike VR Pro's, and I have not yet noticed a difference. The Nikes are cooler looking. There really wont be any difference unless you're in reasonably thick wet rough, and even then I think it would be a minimal difference.

Don't hit it in the rough. :)

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The are plenty of the non-CoC wedges still in shops. If you have the choice, go for them. I stocked up on mine so I won't have to worry about this issue for a looooong time. Why make the game any harder if you don't have to? There are plenty of times where I've pitched out of green side rough & the ball has stopped on a dime. The wider grooves definitely help. Short game is the scoring game. :)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The are plenty of the non-CoC wedges still in shops. If you have the choice, go for them. I stocked up on mine so I won't have to worry about this issue for a looooong time. Why make the game any harder if you don't have to? There are plenty of times where I've pitched out of green side rough & the ball has stopped on a dime. The wider grooves definitely help. Short game is the scoring game. :)

Have you actually tried hitting shots with the new grooves from lies like that? I can honestly say I don't notice a difference, but I haven't tried both, brand new, from identical lies. I do think the difference would be minimal, now that manufacturers have "figured it out." The volume of moisture that the grooves are able to move away from the contact point is almost identical, I'd imagine.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Have you actually tried hitting shots with the new grooves from lies like that? I can honestly say I don't notice a difference, but I haven't tried both, brand new, from identical lies. I do think the difference would be minimal, now that manufacturers have "figured it out." The volume of moisture that the grooves are able to move away from the contact point is almost identical, I'd imagine.

I've seen a number of test results & the CoC grooves are inferior from the rough. But in any event I was responding to the OP. It's his choice. I'm very happy with my Nike non-CoC wedges. That's why I'm playing them. I moved across from Vokeys to them.

It's all a matter of personal choice. It doesn't worry me what others play. I just look to avoid senseless arguments. :)

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
The dealer I'm getting these from has some non-conforming Vokeys in the correct lofts left but the bounce is off. If he had some identical to mine, it would be a no-brainer for me...I would've grabbed them in a heartbeat.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Unless you're playing tournaments, I wouldn't get wrapped up in whether your wedges conform or not. If you need new wedges, replace them. If you don't, then don't.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I do play tournaments...not as much as I used to but there is 3 events a year that I do not miss. But I think we can still use non-conforming wedges, if I'm not mistaken...until 2015 maybe?

My wedges do need replaced, but it's not necessary. I'm sure I could play them for the rest of my life if I wasn't concerned with maximizing my spin.

I would really like to have identical replacements, but $70 per wedge is hard to pass up.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I thought I got a deal, and I paid more than that x.x DO IT!

I have a friend that is a Titleist dealer. I'm sure $70 is real close to his cost. I can get great deals on clubs but balls is a different story, I pretty much have to pay full price for ProVs.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I do play tournaments...not as much as I used to but there is 3 events a year that I do not miss. But I think we can still use non-conforming wedges, if I'm not mistaken...until 2015 maybe? ...

It really is a non-issue for us non-elite golfers. See below.

"Finally, all existing clubs that presently conform to the rules will continue to be deemed conforming through at least 2024, when the condition of competition is expected to become a permanent equipment specification."

USGA questions & answers re the new groove rules

I have my gamers with the non-CoC grooves. In keeping with overkill, I have identical new wedges sitting in my cupboard for when my gamers wear out. :)

Members online

No members online now.